PDA

View Full Version : In the search for a music application

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM
What is the best application for organizing music in terms of playlists and playing music?

gvoima
May 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Rhythmbox is pretty clear and straigthforward.

Keep things simple, but not too simple! :)

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
I will give it a try. I tried Amarok... It was a disaster. It crashes every 2 minutes, doesn't allow simple adding to playlists, slow loading of playlists... Just terrible!

gvoima
May 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I didn't like amarok either, it looked like a mess to me :(

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I didn't like amarok either, it looked like a mess to me :(
works perfectly for me. It's really fast as well. Sifts through 47GB song collection like it's nothing.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Oh really. By me it hardly manages 10 mp3's. And it likes to crash really often.

gvoima
May 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM
works perfectly for me. It's really fast as well. Sifts through 47GB song collection like it's nothing.

Yeah, it works great and all, I didn't mean that it's a bad player.
But for my eyes it's somewhat messy :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

heimo
May 21st, 2007, 12:18 PM
If having trouble with Amarok, but like it in general, try exaile - which is similar program, but aimed for Gnome.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I will try Exaile then.

guitarmaniac
May 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I've been using Amarok for ages and I absolutely love it.
but, being a KDE app, it hogs up all my resources in GNOME so Im (very slowly) starting to use Rhythmbox, but it doesnt even have some basic functions like ID3 tagging.
To me Exaile doesn't do Amarok justice, I prefer Rhythmbox to the amarok "clone" (not nearly similar enough).
Maybe I'll convert to KDE when KDE4 is released.

urukrama
May 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Exaile works well with playlist, I find. It has that neat feature that allows you to have several playlists open at once too.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
If having trouble with Amarok, but like it in general, try exaile - which is similar program, but aimed for Gnome.

OMG, Exaile is even worst! It cannot save a playlist! Then it is useless. Another suggestion?

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM
I also tried Banshee. While it saves the playlist automatically, it doesn't allow songs to be moved and reordered inside it. Again - goes straight into the trash.

ablaze
May 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM
I wish we had an app that would work like iTunes. Until then, I hope Banshee evolves fast. I'm loving it so far.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM
I just tried Rhythmbox. It seems to be working fine with playlists.

simonalpha
May 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Songbird is awesome. Slightly unstable at some times, and maybe a bit bloatish at the moment, but then it's still a Dev release.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I use only FINISHED applications, no betas please.

heimo
May 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
OMG, Exaile is even worst! It cannot save a playlist!

It can.

Another suggestion?

No.

lzfy
May 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
Nothing beats AmaroK. It can look messy the first time but you should give it a change, then you will discover it's power.

Kuoi
May 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Have you tried "Listen" , it is in the repos ?

That's THE one !

Kuoi

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM
It can.

Nope. It can't. I tested it several times. After I close Exaile and then start it again, my playlist isn't saved and I have to fill it again.

Nothing beats AmaroK. It can look messy the first time but you should give it a change, then you will discover it's power.
Maybe, but I don't use KDE. Currently the KDE applications start very slowly for I use GNOME.

Have you tried "Listen" , it is in the repos ?

That's THE one !

Kuoi

Let's stick with what I found to be working. Ok? Rhythmbox is nice so far.

heimo
May 21st, 2007, 05:12 PM
Nope. It can't. I tested it several times. After I close Exaile and then start it again, my playlist isn't saved and I have to fill it again.

It can. I've tested it and it can. The fact that you can't do it, doesn't mean that the software can't do it.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
It can. I've tested it and it can. The fact that you can't do it, doesn't mean that the software can't do it.
Actually, it means exactly this :p

ThinkBuntu
May 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
File a bug report, and get it resolved. Post your problems with an app here or in their forums, or even use IRC or a mailing list. Nobody would use it if it were that buggy.

Zdravko
May 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
No time for this. I doubt someone else uses it.

koshatnik
May 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM
No time for this. I doubt someone else uses it.

You must have a faulty install. Mine saves playlists just fine.

ButteBlues
May 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
Zdravko - Exaile is just fine, even if it's not the best app around.

Furthermore, who would want to set a custom order in a playlist? Isn't Shuffle essentially the same effect?

heimo
May 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Actually, it means exactly this :p

Then we disagree. You can have your illusion, I'm not trying to convince you.

helgi
May 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
It seem everybody has a different taste in this area. But what would you say was an ideal player for xubuntu.
That is the xfce-interface if that matters at all or not. I mean I have a relatively slow computer so something simple and easy. Amarok maybe?

deadlydeathcone
May 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
What is the best application Amarok
for organizing music in terms of playlists Rhythmbox
and playing music Gmpc

Take your pick ;)

stmiller
May 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hey check out Banshee. It's nice!

http://banshee-project.org/Main_Page

smiggs
May 21st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Songbird is awesome. Slightly unstable at some times, and maybe a bit bloatish at the moment, but then it's still a Dev release.

Correction it's currently totally useless I gave up when it failed to play the first album I tried without falling over. It will be a very very interesting application but stability and reliability is at least 6 months away.

Amarok is where it's at, easily better than anything better on Linux or Windows.

sunexplodes
May 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
My personal favorite is Music Player Daemon with Sonata as a frontend. Very full-featured and a VERY small footprint.

helgi
May 22nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
From the Banshee web site:
Banshee: Music management and playback for Gnome

Well if they mention specifically that it is for Gnome. Will it then not work on my xubuntu which has Xfce?

obviously I'm new here.

deadlydeathcone
May 22nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Well if they mention specifically that it is for Gnome. Will it then not work on my xubuntu which has Xfce?

It will work just fine on Xubuntu, but it will probably install a lot of gnome dependencies along with it, meaning that it will probably use a bit more ram than usual. Just be warned that while Banshee's great if you only have a few hundred songs, in my experience it can be really flaky with a few thousand.

theredcross
May 22nd, 2007, 03:34 AM
yet another vote for amaroK, grab the kubuntu.org repository and it'll be up to date. Runs faster than any other I've used, memory use isn't terrible, and has plenty of features. Especially when you begin adding in plugins, absolutely love it. Maybe when songbird hits a final version I'll use that again, just too much memory use at the moment.

Fittersman
May 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
songbird is a really good music app