PDA

View Full Version : Sky Anytime

_simon_
May 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Not sure if this is available worldwide or not but basically, if you have Sky TV then you are automatically able to sign up to Sky Anytime which shows various sky programmes including films via your pc at no extra cost.

The catch is that it downloads Windows software.

I e-mailed them recently querying if they had any plans to offer Linux support and this is the reply I got:

MYSKY wrote:
> Thank you for your email concerning Sky Anytime on PC.
>
> I can confirm that customers who are registering for Sky Anytime on PC via a
> non- Windows XP computer will find that you are not given the option to
> download the application.
>
> Sky has selected Windows XP as the operating system of choice to launch Sky
> Anytime on PC. Taking into account the features of Sky Anytime on PC, we
> feel that Windows XP best meets the needs and expectations of our customers,
> particularly when watching videos on your PC.
>
> There are no firm plans to expand compatibility to other operating system at
> this time. However, we will always consider customer feedback in our plans
> to enhance the product in the future.
>
> Should you require further assistance, please contact me on the above email
> address or contact Sky Anytime on PC customer services on 0870 609 4508.
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Customer Relations Department
>
> -----------------------------------------
> Information in this email including any attachments may be
> privileged, confidential and is intended exclusively for the
> addressee. The views expressed may not be official policy, but the
> personal views of the originator. If you have received it in error,
> please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your
> system. You should not reproduce, distribute, store, retransmit,
> use or disclose its contents to anyone.
>
> Please note we reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
> communication through our internal and external networks.
>
> SKY and the SKY marks are trade marks of British Sky Broadcasting
> Group plc and are used under licence. British Sky Broadcasting
> Limited (Registration No. 2906991), Sky Interactive Limited
> (Registration No. 3554332), Sky-In-Home Service Limited
> (Registration No. 2067075) and Sky Subscribers Services Limited
> (Registration No. 2340150) are direct or indirect subsidiaries of
> British Sky Broadcasting Group plc (Registration No. 2247735). All
> of the companies mentioned in this paragraph are incorporated in
> England and Wales and share the same registered office at Grant
> Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD.
>

As stated, they currently only support Windows XP, not sure if that means it won't work in other Windows versions or not, however the main reason for this post is to hopefully get more Linux users to e-mail them about Linux support - the more the demand that there is, the more likely they are to take Linux users seriously!

Why should I, as a Sky customer lose out on available services, just because I don't run Windows XP?

I filled out on online forum to contact them, however they replied via: mysky@bskyb.com

DoctorMO
May 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM
You should have criticised their use of non standard protocols because that is what damages the market not the support for certain OSs.

If you can find out what kind of files they use, you might be able to work out a solution with other tools.

On the other hand have you tried to run it via wine? you can change the settings of your browser to lie about what it is so you can get the download.

ukripper
May 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
I am not sure if Virgin Media is offering the same service, perhaps all Linux user switch over to Virgin if they offer it and stop using Sky. In my case I am happy with freeview.

_simon_
May 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
You should have criticised their use of non standard protocols because that is what damages the market not the support for certain OSs.

If you can find out what kind of files they use, you might be able to work out a solution with other tools.

On the other hand have you tried to run it via wine? you can change the settings of your browser to lie about what it is so you can get the download.

I haven't bothered trying with WINE because it says that I need "Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1"

bjm1904
May 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I've just managed to get it working under wine (but I also had to download Windows Media Player 11, .NET Framework 2.0 and set it to Windows XP emulation, and use up 20 minutes more of my time...). I'm using Ubuntu Hardy with wine-1.0-rc2.

However, I agree it's a real pain that they haven't managed to produce a Linux (or even a Mac) version. I haven't tried it with Vista, as I don't want a ravenous, heavy beast which chews up expensive hardware any heavier or unintuitive to use!

Sky need to revise their strategy - I know this appeals to the majority, but it seriously misses a lot of the people who will actually use this technology. Or maybe that's what they're intending...