PDA

View Full Version : Sonic Youth Fans?

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
In honor of the Nirvana fans thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=422670), I thought I would start a thread for the eternal mentors of Nirvana; Sonic Youth!

So, who else is a Sonic Youth fan? Talk about them here, about your favorite songs, etc.

If you have a last.fm account, post the URL!

Mine's in my sig.

Lucifiel
May 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
Hmmm... their stuff ain't too bad and some of it is pretty good. But me a fan? I dunno for I haven't even tried most of their other albums yet. :p

I really need an Ubuntu Anonymous service. :( I'm getting hooked so much on Ubuntu forums and Ubuntu and Linux, it ain't funny. :(

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
Hmmm... their stuff ain't too bad and some of it is pretty good. But me a fan? I dunno for I haven't even tried most of their other albums yet. :p

I really need an Ubuntu Anonymous service. :( I'm getting hooked so much on Ubuntu forums and Ubuntu and Linux, it ain't funny. :(
Welcome to the club, then :) It's totally normal, as far as I'm concerned :D

Which reminds me, I need to start writing my book on creating an internet-based workflow....too much to do! :)

Onyros
May 22nd, 2007, 02:40 AM
I'm a fan, but into the SY old school stuff, something like "Confusion is Sex" (which is my favourite Sonic Youth album).

I kinda lost touch with Sonic Youth in the last few years (and albums), but I've got a few I keep coming back to.

When I first started listening to them, it really changed my view of music as it was back then, and even today there's nothing quite like SY. No one ever did Melodic Noise pretty much like Sonic Youth did.

Curiously, my favourite album from Nirvana is the one where they most resemble Sonic Youth: Incesticide. I love that album. Even bought an Incesticide T-shirt at the only Nirvana concert I managed to watch :D

There's one specific Nirvana song that is up there with SY's Noise mastery: Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, another one of my favourites.

zacinator
May 22nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
I've been a sonic youth fan for more than a decade, but if they have anything new lately then I am touch! The Trilogy is still one of my favorite tracks of all time...
Trilogy: A) The Wonder/B) Hyperstation/C) Eliminator Jr.

The year that punk broke with them and Nirvana is a great video!

p.s. I totally feel you with the addiction to the forums!

bionnaki
May 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM
sonic youth is playing the entire Daydream Nation album at the pitchfork music festival. I'm looking forward to it. I've seen sy about 6 times, the first time in 1992.

23meg
May 22nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
*raises hand*

Listening to Goo as a seventeen year old is the kind of thing that I wish would happen to every city dweller as a teenager. I did, and never lost touch with them since.

Watching Kool Thing performed live may be one of the most fulfilling experiences I'll ever have. The one SY gig I attended, with Jim O'Rourke in the lineup, was way over the top (in a good way); with the audience occasionally given the guitars to play them as they like, Thurston making "full body contact" with one of them on the floor twice (the guitars, that is), and a thirty minute (no kidding) noise improv that concluded the whole thing.

And I haven't been able to drop the extremely catchy "Rather Ripped" for the last few months. It's hard to pick favorites, as usual, but if I had to, this moment it would be... Goo, Confusion Is Sex, A Thousand Leaves, Rather Ripped, Daydream Nation.

crimesaucer
May 22nd, 2007, 05:26 AM
I love 100% and Sugar Kane, and the rest of the Dirty album.

I also love Daydream Nation, a few of my favorites are Hey Joni and Silver Rocket, and Trilogy: A) The Wonder/B) Hyperstation/Z) Eliminator Jr.

...but both of those albums are real good the whole way through.

Back in the mid 90's, my friend had the CD from Sonic Youth that was originally gonna be the soundtrack for the movie "Made In The USA", but for some reason they didn't use all of it: http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=GgzqcBbXoHO&aid=aozLEvn3cgJ&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result

...anyway, that Soundtrack is really cool for that "out there" vibe, it's very psychedelic.

And like I told maniacmusician in his Nirvana thread, that DJ Spooky has the song Tremens by Sonic Youth in one of his mix albums called, "DJ Spooky: Under the Influence", and it sounds really good.

http://www.amazon.com/DJ-Spooky-Influence-Various-Artists/dp/samples/B00005O7TW/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/002-8895563-1999202#disc_1

graabein
May 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
I'm also a big fan. I got something like 15 albums and have seen them four times, which is not bad considering I live in Norway and didn't really get into them before Goo and Dirty.

http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/oartists/ogden.gif (http://www.last.fm/user/ogden/?chartstyle=basic10)

jariku
May 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
I love Sonic Youth. Unfortunately I've only seen them once when they were on the Ilosaarirock festival in Finland a few years ago.

By the way, does anyone have the Murray Street Winamp skin that came bundled with Winamp when Murray Street was released? I've lost it and I haven't been able to find it from any web site. It has the kids from the cover in the main window.

Saucerlike (http://www.saucerlike.com/downloads.php) has some skins for download but the one I'm looking for is not among them.

diskotek
May 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
i can't admit myself as a fan, but i like sonic very much. daydream nation & thousand leaves.

they had a concert in my city (ankara) but it was canceled, and i learn it a day before. it was a total destruction for me! if we know that before, we would probably went to istanbul to see them live.

sunday...

brim4brim
May 22nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
I have the daydream nation album. I prefer the pixies though.

http://www.last.fm/user/brim4brim/

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
The pixies are good as well, but they don't have the noise making capabilities to match Sonic Youth's.

Goo is one of my favorite albums as well. I absoiutely love it when Kim is on vocals. She's quite good, and her basswork is nice to listen to as well. I could never pick favorite songs....although I am exceptional to My Friend Goo :)`

raublekick
May 22nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Oh yes, this thread rocks!

I love SY. I got into them when I heard Mote and Titanium Expose on the Toy Machine skateboarding videos. The first album I bought was A Thousand Leaves, which of course is pretty late in the SY game, but I was also 14 when it came out.

Daydream Nation is without a doubt my favorite album of theirs. Their newer stuff is great too. Murray Street and Sonic Nurse sound to me like a pretty old SY album, and Rather Ripped is really catchy, although it lacks a bit in the noise department.

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
To whoever said that Radio Friendly Unit Shifter was the only song of Nirvana's that matched the noise making capabilities of Sonic Youth, you probably haven't seen Nirvana live on the In Utero tours huh? :D

But I agree that RFUS is a great song

What are your favorite noise-songs from Sonic Youth?

hanzomon4
May 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah I love SY, I like the *regular stuff they do but the SYR series is something that opened my ears a bit. Checking out Sonic Youth led me to some interesting music like John Cage, Glenn Branca, DeerHoof, and The Great Derek Bailey... just a bunch of really trippy stuff. My first time seeing them play was when I watched 1991 the yea.... It was an amazing experience. I always try to keep one of my guitars in a random tunning I don't understand........

crimesaucer
May 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
To whoever said that Radio Friendly Unit Shifter was the only song of Nirvana's that matched the noise making capabilities of Sonic Youth, you probably haven't seen Nirvana live on the In Utero tours huh? :D

What are your favorite noise-songs from Sonic Youth?

The whole "Made In The USA" soundtrack. Listen to that with headphones on for an experience.

bionnaki
May 23rd, 2007, 07:46 AM
if you want noise, I recommend going back and checking out all the no wave bands from NYC late 70s/early 80s...where sonic youth got their start.

my favorite sonic youth is actually their self-titled ep that was released on SST. '81 maybe?

23meg
May 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM
Anyone into Goodbye 20th Century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYR4:_Goodbye_20th_Century)?

maniacmusician
May 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Anyone into Goodbye 20th Century (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYR4:_Goodbye_20th_Century)?
That's a brilliant one as well. I have so many SY albums, that I forget which ones I really like :) I listened to Goo again last night, it's still as great as ever.

Tomosaur
May 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM
I too, love Sonic Youth :)

Onyros
May 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

What are your favorite noise-songs from Sonic Youth?Hehe, don't get me wrong, I loved Nirvana and still get chills up my spine whenever I listen to a couple of songs, I just mentioned RFUS as an example (and what a brilliant name that was for that specific song, such irony - imagine a radio friendly unit shifter with that much feedback... radio dj's would be bananas over that).

One song that instantly comes to mind is "Pacific Coast Highway" from Sister (another one of my favourite albums). The way they used noise there to create a masterful blend of chaotic symphony is simply brilliant. In terms of sheer noise, the entire "Confusion is Sex" album is a masterpiece, and that's why I love it so much.

Another guy that has been making brilliant use and incorporation of noise into songs and making them beautifully melodic is my mate Trent Reznor from the Nine Inch Nails... There's a few stretches in Year Zero (NiN' latest album) which are just so dissonant and with layers over layers of noise and distortion that they eventually become... deep, thick and "ear-filling" if you know what I mean.

Examples of NiN songs you should definitely take a look at (in terms of noise shaping): "Underneath it All" (from The Fragile), "The Warning" and "The Great Destroyer"(from Year Zero)... and I could be here all day adding songs :P

hanzomon4
May 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM

Yes I love that record...

crimesaucer
May 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hehe, don't get me wrong, I loved Nirvana and still get chills up my spine whenever I listen to a couple of songs, I just mentioned RFUS as an example (and what a brilliant name that was for that specific song, such irony - imagine a radio friendly unit shifter with that much feedback... radio dj's would be bananas over that).

One song that instantly comes to mind is "Pacific Coast Highway" from Sister (another one of my favourite albums). The way they used noise there to create a masterful blend of chaotic symphony is simply brilliant. In terms of sheer noise, the entire "Confusion is Sex" album is a masterpiece, and that's why I love it so much.

Another guy that has been making brilliant use and incorporation of noise into songs and making them beautifully melodic is my mate Trent Reznor from the Nine Inch Nails... There's a few stretches in Year Zero (NiN' latest album) which are just so dissonant and with layers over layers of noise and distortion that they eventually become... deep, thick and "ear-filling" if you know what I mean.

Examples of NiN songs you should definitely take a look at (in terms of noise shaping): "Underneath it All" (from The Fragile), "The Warning" and "The Great Destroyer"(from Year Zero)... and I could be here all day adding songs :P

I like Dinosaur Jr for layers of noise. Jay Mascis and Lou Barlow make a beautiful sound. I love the early stuff, so much distortion and feedback, and even the mellow acoustic stuff is so out there.

steefjeqv
May 28th, 2007, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=maniacmusician;2700213]The pixies are good as well, but they don't have the noise making capabilities to match Sonic Youth's.

Ever tried playing 'Planet of Sound' from The Pixies really loud ?:p

My favorite Sonic Youth album is 'Dirty'.

Greetings,
Steven

crimesaucer
May 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=maniacmusician;2700213]The pixies are good as well, but they don't have the noise making capabilities to match Sonic Youth's.

Ever tried playing 'Planet of Sound' from The Pixies really loud ?:p

My favorite Sonic Youth album is 'Dirty'.

Greetings,
Steven

...or...I got a broken face form Surfer Rosa....

I got a broken face
I got a
I got a broken face
Uh-hu, uh-hu, uh-hu, uh-hu, ooo

23meg
July 20th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Heads up for SY fans: Thurston Moore's second solo album is coming up, 12 years after Psychic Hearts: it's titled Trees Outside The Academy.

http://www.ecstaticpeace.com/artist.php?id=21

lepz
July 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I have only recently got into Sonic Youth, but I now own ..Daydream Nation, Goo and Rather Ripped. Love them :)

saulgoode
July 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
It is rumored that if you play a Sonic Youth album backwards, you can hear music being played. :P

cmay
September 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
count me in....the old stuff that is. I have four of the first albums they made and I like some of the new stuff too but I like the good old noisy stuff better.

hanzomon4
September 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I saw the first show of their new tour last summer

Mateo
September 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Sonic Youth - the definition of "good but not pleasant" music.

dragos240
September 29th, 2009, 12:20 AM
When I looked at this thread title. I swore it was about People about my age who like sega :p.