PDA

View Full Version : For all non native english speakers.

whayong
May 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
I'd just like to commend all non native english speakers for a great job communicating with the rest of us. I see all this posts where people always ask to be "excused" for their english since it's not their primary language. I say GOOD JOB!!!! and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. There's nothing to be ashamed or embarassed for learning and speaking a foreign language. In fact, THANK YOU for communicating with us!!! Sometimes we take the smallest and largest things for granted. It's good to see that the language barrier is not an issue in this community and makes it even better!

23meg
May 22nd, 2007, 05:45 AM
Indeed. I've always been pleasantly surprised by what a good job people who wanted to be "excused" for their poor English did in getting their points across here.

Bou
May 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Here's a non-native who appreciates your compliment :)

frodon
May 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think it's pleasure also for non-native speaker to speak with native speakers here and thus improve their english skills ;)

brim4brim
May 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
On other sites, people seem to get attacked by the spelling and grammar police and I've yet to see that happen here which I think is great.

Also people seem to try to interpret sometimes cryptic problems that have been posted and usually succeed. Its very easy to just pass those threads by but it doesn't really happen here and I think that's one thing that we should try to keep at all costs as lack of help is a big barrier to adoption of Linux.

Bavo
May 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I think it's pleasure also for non-native speaker to speak with native speakers here and thus improve their english skills ;)

I couldn't agree more.

Forums like this are for us non native English speakers a great way to learn and improve our English. I'm often surprised to see how many people speak (or at least write) quite decent text in a language witch is not their mother language.
But on the other hand, i know that a lot of people don't understand a single word of English, or any other language than their own.
I speak Dutch, English and French and still I've been in to a few places in Europe where i had a hard time trying to communicate wit the people.

So I'd like to say to everyone who knows more than one language: congratulations, you're improving worldwide communication :)

About the spelling and grammar police, i actually understand them, i like to be corrected myself (preferably in a polite way) and i hate to have to read text witch are full off errors. Especially if they are written by native speakers.

karellen
May 22nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
non-native here
thanks for your kind thoughts :)

whayong
May 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM
No woories! I just hink it's great. The world is shrinking, and I've been in your (non-native speakers) shoes before and still am. I speak 2.5 languages. So you see, the half part is where I can relate with all of you. It's not easy, but itakes HUGE juevos (sorry, I'm not sure how the swear filters work in this forum in particular) to try and communicate. Cheers to everyone!!!