PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best Linux operating system?

the lemming
May 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Putting loyalty aside, who makes the best OS?

Adamant1988
May 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Linux isn't about best in general, but 'best' for a specific need. Currently Red Hat and Novell have the Linux userspace covered for Enterprise desktops and servers, for the home desktop users, I just can't say that a suitable replacement for the other existing platforms exists, right now. Time will correct this of course.

Balazs_noob
May 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
For my needs Ubuntu is the best ...
i only tried 2-3 other distros, but Ubuntu was a lot more noob friendly :D

WaeV
May 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I agree. I tried debian and then fedora before I came to ubuntu, and while I liked debian a little better it had nowhere near the fan base of ubuntu. Plus I like the package manager.

juxtaposed
May 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Best is subjective.

I like debian and the distros based on it, though Fedora looks really nice (atleast at core 4, the last time I used it).

starcraft.man
May 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM

I do have to wonder sometimes why people ask this question in the Ubuntu forums and expect people to answer something else other than Ubuntu :p

I mean of course there are people who use other flavors of Linux after I guess they started on Ubuntu and moved on, but you do have to guess that most people who hang on a forum with the name "Ubuntu forums", would use the OS in question and believe it to be the best (else I imagine, they would move to another OS with their respective forums).

In any case, I guess I would answer Ubuntu to be my favourite (I've only sampled debian, fedora and opensuse a bit though), its simple, good package system, and its got these great forums. And all the wonderful coders and devs behind it are the people who make it great, I don't think its fair to pick one name, all have done their own part to make it what it is.

userundefine
May 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Linus Torvalds and other kernel hackers.

mech7
May 20th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Apple

karellen
May 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Linus Torvalds and other kernel hackers.

:lolflag:

Adamant1988
May 20th, 2007, 08:17 PM

If you're talking about generalities, I would say that Mac OS X has the upper hand on most operating systems, but mostly because it's tied to it's hardware.

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
If you're talking about generalities, I would say that Mac OS X has the upper hand on most operating systems, but mostly because it's tied to it's hardware.
The title of his post was "Who makes the best Linux operating system?" While BSD is somewhat similar, it's not exactly the same thing

jrusso2
May 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Speaking from 11 years of using Linux, Ubuntu or Linux mint is the best all around system for a new user.

I have used most of the current distros.

I have found Fedora=Buggy
Suse=not bad bit slow and not as easy as Ubuntu
Mandriva= Terrible buggy
Freespire=old and broken repository
PCLinuxOS=Second Best choice

Adamant1988
May 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM
The title of his post was "Who makes the best Linux operating system?" While BSD is somewhat similar, it's not exactly the same thing

/facepalm. Sorry, I completely forgot the title and just looked strictly at the post. I can be a little scatter-brained sometimes.

KaroSHiv0n
May 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Well i have in the last few months used a lot of distros, i use Ubuntu on my main rig, and (currently) Fedora on my torrent server, Fedora is really stable for me but i have been spoilt by apt, yum is really slow in comparison and i seem to eventually loose interest in any distro without it, so for me debian based distro's are the best.

Tundro Walker
May 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM
...i have been spoilt by apt [and] eventually loose interest in any distro without it, so for me debian based distro's are the best.

Debian's "killer app". I tried other distro's, and tossed out ones that didn't have apt, then tossed out ones that weren't noob-friendly. I ended up with Ubuntu.