PDA

View Full Version : Open source and the media

kstella
May 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi, all.

I'm a communications student, and I'd like to do my next media studies assignment on the world of open source. The thing is that all these essay has to be related to how one experiences the media, so my topic will be along the lines of how media coverage affects opinion of and conversion to open source programming.

I'm having trouble finding references; if I don't have at least four, I'll have to think of a new topic. Can any of you give me a hand?

kiddo
May 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
isn't slashdot and cnet and very large sites like that considered part of the media? I don't think this can be limited to newspapers+TV.

Take for instance the massive coverage that these sites made on "vista sucks, use ubuntu" (I've seen this a LOT).

kstella
May 22nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, those sites are counted, thanks.

Anyone else? :)

PrimoTurbo
May 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
One example could be how Microsoft uses the media to undermine open source or even other competitors, for example their infringement announcements. Especially around main stream media which reports sometimes with out clarifying anything. So if an average joe reads or hears about it they might assume open source is bad, since infringement is bad or that open source = copycat, etc.

Non-mainstream media like blogs, articles and the internet spread open source related news with more of a critical approach but at the same time a lot of the people are fan boys and don't criticize certain actions themselves.