PDA

View Full Version : Open Source for charity

Boomy
May 21st, 2007, 02:00 AM
I was at the Salvation Army thrift store the other day. They were selling a complete computer. There was a tag on it, and the specs were something like 400MHz, 17" monitor...,UBUNTU! Pre-installed!, $99. Yeah, they had Ubuntu in all caps and with an exclamation point. I thought it was pretty cool to see, and a great idea. No licensing issues, the system already has enough software to get you going, no malware, etc. I almost want a job installing Linux on computers for charitable organizations after seeing it. I guess somebody out there already has one :D

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 02:02 AM
I was at the Salvation Army thrift store the other day. They were selling a complete computer. There was a tag on it, and the specs were something like 400MHz, 17" monitor...,UBUNTU! Pre-installed!, $99. Yeah, they had Ubuntu in all caps and with an exclamation point. I thought it was pretty cool to see, and a great idea. No licensing issues, the system already has enough software to get you going, no malware, etc. I almost want a job installing Linux on computers for charitable organizations after seeing it. I guess somebody out there already has one :D
I would do a better job than whoever that is :) Installing Gnome on a 400MHz cpu is sllooooww. Should've used blackbox or XFCE