PDA

View Full Version : For the web people: Favorite FTP client?

ThinkBuntu
May 22nd, 2007, 03:53 AM
Simple enough: Which Linux or Unix FTP client do you prefer? Why?

shareMenaPeace
May 22nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
Best i found so far (to me) filezilla - because it is most intuitiv i found so far.

What it lacks?
I have to download files to edit them ( or i do something wrong).
No auto update feature.( I use old version).

gradedcheese
May 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM
/usr/bin/sftp

pmj
May 22nd, 2007, 05:56 AM
pftpfxp-mew

There are no good graphical clients for Linux.

aysiu
May 22nd, 2007, 06:08 AM
Check out What's your favorite graphical FTP client? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413665&highlight=ftp)

Jhongy
May 22nd, 2007, 06:32 AM
Been using gFTP gui, best of a bad bunch that I have tried. ... However drag 'n' drop doesn't work when pathnames have spaces in them.

The ftp browsing built into Nautilus would be geat --- IF it actually worked. However, it utterly CRAWLS along, and often times out. No idea why.

bpmorris
May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 AM
I actually have to say the FireFox addon FireFTP worked the best for me for transferring 'files' to my xbox, I had tried the others and had either very slow transfers or stalling/disconnecting between file copies. It may very well have been a configuration error but FireFTP worked like a charm first go and it looks slick too...

Cheers

Ben

[h2o]
May 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM
I just use nautilus.

v8YKxgHe
May 22nd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Filezilla. gFTP is good, however it's GUI seriously makes my fingers/wrists hurt after a while, the lack of tree-view means you have to double click in and out of all those folders, or type the absolute path .... really doesn't help anyone, so Filezilla all the way =)

jariku
May 22nd, 2007, 07:56 AM
In my experience, Filezilla for Linux does a very poor job compared to Filezilla for Windows.

Currently, I use Nautilus or gFTP but I'd switch for FireFTP in an instant if it'd support FTP over SSH and SFTP.

Spr0k3t
May 22nd, 2007, 08:23 AM
One of my favorite non-linux FTP programs is the FTP client inside of DOpus8/9.

Outside of that, gftp... I haven't found a decent graphical ftp client yet. Filezilla will do... but it lacks some features I really enjoyed with DOpus.

frodon
May 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
I would have surely choose filezilla if it would have support FTPS (TLS encryption) because it don't like GFTP unfortunatly so i use fireFTP.

dreadlord_chris
May 24th, 2007, 01:14 AM
KFTPGrabber - SSL/TLS/SFTP support, and the GUI doesn't suck.....

maniacmusician
May 24th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Konqueror

Mateo
May 24th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I use 2 different ones.

Mostly I use CurlFTPfs. This makes your ftp host get recognized as though it were a file system. Pretty cool. From there I just mv from nautilus or the command line. You can add a line to your fstab that automatically mounts the filesystem when you start the computer (if you want that).

I sometimes use gFTP as well.

reacocard
May 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM
gftp for manual transactions, weex for keeping a site in sync with my local copy.

MockY
May 24th, 2007, 04:50 AM
By far FlashFXP, though you are forced to use an older version for Linux. FileZilla works fine too but not nearly as good. All other clients for Linux really sucks and not even close to innovative in terms of GUI.

I would go with FireFTP or VirgoFTP if you want something that is supposed to be ran in Ubuntu.

morningboat
May 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Please check this link for a list of available FTP clients in Gnome: http://www.gnomefiles.org/subcategory.php?sub_cat_id=44
I have tried lots of clients in this list, and some others in KDE, while I found CrossFTP (http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php/CrossFTP_Client) is the most stable GUI FTP, which is quite similar to FlashFXP and with multi-tabs.

mech7
May 24th, 2007, 07:55 PM
FlashFXP is the best FireFTP is ok but kinda anooying as it doesn't do shortcuts and you have to make an account :(

rickyjones
May 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
To date I have not found an FTP client in Linux that can match FlashFXP for Windows.

-Richard

ThinkBuntu
May 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
KFTPGrabber seems nice, but I have yet to do any large-scale FTP transfers with Linux. I stick with CyberDuck on my Mac right now...but as soon as I can trust a Linux FTP client (a couple bad experiences with permissions shutting down sites when using gFTP and Kasablanca).

bvanaerde
May 24th, 2007, 08:39 PM
weex for keeping a site in sync with my local copy.
Oh, that (http://weex.sourceforge.net/) sounds really nice. Definately going to try this out.

oniq
May 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Anyone know why there isn't a solid FTP program for Linux/*nix?

reacocard
May 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Oh, that (http://weex.sourceforge.net/) sounds really nice. Definately going to try this out.

It is nice. I use it mainly for my Ubuntu repo (see my sig). You can specify rules for what files get sent too. Just be careful not to do any manual fiddling with the remote copy, or weex will behave oddly until you clean its cache for that site (in ~/.weex).

onbongos
May 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM

most ppl tend to use automated solutions like weex or rsync i think, and command line for the occasional transfer

Mateo
May 24th, 2007, 10:12 PM

FTP is not trendy enough. People prefer ssh I think. I don't agree though, the FTP solutions seem fine to me.

obrient
May 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I like FireFTP. I am usually in the browser anyway so opening up FireFTP is quick and easy.

stmiller
May 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Eh, I use Fedex.

http://digg.com/offbeat_news/FedEx_Still_Faster_Than_The_Internet

:popcorn:

stchman
June 5th, 2007, 12:42 AM
gFTP does exactly what I want it to do. It lets me upload files to my website after I create/edit them. I am not a heavy duty FTP'er so gFTP meets my needs. Any more would be overkill for me. I was able to figure out in just a few minutes.

gFTP is very similar to Winsock FTP client I used in college.

anabelle
May 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
KONQUEROR!

It even has a wizard for setting up FTP or SSH sites, yo can treat them as local disks, its wonderful!