PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

JenniferE
May 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM
I'm new to the forum and to Linux so I thought I'd jump in to say "hi" to everyone. http://www.icando4u.com/smile/wave2.gif

Tux Aubrey
May 21st, 2007, 06:21 AM
Hello and welcome, JenniferE!

How are you finding your Ubuntu experience so far?

Aubrey

JenniferE
May 21st, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hello and welcome, JenniferE!

How are you finding your Ubuntu experience so far?

Aubrey
I absolutely love it! I'm having a great time exploring around, customizing this and that. It is so nice not having to deal with Windows. Guaranteed, I was a die hard Windows user. I had a dual boot on this computer for a few months. Windows / Linux, but I slacked on venturing over and playing with Linux too much. (My boyfriend installed the dual boot and kept encouraging me to use it, but I don't adapt to change very well. I'm a creature of habit. ;) ) Then, I recently had issues with Windows and it was just a total nightmare. (A virus slipped through and took over one night and wreaked havoc on my system while I slept.) Needless to say, Windows is gone and Linux is here to stay.

I'm a professional web developer and decided to give the new Ubuntu Studio a try. I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Working with graphics and video, it offers me a lot of choice for tools to use to get the jobs done I need to do.

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 06:46 AM
I absolutely love it! I'm having a great time exploring around, customizing this and that. It is so nice not having to deal with Windows. Guaranteed, I was a die hard Windows user. I had a dual boot on this computer for a few months. Windows / Linux, but I slacked on venturing over and playing with Linux too much. (My boyfriend installed the dual boot and kept encouraging me to use it, but I don't adapt to change very well. I'm a creature of habit. ;) ) Then, I recently had issues with Windows and it was just a total nightmare. (A virus slipped through and took over one night and wreaked havoc on my system while I slept.) Needless to say, Windows is gone and Linux is here to stay.

I'm a professional web developer and decided to give the new Ubuntu Studio a try. I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far. Working with graphics and video, it offers me a lot of choice for tools to use to get the jobs done I need to do.
I'm glad that you're finding Ubuntu Studio to be satisfactory.

It's no secret that Linux isn't the greatest platform right now for graphics and video development, or even audio manipulation. But this is all slowly getting better, and it's good to know that it at least satisfies the need of some people.

If you're a professional web developer, you may want to try Quanta Plus and Kompozer (the latter is not in the repositories yet). They're both HTML editors.

Quanta Plus is especially flexible as it offers many ways to help you code and manage various projects at once. It has some WYSIWYG features, but it also allows you to code in full html mode. It offers HTML/CSS/JScript syntax and tag completion. Things like that make it pretty handy to use.

Quanta Plus is a QT based program, meaning it was developed for KDE. However, you can use it on Gnome too, if you want. Or you can even install Kubuntu and give KDE a whirl :)

WalmartSniperLX
May 21st, 2007, 08:12 AM
Nice to see a new face around :P Welcome to the Ubuntu community, pretty much the largest community group in opensource. Right? Don't quote me on that just yet >.<

I had to dual boot for a while but at this momment (since last october) I have been MS free. :p I am loving it!

Canuckelhead
May 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Nice to see a new face around :P Welcome to the Ubuntu community, pretty much the largest community group in opensource. Right? Don't quote me on that just yet >.<

I believe our friends at Dell will make that very true indeed.

Hiya!

JenniferE
May 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
I'm glad that you're finding Ubuntu Studio to be satisfactory.

It's no secret that Linux isn't the greatest platform right now for graphics and video development, or even audio manipulation. But this is all slowly getting better, and it's good to know that it at least satisfies the need of some people.

If you're a professional web developer, you may want to try Quanta Plus and Kompozer (the latter is not in the repositories yet). They're both HTML editors.

Quanta Plus is especially flexible as it offers many ways to help you code and manage various projects at once. It has some WYSIWYG features, but it also allows you to code in full html mode. It offers HTML/CSS/JScript syntax and tag completion. Things like that make it pretty handy to use.

Quanta Plus is a QT based program, meaning it was developed for KDE. However, you can use it on Gnome too, if you want. Or you can even install Kubuntu and give KDE a whirl :)

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely have to have a look. I've got DreamWeaver & Photoshop 7 installed via crossover office, but if native Linux applications can meet my needs, this would be preferred.

JenniferE
May 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM

I had to dual boot for a while but at this momment (since last october) I have been MS free. :p I am loving it!

I have no idea if it is the largest opensource community, but I can say that this community is very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! :)

ThinkBuntu
May 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Enjoy! And if you get bored with Ubuntu, come to the Other OS forum for fresh ideas!

deepwave
May 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM
Welcome! The more the merrier!

juxtaposed
May 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Welcome to Freedom =)

starcraft.man
May 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM
YAY!!! Happy days, another Canadian has joined our ranks, and close to me too, i'm also in Quebec :).

Anyway, great for you to have found Ubuntu/Linux and ridden yourself of the BSoD trap called windows. If ya are looking for specific apps that may not be in Ubuntu studio or Feisty by default, my favourite place is linux app finder (http://linuxappfinder.com/), it indexes most of the applications available to Linux in general (most are in the repos of Ubuntu). You can either search or navigate by type (on left) and theres even a win alternatives section for weening off of windows apps.

Apart from that, a very big warm welcome from me and I hope ya find everything ya need around here, we try to be helpful as much as we can. Have fun, and feel free to tell others about your wonderful experience both in person and in our testimonials section :).

PS: Oh and its refreshing to see more of the female persuasion lately, linux isn't just for techie guys, its for everyone with an open mind :D.

Lucifiel
May 22nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
Welcome! :D

It's always good to see a fellow female on-board. :) There need to be more female Linux-users. :p

maniacmusician
May 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Welcome! :D

It's always good to see a fellow female on-board. :) There need to be more female Linux-users. :p
I'll drink to that! We already have cultural diversity, now we need to balance out the genders as well.