PDA

View Full Version : dead mp3 player projects?

sailingboarder
May 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
so i have an slightly old, dead mp3 player
my friend and i are going to take it apart and look at it
i'm going 2 b left with a 30 gb hd and an really nice lcd screen, among other internal parts

i was wondering,
does anyone know any good projects or ideas on how to use these old parts
i have all summer to build something, and would really like to put the parts to good use if i can

blazercist
May 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
never had any ideas about mp3 players.... I did however, have an idea about pda's. if you could get the nano-atx board/cpu and the evdo modem off a PDA and use the HD from an MP3 player you could theoretically make a tiny portable video conferencing device.

edit : oh yea you would need the camera from the phone as well... i dont think you need the mp3 HD at all actually a flash drive would be good for 100,000 r/w's anyway and the file system wouldnt change, you would just need a heck of alot of miniature RAM. I wish i had the time to do it, it would be just like the movies. a wristwatch sized video/comm device so cool.

reclusivemonkey
May 21st, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'd be very surprised if you didn't find something on either

http://www.hackaday.com/

or

http://www.instructables.com/

Happy hacking!

sailingboarder
May 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
i looked through both of those sites
didn't really find anything pertaining to my device
most searches for an lcd project turned up laptop lcd's

angryfirelord
May 22nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
The problem with mp3 players is that each one is specialized, so unless you really know embedded devices, you won't find too much good taking it apart. The hard drive could possibly be useful, but I don't if they make external 1.8" cases that can hook up to your computer.

sailingboarder
May 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
so you don't think it's possible to use the lcd screen for something?

%hMa@?b<C
May 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
what is the make and model of your mp3 player?
have any hi-res pictures of the PCB?

sailingboarder
May 22nd, 2007, 03:45 AM
mp3 player is a 30 gb Creative Zen Vision:M

i have yet to open the casing and take some pics, but i'm sure someone on the internet has