PDA

View Full Version : why no shockwave for linux?

TheRingmaster
May 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
I was just playing some games at mofunzone.com and I found some really cool games, but no I can't play them because adobe doesn't provide the player for linux. Why is this? And another thing, what is the difference between flash and shockwave?

rejser
May 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Both are unecesserary for the web.
Shockwave have some more options to be an independent applikation. Play jeopardy against other people. Handle more network connections and such.
Flash is a bit simpler I guess. Hard to explain.
Check http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_13971

No shockwave for linux. Guess that it is because shockwave is mostly used for games. No use spending developing money on a small os for just some internet-games, that not that many that uses the OS plays. (but I love jeopardy).

MontanaMax
May 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
I run into problems from time to time with training materials that are only presented in Shockwave. It's frustrating as I can't run it on the locked down windows machines at work, and I don't have a windows system at home.

junior aspirin
May 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
is shockwave even developed anymore? i havent come across it for a long time, it seems most things can be done in the resent flash versions.

it can be installed through wine though if you need it. there is a guide on the wiki i believe.

Polygon
May 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM
shockwave is much less used then flash, so they have to take priorties in what they port over.

and yeah shockwave is developed still...kinda

shockwave is more like java, its a programming langauge and is used to have like 3d applications in a browser (games and such)

loathsome
May 22nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
I personally haven't stumbled upon Shockwave in two years or so ...

JNowka
May 22nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
The only way you can use shockwave under linux is if you install Firefox under Wine and install the shockwave player under Wine as well. I hope this helps.

Sweet Mercury
June 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I personally haven't stumbled upon Shockwave in two years or so ...

It's still used, and I just found out today that there's no build at all for Linux.

The online subscription service for Rosetta Stone is Shockwave.

What's involved in compiling something into Linux once it's been written for Windows or Mac? I'm guessing it must be a lot since this hasn't been done yet. Can we call Adobe's attention to this issue somehow?

Feba
June 4th, 2007, 07:50 AM
because adobe hates us.

Most internet games are flash though. Mercury, compiling depends alot on how the software was written and what it needs to run. A .NET or DirectX game could require a huge rewrite of the code, but a simple C/C++ app might not need any changes at all, especially if it doesn't have a GUI.

runningwithscissors
June 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I was just playing some games at mofunzone.com and I found some really cool games, but no I can't play them because adobe doesn't provide the player for linux....
Impossible. Flash games are, by definition, uncool.

TheRingmaster
June 4th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I didn't ask for your opinion on the matter. In linux, it is all you really have for a quick and easy game. (Native Linux games suck).

my 2 cents

runningwithscissors
June 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I didn't ask for your opinion on the matter. In linux, it is all you really have for a quick and easy game. (Native Linux games suck).

my 2 centsQuake 4 did not suck.

Eddie Wilson
June 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Quake 4 did not suck.

Quake 4 is not a quick, easy game.

init1
June 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
What makes you say that?

treblesix
June 5th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Some of the Welsh education apps on the BBC website use Shockwave, which means I cant use them in Linux :(