PDA

View Full Version : Found a nice laptop, will Ubuntu like the hardware?

FRuMMaGe
May 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
Revo Max T2250 Pro

15.4" X-Brite Screen
Intel Core Duo T2250 1.73Ghz 2MB Cache Dual Core Processor
2048MB DDR2 533MHz Memory
120GB SATA Hard Drive
Intel 943GM Graphics
Azalia High Definition Audio
DVDR Multi Burner
56K Internal Modem
10/100 & 54G Wireless LAN

£445.32 inc vat

Well?

FRuMMaGe
May 22nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
bumpity bump

FRuMMaGe
May 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
anyone?

brim4brim
May 22nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
I think this information is in the wiki or somewhere. Try looking there instead of just asking people as most people probably don't know and that's why the knowledge base was created.

southernman
May 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
The only thing that might cause a problem is the sata drive... though can't say for certain as I'm no hardware expert.

FRuMMaGe
May 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
The only thing that might cause a problem is the sata drive... though can't say for certain as I'm no hardware expert.

Why would it cause a problem?

southernman
May 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
The only reason I say this is, in my browsing/reading/trying to learn more... I've seen others have issues with sata drives. Do a forum search for sata drives and see what you come up with.

In fact, if you have time, search the forum for all the hardware you spec'd in the lappy...

blueturtl
May 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
As far as I know seems like dream lappy for Linux as most of the hardware seems to be from Intel, and we like Intel nowadays as they are the ones that provide actual support.

Here's how I see what you presented:

Intel CPU, ok!
Intel chipset (most likely since you have an Intel CPU), probably which means RAM and HDD ok!
Intel Graphics, ok!
Azalia Hi-Def audio, probably ok
DVD-Multi burner, ok!
56k modem, probably won't work if it's a WinModem (a modem that is run by a Windows driver rather than an actual hardware modem).
Intel 10/100 Mbps LAN, ok!
Intel 54G Wireless, ok!

If your wireless card is not Intel (which I think it is) that may be a problem. Also since the laptop is new you may encounter hardware recodnition issues. However as it seems to be mostly Intel stuff my bet is that if it doesn't work with 7.04 it will work with 7.10.

Looks like a sweet deal, just make sure that the motherboard chipset and wireless chipset are also Intel (and not VIA or ATI for example) and you should be good!