PDA

View Full Version : Market share trends

samjh
May 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Just found this interest website: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/default.aspx

I'm pretty sure that site only counts hits from desktop computer users, rather than servers and other back-end computers. The results are not too surprising in terms of raw numbers. It's the trends that are interesting.

Take a look at the OS trends, in particular.

(You can view graphs for individual entries by clicking on the little square graph symbol next to the OS names.)

Since the release of Windows Vista in January this year, it has been growing in market share at a very fast and steady - almost linear - rate of 1% per month. Windows XP has been dropping since then, at a rate of around 0.80% per month and sloping more steeply downward, whereas its market share prior to Vista's release was increasing slightly. Predictably, older Windows versions are diminishing slowly into nothingness.

But to coincide with that, the adoption of Linux has accelerated to roughly to around 0.15% per month, whereas its market share was quite steady for the previous year.

The Apple Mac doesn't seem to have fared well, judging from the MacOS graph, but a look at Mac Intel shows a different story. Those Macs for Intels are gobbling up market share at a wobbly 0.20% per month. Even faster than Linux! But that trend doesn't seem to have been affected by Vista, as it was already on the way up for six months before Vista's launch.

It seems that despite the woes predicted by Vista critics, Vista adoption is respectable. Linux has capitalised a little bit, but it's hardly a dint on Windows, and barely threatens the Macs. Windows XP depreciation is also occurring quite quickly, despite predictions that people will hang onto XP due to supposedly crap quality of Vista.

mech7
May 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM
is this really a suprise?

samjh
May 22nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
No. But it quantifies the trend, which is better than subjective guessing.

starcraft.man
May 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Call me skeptical but I don't put all my faith of what is going on into surveys/polls. Thats like looking at exit polls to predict an election in my mind. I can only vouch for what I've seen here on the forum and in person, and in both cases I've seen people appalled and otherwise annoyed by Vista who went back to XP or tried Linux. Whether its burning issues, like I just saw today where Vista prevented someone from burning a file because the OS thought it was pirated media, or its just people upset and tired of paying 400$ for an OS that does the same as before if more restrictive and with a face lift.

I also don't read alexa or distro watch to see whats going on btw...