PDA

View Full Version : Backing up files to external hard drive while using Wubi install

hummingbird59
May 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Here's a question: I am using Wubi Feisty version from approximately first of May. I used Open Office in Windoz and have a data file there. I can access and modify these files in Linux thanks to Wubi (WOW!):D When I save changes, the changes are made in my windows file. Good so far. I like to backup these data files weekly and I was doing that using a 60GB Maxtor One Touch. Linux sees this drive and I can read files on it, but I can't write to it. I looked around the forums and found that I needed NTFS config so I installed that via Synaptic. When I ran that, it showed only one drive, an SDA drive and I was not sure that it was referencing the Maxtor so I did not do anything. Then, I realized NTFS is already incorporated within Wubi. So, I uninstalled what I downloaded so as not to mess up wubi. I'm a complete newbie as far as NTFS and every time I read the how to guide for it, I'm left scratching my head. Anyway, how do I get write permission to my Maxtor under Wubi without confusing it or me? Any help or ideas are GREAT! Thanks in advance!

ago
May 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
WIth wubi you will basically get 2 drives for ntfs, the default one is read-only, the ntfs-3g is read write. If you do not specify otherwise the read-only one is used (except for the drive hosting the wubi folder which is always accessed via ntfs-3g). ntfs-config allows, among other things, to use ntfs-3g as default driver, therefore when the disk appears in the file browser the access is r/w. If you want to learn how to that manually that is a good chance to learn a few Linux commands and concepts, otherwise use the graphical configuration tool.

hummingbird59
May 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! So, forgive a really lame question but how do I access the GUI and could you walk me through it step by step. When I installed NTFS it was under system tools, but since I uninstalled after realizing I already had it "somewhere", I'm not sure how to find the "pre-installed" version. I know this is really simple and I am slow but more detail please:D: Thank you so much for WUBI!:D:D:D

ago
May 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
sudo ntfs-config

hummingbird59
May 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you Ago! I'll keep working on it!:)

hummingbird59
May 22nd, 2007, 04:19 AM
When I open ntfs config, it only sees my internal drive, even though my external is mounted and viewable. Here is my fstab result:

Also, the system has frozen twice today when I tried to access the external hd. I had to force quit and restart the computer. Any idea what is happening? Thanks!:confused:

ago
May 22nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Maybe ntfs-config does not handle removable hd (never tried that). The way around it is to add a line to fstab

ntfs-3g /dev/(your partition like hda1 or sda1) /media/(mount point) users,uid=(your user id),locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

Also, the system has frozen twice today when I tried to access the external hd. I had to force quit and restart the computer. Any idea what is happening? Thanks!:confused:
Not really unless you provide more detailed info, next time though try to press ctrl+alt+F2 to get a console, and if you can't see http://www.developertutorials.com/tutorials/linux/magic-sysrq-050503/page1.html

see the general forum for more info on ntfs-3g

hummingbird59
May 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try it and see what happens. BTW, when I get ready to move to a "real" partition, is there going to be a "fool-proof" (read easy for even me) way to do that, ie an automated stable script maybe? Anyway, just wondering because I am going to try to work out all my issues and switch completely. Thanks again!

Edit: As far as issues, I only have a couple: this backup thng which may be resolved by going to a real partition???, a printer issue re photos and a cd burning problem that seems to be common with others at the moment.