PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu email anyone?

zacinator
May 22nd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Ok here is my dilemma. I had used gmail almost since it came out. Then they blocked it at my work because people were using the chat function :mad:! So as a solution I signed up for a yahoo mail account and forwarded all my gmail to yahoo. Now it looks like Microsoft might buy Yahoo! And the last thing I want to do is use something that would give them any money whether by advertising or not.

So my question is... is there an open source email client or an ubuntu or linux type of email server? Preferably one that has RSS support. I wish I could go back to Gmail but because they have Google chat on the same page I can't!

Thanks!

mahy
May 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
If you're looking for an open-source e-mail client, there's plenty of them: Thunderbird, Evolution, KMail, Sylpheed, pine, mutt, nail, whatever... is that what you want?

As for the Gmail blocking, i really wouldn't wanna work for such company... :-/

If you don't find any suitable e-mail server, go set up your own! (http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/)

karellen
May 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
do you want an e-mail client (outlook, thunderbird, evolution) or an e-mail provider (yahoo, gmail, aim, hotmail etc) ?

zacinator
May 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
Email Provider

@mahy, if I could get a better job I would...

nsleiman
May 22nd, 2007, 12:29 PM
guess he wants an e-mail provider running on ubuntu-server :)
try to contact your admin and tell him that it is also possible to just disable the chat feature without blocking Gmail. its really bad and not wise at all what they ve done.

misfitpierce
May 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Could you maybe try accessing gmail.com using a proxy website like myspaceproxyx.com or proxify.com and browsing behind a open proxy? Works for getting past school blocks and things as it says lol

karellen
May 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
guess he wants an e-mail provider running on ubuntu-server :)
try to contact your admin and tell him that it is also possible to just disable the chat feature without blocking Gmail. its really bad and not wise at all what they ve done.

I go for this solution too

zacinator
May 23rd, 2007, 03:05 AM
Well as awesome as it is that I could proxy around the system, if I get caught I could lose my job and my wife would not appreciate that. So besides starting my own server what is the best alternative to gmail?

igknighted
May 23rd, 2007, 05:13 AM
Well as awesome as it is that I could proxy around the system, if I get caught I could lose my job and my wife would not appreciate that. So besides starting my own server what is the best alternative to gmail?

Why not install a client at work to get your gmail? Just read it all from thunderbird or outlook instead of using the site.

zacinator
May 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
Why not install a client at work to get your gmail? Just read it all from thunderbird or outlook instead of using the site.
This too is not allowed. I think it is phrased no unauthorized software. This is a state agency that uses MS products almost exclusively. We aren't even permitted to install Firefox! Its stuff like this that makes me want to go back to school and get my masters!

skillllllz
May 23rd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Ok here is my dilemma. I had used gmail almost since it came out. Then they blocked it at my work because people were using the chat function :mad:! So as a solution I signed up for a yahoo mail account and forwarded all my gmail to yahoo. Now it looks like Microsoft might buy Yahoo! And the last thing I want to do is use something that would give them any money whether by advertising or not.

So my question is... is there an open source email client or an ubuntu or linux type of email server? Preferably one that has RSS support. I wish I could go back to Gmail but because they have Google chat on the same page I can't!

Thanks!

Pass this on to your Administrator:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=34330&topic=8406

igknighted
May 23rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
This too is not allowed. I think it is phrased no unauthorized software. This is a state agency that uses MS products almost exclusively. We aren't even permitted to install Firefox! Its stuff like this that makes me want to go back to school and get my masters!

Outlook is part of MS office, and I think outlook express is a part of windows itself. Both of these can check gmail just fine.

dhruva023
May 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM
i think ubuntu should have an e.mail client for every ubuntu user to use.
it can work as a marketing.
if they start.
mine would be " dhruva023@ubuntu.com "