PDA

View Full Version : Please, Add A Xfce Forum ;)

xbaez
June 28th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I personally think that Gnome is nice, but man, Kubuntu is AWESOME, most of all, if I use Kubuntu, and want to install Gnome, it doesn't works ok, but from what I read, there are a lot of users complaining about the gnome-panel program constantly failing.

So at office I will continue to use KDE (allthough XFCE is awesome as well). Anyway, for my house (laptop, slow computer, celeron 1.8 Ghz), I will use XFCE from now on.

Therefore I think that all the users having problems with Gnome might be able to find a Kubuntu forum (HOWTO install KDE on Ubuntu) and there should be a XFCE forum as well.

benplaut
June 28th, 2005, 11:58 PM
it's already been asked for...

the word was that there would be no forum until "Xubuntu" (or whatever the name) was created.

wait and hope! :)

xbaez
June 29th, 2005, 12:05 AM
From what I think there shouldn't be a Kubuntu and Ubuntu forum, it should be just a Ubuntu forum, and inside it there should be: desktop, programs...
and inside desktop, there should be KDE (Kubuntu), Gnome (Ubuntu), XFCE...

just imagine how many similar questions can be asked in the Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums, basically the only difference is KDE or Gnome

For instance, ┐How to install programs?

Either in Kubuntu or Ubuntu, they will all answer to use 'synaptic'

Check the Ubuntu Guide, mostly everything applies to Kubuntu as well

ubuntu-geek
June 29th, 2005, 12:13 AM
From what I think there shouldn't be a Kubuntu and Ubuntu forum, it should be just a Ubuntu forum, and inside it there should be: desktop, programs...

just imagine how many similar questions can be asked in the Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums, basically the only difference is KDE or Gnome

Hmm interesting point.. I'll think about that :)

XDevHald
June 29th, 2005, 02:04 AM

I second this motion. :)

benplaut
June 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I second this motion. :)

third'ed :)

xbaez
June 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Yeah that will bring a LOT of productivity for the forums.

Kubuntu and Ubuntu make sense, 'Xubuntu' probably does (for slow machines, check how Mepis is designing a special version of Mepis that will run in computers designed for Win98, including Koffice, all though I believe Gnome Office is more compatible with Micro$oft Office), allthough I don't see it as a MUST

Anyway, a Kubuntu forum and a Ubuntu forum just don't make much sense

For instance, I have a XFCE question, were should I put it?

-->Hoary 5.04 Application Support (76 Viewing)
-->Desktop Support
--> Gnome (Ubuntu)
--> KDE (Kubuntu)
--> Xfce (Xubuntu)
-->Ubuntu Gaming
-->Other Applications
-->Installation Help
-->AMD64-Bit Support
-->PPC/Mac Support
-->LIVECD Support

-->Hoary 5.04 Hardware Help (56 Viewing)
-->Networking
-->Laptop Support

-->Hoary 5.04 Kubuntu (KDE) -> NOTE: Should be deleted

-->Hoary 5.04 Customization Tips & Tricks (70 Viewing)

Obviously I will put it at
-->Hoary 5.04 Application Support (76 Viewing)
-->Desktop Support

and create a new post called "XFCE Questions go here".

Just remember XFCE is:
-> lighter
-> better for laptops (since laptops don't have as much processing power, memory, graphics.. as desktops do) or laptops that are 2 year old (upgrading a laptop is not an option)
-> The original Linux desktop manager, it has a lot of advantages, and quite honestly, in my experience, it worked so much better than Gnome (gnome-panel problems constantly)

So at my house I'm using XFCE. I am a former Mepis user. I switched because of three main things

1) Upgradable
I had to reinstall everything since Mepis 3.3 was based on Testing and Mepis 2005.06 was based on Stable (woody). So since I've heard good things from Ubuntu, I decided to give it a shot. I had to reinstall a new distro anyway, so that lead to an opportunity for me to change distros. Ubuntu on the other hand is upgradable, promises 6 month release, and from what I've been told is like a Debian with steroids

2) Support
I wasn't able to print with LPT1 with Mepis, tried a few of their forums and there wasn't much support. Kernel upgrades didnd't worked, and I didn't wanted to recompile Kernels every now and then. Basically lack of support, which Ubuntu doesn't has

3) Compatibility
In Ubuntu Kernels work perfectly (except the 2.6.11 kernel at my laptop). The 2.6.11 (k7) kernel works perfectly at my house
By following the Ubuntu guide I've been able to do everything that I always wanted in a linux distro
Plus I've heard people upgrading from the previous version without any problems

With all this said, I believe that a reorganization of the Ubuntu forums will be a very easy, practical, yet usable thing to do, since all the Ubuntu/Kubuntu users will benefit from the ease of use of the re-organized forums.

Think about it, the only distro that offers (from what I know), clear, consize support for the three main window managers: Gnome, KDE and XFCE

In other words, former Mac users (or users with not so fast computers), former Window$ users (KDE is amazing) and users that just love the way Linux/Unix works (or users with slow computers, laptops)

I'd really be flattered if the forums could be organized because of this suggestion ;)