PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Live Portland, OR July 22-24 2007

pak33m
May 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hiya,

Anybody plan on going? I am seriously considering going.

I think that as the Ubuntu Florida Team it would be our duty to go, (no offense) like the Muslim should make the Hajj (or trip to Mecca). This would be a great place to meet as a team.

Has there been any word from the community about LoCo teams going and/or even discounts for going?

Bordy
May 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I have a friend in Winterhaven who is heading out, but I know that I seriously cannot afford it.

However, I am sure that if somebody went it would be entirely fun and I would be jealous.

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
May 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
I have a friend in Winterhaven who is heading out, but I know that I seriously cannot afford it.

However, I am sure that if somebody went it would be entirely fun and I would be jealous.

That would be me ;-)

Don't worry - just get me a list of what you need or think you might need and I will get CDs, shirts, whatever I can get my hands on. And notes - plenty of notes.

I am considering taking the digital camera so I can record sections of the conference as well - need to get more info on that - like if I need special permission. It would be great if I could record it to show to the group or give it on DVDs at meetings.

pak33m
May 29th, 2007, 05:32 PM
NeoTaoistTechnoPagan,

Did you use any of the discounts available for Ubuntu Live? If so, which one(s) did you apply?

I shouldn't have a problem financing the conference and the trip but the discounts would certainly help.

lazyart
May 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Man I need a ubuntu decal for my vehicle. Have a great time.

If they give you any noise about recording the conference, tell them that since Ubuntu is covered by the GPL, any reference to it puts the conference under it also. :)

Bordy
May 29th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Could always finance the trip and conference for me too ;)

feravolo
May 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM
There also is an event in the fall in Boston at the end of October, to bad they don't have one of these
things in Orlando. I would consider traveling to Boston, unless of course the Red Sox win the pendent, since
the idea of Boston in the World Series id disgusting enough without actually being there for it.

https://launchpad.net/sprints/uds-boston-2007

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
May 29th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I'll grab some decals - no worries. As for recording the conference, I'll keep that detail in mind.

Anyone need anything else?

As for discounts - no. Wish I were a full-time student though - 65% off.

martinw89
May 30th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I definitely would not be able to finance my way, unfortunately that might be how most of the team is.

pak33m
May 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Guess I better make up my mind fast about going if I am going to take advantage of any discount. I do not mind a bit off the price for most things. I will have to ask my professor if I would be considered a full-time student - 65% off is not a bad deal!

Has there been any encouragement by the Ubuntu community at large to have LoCo Team members attend? I think that it would be beneficial to all to at least have a few members attend and get in on the community sessions.

feravolo
June 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
About How much will it cost to go ?

1) To Get In to the Conference

2) Getting There

3) A Decent Hotel and Meals

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
June 4th, 2007, 02:46 PM
About How much will it cost to go ?

1) To Get In to the Conference

2) Getting There

3) A Decent Hotel and Meals

Both my wife and I are going to Portland. She has no desire to go to the conference, so we're taking some extra so she can do what she wants to do.

It costs nothing to get into the exhibit hall, just the conference and/or tutorials. I paid $645 for myself and that includes meals while in the conference.

The trip there including hotel we purchased through Expedia back in April and it was around $1000 for us both. As for getting around while in Portland, we're planning on using their public transit system.

pak33m
July 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM
bump...to find out who else will be going besides myself (finally pulled it off!) and NeoTaoistTechnoPagan?

lamalex
July 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I, from the PA team will be there. I got the 65% off student discount. Very nice. I'm staying in the "Inn at the conference center." For transportation I'm renting a bike or borrowing one from my cousin's friend who lives in portland. bike as in bicycle. portland is a bike city.