PDA

View Full Version : Summer Fun

trivialpackets
June 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Summer fun for me is using Suse. I was speaking with a friend of mine who is doing lots within IT, and as I'm a student, he recommended using suse to get used to some of the tools, as their servers are pretty solid and fairly common. So I'm messing with that for the moment. Any other ideas of OS's that would be useful to learn for future use? I'm doing some network setting up with this, and am thinking about doing this with some other distros, perhaps fedora, as I'm not really going to be spending $$ at this point. Just looking to see how the other side lives.

I like Ubuntu much better btw.

sapo
June 28th, 2005, 02:05 PM
if you goal is learn set up a slackware server WITHOUT any graphical stuff.. i m sure you will learn a lot ;)

tread
June 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM
It might help to try out a different flavour of Unix, just to understand the differences between Linux and Unix. You could try Solaris or any of the BSDs ..

trivialpackets
June 28th, 2005, 02:23 PM
It might help to try out a different flavour of Unix, just to understand the differences between Linux and Unix. You could try Solaris or any of the BSDs ..
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into these.

trivialpackets
June 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM
if you goal is learn set up a slackware server WITHOUT any graphical stuff.. i m sure you will learn a lot ;)
On this note though, man I loved slack too. I'll definitely look into this.

trivialpackets
June 28th, 2005, 02:51 PM
On this note though, man I loved slack too. I'll definitely look into this.
I miss ubuntu already. lol. I am going to move ubuntu back to my notebook and set up my old desktop as the server....it seems so much slower to use suse.

UbuWu
June 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
If you want to learn more about linux, try linux from scratch or gentoo...

jeremy
June 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I've just had my summer fun, a week sweating in London, then back home with a new fan (12cm. heat pipes), much quieter now!