PDA

View Full Version : Any MP3 players that work with Linux?

Boomy
May 21st, 2007, 01:16 AM
I have an ipod. I won't even get started on what a complete POS this thing is, or what an ordeal it is to transfer songs to. I want a good mp3 player that I can transfer music to without fuss. Something I could drag and drop files to directly from the filesystem with no fear of corrupting the firmware would be great. How are the Creative Zen players?

BitTorrentBuddha
May 21st, 2007, 01:24 AM
The creative nomad (Dell DJ included) series works fine with the program Gnomad2; however, given your previous post, it seems you're looking for drag and drop features. I don't believe this exists yet for Linux. I could be wrong, but the effort involved in using Gnomad2 to copy songs over doesn't seem too overwhelming. What were you using to write to your iPod?

chakkaradeep
May 21st, 2007, 01:27 AM
How are the Creative Zen players?

I have Creative Zen 1GB MP3 Player along with FM Radio. It just gets attached as an external USB device and I can drag and drop to that window folders/mp3s :p

vanden12
May 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM
ZEN Vision

Seem to be the best if you Hate the ipod but like linux

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM
I have an ipod. I won't even get started on what a complete POS this thing is, or what an ordeal it is to transfer songs to. I want a good mp3 player that I can transfer music to without fuss. Something I could drag and drop files to directly from the filesystem with no fear of corrupting the firmware would be great. How are the Creative Zen players?
I hear you. I detest iPods.

ZEN Vision

Seem to be the best if you Hate the ipod but like linux
uhh not really. Creative is not very Linux friendly at all.

to answer the OP's question, you have a few choices:

- Cowon products are generally very Linux friendly. www.cowon.com

- http://www.rockbox.org Find a rockbox compatible model and put rockbox on it once you buy it.

- Creative players usually seem to work as long as you have the right mtp libraries installed.

vanden12
May 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
They seemed to work well with amarok and some other media players.

Boomy
May 21st, 2007, 01:46 AM
Anyone using Listen or Exaile media players to send playlists to their mp3 players? The ideal player for me would be one that I can send playlists to it from programs like Listen, or also just drag files to it in Gnome. An added bonus would be for it to double as removable storage so I could carry my tunes and files.

Boomy
May 21st, 2007, 01:52 AM
What were you using to write to your iPod?

I tried Amarok, Exaile, Rhythmbox, Listen, GTK-Pod and another one. I think GTK-Pod was the only one that did the trick, but I had to initialize the filesystem on the ipod because one of the other programs corrupted it. It was just too much hassle. I don't want to open a second program to perform a task that should be possible with Listen or Amarok.

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM
They seemed to work well with amarok and some other media players.
That was our doing, not Creative's :) You'll find that most of their high end products, like soundcards, have no support at all on Linux because it's hard to reverse engineer. We managed to do it for the mp3 players because they were using the MTP specification.

Nonno Bassotto
May 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
I have a Samsung and I have no problem with it, as it just holds a FAT formatted disc, that you can use as any other storage medium. I'd avoid iPod and any other device that has the strange quirk of having to use some dedicated software to transfer files , rather than just copying them.

FuturePilot
May 21st, 2007, 02:32 AM
The creative nomad (Dell DJ included) series works fine with the program Gnomad2; however, given your previous post, it seems you're looking for drag and drop features. I don't believe this exists yet for Linux. I could be wrong, but the effort involved in using Gnomad2 to copy songs over doesn't seem too overwhelming. What were you using to write to your iPod?

Drag and drop does exist in Linux for MTP devices.
Linky (http://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/)
:D

tater_3001
May 21st, 2007, 02:36 AM
i have a sansa e250r and it works just dandy.. it hooks up to amarok and is drag and drop off of my playlists... draging and dropping with the windows doesnt work though and it has to be in rhapsody mode but it still plays the same on the sansa.. idk why there are diff modes .. hope that helps , Turner

PartisanEntity
May 21st, 2007, 08:53 AM
I use an Archos XS 202s (http://www.archos.com/products/audio/gmini_xs_202S/index.html?country=global&lang=en) (the 20gb version). It shows up as an external usb drive and I can drag & drop files. However it is purely an MP3 player (Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 kb/s CBR & VBR, WMA, WMA (PD DRM – download) and WAV (PCM) – ID tag 3 compatible.) and nothing more, it doesn't play video files, no colour display either.

jariku
May 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
My Sony NW-E003 can be used in Linux (with a Java application) but I would recommend everyone to stay away from all Sony mp3 players (and NetMD minidisc players too). If you have one, you might get it to work with Linux but don't even think about buying one if you want to be sure.

bonzodog
May 21st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Get a Samsung. I have a 2GB Samsung that just mounts as a mass storage device, and it also supports ogg and FLAC as well as mp3 and wma. This means you can just drag and drop to it.

Sunflower1970
May 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM
I just bought the Cowon 4 GB iAudo6. It should be here this week. I needed something that had an FM radio along with MP3 capability, which is one reason I got it. The price was pretty reasonable, and according to the site, it can play OGG and FLAC along with mp3. As someone above mentioned Cowon is pretty Linux-friendly. Can't wait till it's here :)

ceciliaFX
May 21st, 2007, 05:11 PM
iRiver makes music players that can play mp3's, ogg and a variety of other formats.

I would never get a device that couldn't be plugged in like a removable drive in which one have complete control over what files can be copied on it. And i don't want to install software just to get to files.

julian67
May 21st, 2007, 05:22 PM
If you can find an iRiver H320 or H340 or H120 or H140 they are all USB compliant and the H3** players are also UMS (USB Mass Storage) compliant so all these work with any OS with USB support (i.e. anything newer than Win 98).

My GF has an ipod Nano and it works OK with Amarok. If you have a lot of trouble with it then try rockbox firmware. Any portable player that has a regular USB port and doesn't require a driver or particular software under Win and Mac is going to work fine in Linux. Cowon iAudio are good. In some markets they are known as Xen. Any player which has a UMS logo on the box, or claims to be UMS compliant will work.

deepwave
May 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
I use an MPIO K2Audio (1 GB) and works fine under Linux. It only enjoys eating AAA batteries. But that can be remedied with rechargeable ones.

uputer
May 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Hey, I am replying to this thread and I'm doing the same. I'm going to buy a portable mp3 player to use in Linux/Ubuntu. My cheap "mp4" player I bought off ebay died so I am replacing it with something else. It had a very low battery life so I would like something that is around 20 hrs (for music) or better. I prefer the drag/drop method of transfer and the mp4 player I had worked as a removable usb device (as mentioned here).

I am considering the Cowon D2.

Can anyone comment on any of these?:

Cowon iAudio U3 2GB

Sandisk E250 Sansa 2G

Cowon iAudio D2 2GB

Creative ZEN V Plus 2GB

Samsung YP-T9JQB 2GB

CNET stated that the Creative Zen V player didn't have UMS support although it is an older review (maybe, it's outdated?).

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I use a 512MB iRiver T30 and just drag and drop OGGs into it, either individually or whole folders, it's all good. I've never used the iRiver software either in Ubuntu or Windows. The T30 works brilliantly, but I read somewhere that iRiver is dropping support for OGG. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope not, because all my CDs have been OGGed and I don't want to do it again as MP3.

julian67
May 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I use a 512MB iRiver T30 and just drag and drop OGGs into it, either individually or whole folders, it's all good. I've never used the iRiver software either in Ubuntu or Windows. The T30 works brilliantly, but I read somewhere that iRiver is dropping support for OGG. Does anyone know if this is true? I hope not, because all my CDs have been OGGed and I don't want to do it again as MP3.

You won't have to do it again.....if iriver drop ogg support now or in the future your current player isn't going to magically lose its ability to play ogg. If you buy a new player buy one which plays ogg.

Chilli Bob
May 25th, 2007, 10:01 AM
You won't have to do it again.....if iriver drop ogg support now or in the future your current player isn't going to magically lose its ability to play ogg. If you buy a new player buy one which plays ogg.

Oooohh...sarcasm! The point is I like iRiver. They make great hardware for a good price and I would buy it again when I next upgrade. Also it is an issue if you go to their site and upgrade your firmware only to find that you can no longer play your format of choice. (I remember reading that one of the manufacturers bowed to the copyright police and removed the ability to record off the built- in radio, without warning their customers who came to upgrade their firmware.)

brim4brim
May 25th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I have to recommend the 8GB Flash player from Sandisk. It connects as as a mass storage device which is all you want and only costs 200 dollars. Check out sandisks website (they go on about WMP11 being required and XP but a quick search will tell you that.

There is a decent Archo's MP3 player online aswell. The 30GB model is supposed to be very good for about 250 dollars I think.

Ventrue
May 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM
My Moore and Grundig players works fine, without problems :)

louistan3
May 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
well.. i have a toshiba gigabeat X30 i thnk... i changed the firmware to rockbox and it works perfectly with drag and drop in linux.. also in windows.. i thnk theres only a problem with drag and drop if the files have to be encrypted or smthn.. but yeh.. hope this helps... :)

zenkaon
May 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
My Sony Ericsson K750i mobile phone works great, just mounts as a fat32 drive. It's good to have a phone-walkman, when people call you the music pauses and when the call ends the music resumes.

julian67
May 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Oooohh...sarcasm! The point is I like iRiver. They make great hardware for a good price and I would buy it again when I next upgrade. Also it is an issue if you go to their site and upgrade your firmware only to find that you can no longer play your format of choice. (I remember reading that one of the manufacturers bowed to the copyright police and removed the ability to record off the built- in radio, without warning their customers who came to upgrade their firmware.)

you should be ok as iriver only bother with support while the player is current and as soon as they have a replacement model available there are no more firmware upgrades :D I have an H340 and have also owned H140 and another H340 which died under warranty. I like the players but I'm pleased rockbox firmware exists as iriver have no interest in providing enhanced features despite it being proven possible and relatively popular. If I had to buy another player I would happily switch brands or buy another iriver, it's not a big deal and depends on the features more than the name. If you buy in UK or Europe you should get a 2 year warranty and have a good choice of players. I believe you have less consumer rights in other parts of the world but can usually get much lower prices.

ThinkBuntu
May 25th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Transferring songs with an iPod is no fuss using Amarok with its iPod plugin (usually comes installed). I can edit tracks, artist names, etc. with ease, as well as copy music back and forth.

starcraft.man
May 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM
PSP!!!

Thats my vote, great UI both on screen and via the file structure drag and drop for music and videos. It's fully hackable, and doesn't need any proprietary software to load since its just a folder system. Check it out, their cheap now too. :)

And you can have a clean conscience sony plays mostly nice with OSS (and its not MS or apple) :).

prince_alfie
May 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I used my iPod 60 GB with the ROCKBOX mod and it works perfectly with my Ubuntu setup at home. Drag and drop like crazy indeed.

I also enjoy using the Sandisk E series as well. Smaller and I like them better than the nano in some ways.

I have a Zune laying around and that one is the most unhackable of devices!!! :popcorn:

tgalati4
May 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM
The iPod works great with iTunes on a mac. It's really best-in-class for usablility and simplicity. However, it sometimes doesn't play nice in Linux. You can sometimes format it as ext2 or HFS and that will give you better performance over FAT. I think you can only do this from a mac though (using the initializer program).

iPods with Linux alone is a fiddly combination. But with a mac to initialize and initially load music and podcasts, it's not a bad companion with Linux. You can load it with standard mp3's so that your music will play in both iTunes and in several Linux players. No ogg support unless you wipe it and load Rockbox.

Concerning cell phones: The Sony iW810 is a great music phone. You can put in a 4GB or 8GB memory stick pro duo (gaming sticks work as well). Avoid Sony network players NW-E505 and similar. They are windows-only and a pain even to use in windows.

My 2 cents.

prince_alfie
May 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
The iPod works great with iTunes on a mac. It's really best-in-class for usablility and simplicity. However, it sometimes doesn't play nice in Linux. You can sometimes format it as ext2 or HFS and that will give you better performance over FAT. I think you can only do this from a mac though (using the initializer program).

iPods with Linux alone is a fiddly combination. But with a mac to initialize and initially load music and podcasts, it's not a bad companion with Linux. You can load it with standard mp3's so that your music will play in both iTunes and in several Linux players. No ogg support unless you wipe it and load Rockbox.

Concerning cell phones: The Sony iW810 is a great music phone. You can put in a 4GB or 8GB memory stick pro duo (gaming sticks work as well). Avoid Sony network players NW-E505 and similar. They are windows-only and a pain even to use in windows.

My 2 cents.

I have the Sony iW810 phone and it's awesome but no ogg support! :(

Sunflower1970
May 25th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Just an update.

My iAudio6 arrived Wednesday night. It's awesome! Works better in Linux than in Windows, has OGG and FLAC support. And the sound on it is amazing. Much better than I ever thought an mp3 player could do. The menu on it isn't very intuitive at first, but once one gets use to it, it's easy to navigate.

My only real annoyance is the hold button is the same as the power on/off button. I've more than once taken it off hold and accidentally turned the machine off. The other annoyance is that the play/record/arrow keys are very sensitive. One just needs to place their finger or swipe their finger, (or just about any object) near or on the button and the songs will change, or it'll start to record, or stop the music. So, once everything's set the player has to be placed on hold to keep the settings in place....which then means I will accidentally turn the player off at some point when I take it off hold to change something. (lol)

tehbeermang
May 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Good to hear, makes me want to ditch burning mp3 disks for the car and just use the aux in from the back of the deck. I wouldn't have to have that pesky cd sleeve in there.

B0rsuk
May 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I use iriver T30 1GB. I had to use my friend's computer to install drivers, which are windows xp only. Initially it works only in some kind of microsoft protocol, but once drivers are installed, it's in UMS mode. Basically a USB / Flash device. It lost some functionality like playlist, but otherwise it's very good. I hate to say it, but sound quality is better on this device than on my soundcard.

I chose it because I knew it can be made to work under linux, and it supports .ogg vorbis.

cub
June 8th, 2007, 07:56 PM
I have a Creative Zen Sleek Photo and so far I haven't got it to work or connect to my Edgy. It pops up as a camera, then tells me is not a camera and hangs up. I played around with gnomad2 as well, but gave up. I might give it another shot when I've forgot about the hassle. :D

GumbyX
August 26th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I just got my sansa e250r to work with my ubuntu 7.04 64bit install, but I am having problems getting songs transfered over. Rhythmbox seems to be the only music player that will recognize it (amarok doesn't see anything) and crashes when I try to transfer over certain songs (its always the same songs that it dies at).

Anyone think they can help, or I am in trouble for using a 64bit operating system?

Also, I am looking into getting new mp3 player and the Cowon DS and iAudio 7 look as if they are the best ones out there with ease of use with Linux.

HEADS UP!!!!
Not sure if anyone here will care, but it seems the Creative Zen V Plus 4GB is on sale at Best Buy for only $60! I wasn't going to get one, but for the price, I might just get it and give it a try and see if i works better then my e250r. If so, maybe I will just stick with that one instead of one of the Cowons. Anyone have success w/ the Creative Zen V Plus? And would anyone happen to get it working on a 64bit version of Ubuntu?

stalker145
August 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I use a Sandisk C240/250/something/can't/find/the/durn/thing.

It works very nicely once you go into the player's settings and change it so that it acts like a mass storage device. No drivers, no programs needed to load it. Even shows pictures. Too bad it doesn't play .ogg :(

Maybe when Rockbox comes out with this model...

spartan777
August 31st, 2007, 10:18 PM
i strongly disagree about the psp being a good mp3 player. i've had one since the day it came out. It is what i use for music, and I mostly use it for music, but only becuase i have to. it is just way too big, and has too small a capacity (they have 4gb sticks now, ~ $35 us on ebay), the music organizing on it is poor (a simply main directory, and at most one folder in that for organizing albums into). the psp also has awful codec support. it can only play mp3 and wma for music.

what the psp is good for, however, is for watching movies. the screen is huge for a device of about $180 retail. the only thing is that it has a very poor response time, which will improve in the next version of the psp.

dentaku65
September 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
I don't have any (well except an old usb player by acer that of course it works); but I managed iPod of my nephews very well with amaroK, copy from/to, managing playlist, etc..

Den

LookTJ
September 1st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Cowon products works with Linux I've heard

GumbyX
September 2nd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Cowon products works with Linux I've heard

Ya the Cowon line of MP3 players look like they are one of the best choices for Linux. Anyone had hands-on experience with any Cowon players?

Not sure if anyone cares, but after doing some research, it looks like any of the Creative Zen line mp3 players will work well within ubuntu if you use Gonomad2. It says it will work with any Zen player. Couldn't find out if it has been tested with the Zen V/V Plus or any of the newer models. Here is hoping (and hoping it will work with the new Creative Zen when it comes out later this month).

ry4n
September 2nd, 2007, 04:31 AM

I have an ipod and it works great I use Rythmbox and I have used songbird and that was great.

I don't know if that helps and i am sure that it doesn't I just saw a lot of ipod bashing. The only thing that sux with my ipod is that it doesn't play Ogg.

andrew.46
September 2nd, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hi,

Searching the forums for iRiver info:

Well I am listening to an X20 8gig iRiver player and it plays ogg stright out of the box. Picked this up just a week ago. Crystal clear sound!

Andrew

rsay
September 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I have the Cowon Iaudio 7 (8Gb flash based) and I think its fantastic with linux. I returned a Sandisk C250 because it was not recognizing id3 v2.4 tags. (All of my tracks came up unknown artist, unknown album)

My Cowon player has two modes, one based on tags and one based on file structure. In tag mode it works best with mp3 files but plays ogg and flac beautifully. The player with firmware 1.15 doesn't recognize tags on the ogg or flac files, however, there is a rumor that tag and playlist support is coming in a future firmware upgrade. I like the tag mode because the interface is a little more robust, for example, you can play your songs back based on artist, album, year, favorites, recently added to player etc.

In file mode it works very well with the flac, ogg and mp3 tracks that I have put on it. (docs say WMA is also supported) I normally use amarok to put the music on because amarok can place all of the tracks into a folder hierarchy based on genre/artist/album automatically. (Amarok is very flexible if you want to make the structure different like making folders based on genre/year/first letter of artist name/artist/album/file type etc.) I have amarok automatically transcode my flacs to mp3s when I move to the player using the fast and dirty transcoder. Drag and drop support from nautilus also works great.

No non-linux software is required for firmware upgrades. You just drop the new firmware in the root folder and reboot the player.

I can't comment on the photos/videos since I don't use them. You might need to use the Cowon windows software to transcode the videos to a suitable format until somebody figures out and posts how to transcode in linux.

The user interface is as good as anything I have used except ipod. I was told by the sales guy at Cowon that the button bumping issue is minimized by putting the player in a case built specifically for the player. I just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. Battery life is amazing.

Last, but certainly not least. The sound is awesome. I also have sandisk, creative and apple players in the house and the Cowon sounds the best. I could even notice better sound on my car radio.

I found newegg to be less expensive than jetmall on price fwiw.

Acglaphotis
September 6th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Sansa FTW!

andrew.46
September 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hi,

Was chasing up ogg info and came across your post:

My Cowon player has two modes, one based on tags and one based on file structure. In tag mode it works best with mp3 files but plays ogg and flac beautifully. The player with firmware 1.15 doesn't recognize tags on the ogg or flac files, however, there is a rumor that tag and playlist support is coming in a future firmware upgrade.

You seem to be right on top of your player and file types but a small alarm bell rang when you spoke of ogg 'tags'. I wonder if you have your oggs inadvertently labelled with id3 tags rather than ogg comments? I have spent some time recently putting ogg comments in 'by hand' using vorbiscomment which are immediately picked up by my iRiver X20. Perhaps this might be the case with yours too?

Andrew

puppy
September 7th, 2007, 01:29 AM
The Sandisk Sansa range (without the R) work perfectly - mounted and used very easily in both Rhythmbox and Amarok. You can also drag and drop to the media player's folder. Although there is no native ogg support unfortunately, you can install Rockbox onto it

Lots of choice of very linux compatible mp3 players now thank god - I would NOT recommend Creative products at all, given their absolute disdain for linux and the awkwardness of getting their windows-facing mp3 players to work under linux - it can be very hit and miss....

nest
September 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Sandisk 512mb works perfectly.

martin_prince
September 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I have a Cowon iAudio X5 20Gig audio player and it works great with Linux. Just drag and drop your files onto it like any other flash drive. Worked on Fedora and Ubuntu no problems.

For video though, with my model (might be a little older) you have to record/convert the video using their Windows program, so that is one drawback I guess, but I don't really use video.

Huge plus: it reads OGG and Flac files with no problem!

Edit: all my OGG and Flac tags are read by the player, don't know if it has something to do with my model or firmware or something, but I've never had it not read the OGG tags.

Pancetilla
September 7th, 2007, 05:56 PM
For video though, with my model (might be a little older) you have to record/convert the video using their Windows program, so that is one drawback I guess, but I don't really use video.

Try acidrip for encoding dvds
Try iriverter to make .avi X5 friendly

Both are in the repositories :)

samb0057
September 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
everyone please post your reviews on ubuntuhcl.org

3rdalbum
October 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Bumping the thread a little. The new Sony Walkman range is drag 'n' drop and works perfectly on Linux. The model numbers are NWZ-S61xy, where x is the capacity in gigabytes, and y is a letter corresponding to colour.

The only thing which didn't initially work that was important to me was video - this MP3 player has incredibly precise requirements for video, and the version of ffmpeg that comes with Feisty will not encode the audio correctly. But after you update ffmpeg, you're laughing!

I haven't investigated getting playlists to happen on Linux, but if there's any demand I'll reverse-engineer it and chuck it into BlackLight.

BigSilly
October 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Both me and the missus have a Sansa Sandisk M240 1Gb player each, and that works perfectly in Linux. It's a bit of a sod when it decides to put tracks on in the wrong order sometimes, but that's a known problem with the player and not a Linux issue. It used to do it when I had Windows.

The missus found a way around it I think. I must ask her how she did it...but we don't buy proprietary music players in this house anyway, so this fits the bill.

lundish
October 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
sansa m240. works absolutely perfect under linux and it is a good and cheap mp3player :)

b0ng0
October 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Get a Cowon (iAudio) player. They work with most audio formats (e.g. ogg, flac, mp3, wma, etc) they can play most video files and dont require any software to transfer files (they work just like memory pens). I highly recommend the i7 which I own or the D2 is you want a touchscreen and awesome video playback.

A good fansite is www.iaudiophile.net

julian67
October 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Both me and the missus have a Sansa Sandisk M240 1Gb player each, and that works perfectly in Linux. It's a bit of a sod when it decides to put tracks on in the wrong order sometimes, but that's a known problem with the player and not a Linux issue. It used to do it when I had Windows.

The missus found a way around it I think. I must ask her how she did it...but we don't buy proprietary music players in this house anyway, so this fits the bill.

My experience with various generic mp3 players: If you copy a folder of music from PC to player the player plays them in the order in which they were written to disk. This has never in my experience corresponded to any file naming/numbering scheme or tag info but likely corresponds to the order in which they lie on the PC's HDD. The workaround is to make an appropriately named empty folder for the
music on the mp3 player, then copy the music into it from the PC and the file naming will determine the play order. i.e. 01 - artist - trackname will play first, then 02 - artist - trackname and so on.

derekr44
October 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Creative Zen + Gnomad2 = Niceness

Wiebelhaus
October 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Sansa line works great! also when buying Sandisk products you know your getting quality.

xens
October 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Get a Cowon (iAudio) player. They work with most audio formats (e.g. ogg, flac, mp3, wma, etc) they can play most video files and dont require any software to transfer files (they work just like memory pens). I highly recommend the i7 which I own or the D2 is you want a touchscreen and awesome video playback.

A good fansite is www.iaudiophile.net

I've buy one one month ago, It really rox !!!

- High audio quality
- FLAC OGG support
- Long battery life
- Easy firmware update

eriqk
October 29th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I got a Samsung YP Z5 on the cheap the other day (they're discontinued). Very nice player, I can drop files from Nautilus and it plays oggs. The newer versions (don't know the name, it's probably something just as poetic as "yp z5") look very, very slick.

Groet, Erik

Gondor
December 16th, 2007, 08:14 AM
My Sony NW-E003 can be used in Linux (with a Java application) but I would recommend everyone to stay away from all Sony mp3 players (and NetMD minidisc players too). If you have one, you might get it to work with Linux but don't even think about buying one if you want to be sure.

The name of this Java application? :confused:

flacvest
March 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
That Java application is iRiverter-0.16 (not any of the other ones)

you can also use avidemux or winff

my $0.02 and best experiences have been with COWON iAUDIO hardware music players. I've heard the best about them, then experienced the Best with them via a D2, and now an O2PMP.

They work Beautifully in MSC mode as pluggable Hard Drives to drag and drop music to the /MUSIC folder on the device, and with the D2 (haven't tried with the O2PMP) in...

MTP mode with amaroK as a music player.

it helps to (as root) or via sudo, add an empty document to the root of the device titled:

.is_audio_player

...to get amaroK to play nice with it, and certain other apps to behave.

you can search for more info for D2 and amarok on the site amot.wordpress.com as there's a decent guide there.

The BEST part about COWON iAUDIO hardware is the BBE/BBE+ Sound processing and JetAudio Sound processing sound sets... it turns a simple Linux or WinCE based Audio Player into a EQ-Equipped Sound-Processing mini-sound-mixing-studio for your eardrums. You won't be disappointed.

Best idea is to visit the iAudiophile forums to check out the quirks / strong suits of each player before making a decision AFTER making a pro / con list based on looks / size / features / budget after visiting cowon global or cowon america etc.

Hope this helps.

gamerchick02
April 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
This works really well with a Sony Walkman NWZ-E438F. I added that empty file, and now it works in Rhythmbox. I'm sure now it will work in Banshee and Amarok now too.

Thanks!!

Amy

So Tough
April 8th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have a cowon and it "just works" on linux, and the product is amazing quality