PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Dapper Drake to Feisty Fawn?

interglossa
May 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
After running 6.06 for about a year, - in general the best of the Linux distros I have run over the last ~10 years for general use - I am thinking about upgrading to Feisty Fawn in order to install Ubuntu Studio. Other people may be watching the boards more consistently than I have but I have the impression feisty is a bumpy ride, particularly for multimedia use. Anyone care to share an impression?

Tucatts
May 21st, 2007, 03:34 PM
Well, lets see. I have two dual booted machines in my office. XP on both and Dapper on one and Feisty on the other. To be honest they both work fine. I had a bunch of xorg problems with Dapper but have not had that in a while now and besides it broke so much I got to be a bit of an expert in fixing it, lol. Feisty has been very stable, all the multimedia stuff works, cd and dvd burning, printing, etc. I have had Dapper for over a year and it is also very stable now. I can't tell a lot of difference between the two. I might mention that both are on a router but wired. I have not used Ubuntu for a wireless connect yet but Feisty seems to have had better press on that and I bet it would work better. The only big problem I have with Ubuntu is I need to use a scanner in my sales job. Not often but man when I need it I need it, so not being able to get my Brother or visioneer scanners to work is a problem Also need active sync for my pocket pc phone and while Feisty seems to be set up for a PDA dock it does not seem to work with win mobile 5.0. I am about 95% there with Ubuntu but not 100% yet. Still I do most of my computer work with Ubuntu and only reboot into xp when it is absolutely necessary.
So, I guess you can give Feisty a try or go with the old saying" if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol
Have tried freespire, linspire, pclinuxos etc and always come back to Ubuntu.
Tucatts

wieman01
May 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I thought about upgrading as well, but hey, it kind of like Dapper, it's stable as a rock (after a few teething troubles in the beginning), and Feisty would not add any value at all in my opinion. I don't see a reason why I should change at all. Plus its support lasts for another 2 years, whatelse would you want?!

scrooge_74
May 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM
I have a mix of Ubuntu versions working: my wife has Dapper (if aint broken....) my kids have Xubuntu Edgy because their's has low RAM and was working fine with Dapper (but I wanted to experiment). Mine has Feisty (had Edgy) because I had issues with Broadcom wifi card (which now is working better).

Before I went and got myself a scanner I made some research first to see if those available were supported. In Dapper I had to compile things (it was easy enough), from Edgy on I just installed HPLIP and that was all to it

interglossa
May 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much everyone for your assessments! The responses are really appreciated. I am only thinking about upgrading because of Ubuntu Studio. Otherwise I have been quite satisfied with Dapper Drake.