PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to be reminded to add/remove the RESOLVED tag to your threads?

PartisanEntity
May 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
2 June 2007 - Edit: The poll question is misleading, I have clarified the issue in large colourful letters in this post :)

I think this would be a great feature, but so far I did not get any feedback in the Forum Feedback & Help forum.

So here is a poll.

Would you be interested in a forum feature that pm's a member after a designated period of time to remind him to add/remove the RESOLVED tag to his/her threads?

Lets say I start a thread about my graphics card, a couple days later I get an automated pm from the forum reminding me to edit the status of my thread, whether it is resolved or pending.

It would really help us all if we could see the status of each thread while searching the forum, but very few people seem to use this feature.

I constantly update the status of my threads since this will help anyone else searching the same issue.

Happy_Man
May 20th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, but if you auto-subscribe, that automatically pulls updated threads to your User CP. And you autosubscribe when you make a post. So that pulls your started threads too. This feature would be redundant....

PartisanEntity
May 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, but if you auto-subscribe, that automatically pulls updated threads to your User CP. And you autosubscribe when you make a post. So that pulls your started threads too. This feature would be redundant....

Well in that case it would seem that very few people use the subscription feature. The point is there should be a reminder to update the status of a thread, as in:

"Hi, this is ubuntuforums.org, you posted this thread some time ago. Did the input of other members solve your problem? If yes please update the status of your post to RESOLVED. Thanks"

Sammi
May 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Only new and very casual members don't use the auto-subscription feature.

PartisanEntity
May 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Only new and very casual members don't use the auto-subscription feature.

In that case the community needs a little push I would say, unless the RESOLVED tag doesn't seem helpful to you. But to me it seems crucial, that way, when I search the forum, I can immediately focus on threads that were resolved before going through other threads, of course if I am part of a small niche that thinks is useful then naturally it won't be an issue to most members.

Tundro Walker
May 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
I would like...

...for the Ubuntu forum to automatically lock me out after 30 minutes and not let me log in until 24 hours later. I spend WAY too much time on here!

Kilz
May 21st, 2007, 02:54 AM
I hope if this feature is made part of the forums , it can be turned off.

DarkN00b
May 21st, 2007, 03:33 AM
Not personally. I get an e-mail at Gmail every time there is a new post in a subscribed thread. A copy is forwarded to my ISP account, so as long as I'm online I'll know in no more than 10 minutes anyway.

PartisanEntity
May 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM
But that's not the point ladies and gents, the point is not to be up to date on how many posts there are or when a post is made, the point of this thread is to be reminded to edit the status of your thread to add the RESOLVED tag in case of success!!

This thread is not about subscription to a thread, and it is also not about receiving a message when someone posts to your thread!

sheesh :)

p.s. added screenshot of what i am talking about
p.p.s now that I look at it again I may have chosen a bad title for this thread. what i meant was: "would you like to be reminded to add or remove the RESOLVED tag to your thread?

PartisanEntity
May 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
The thread title has been kindly edited by the mods, now vote away! :)

Happy_Man
May 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
I would like...

...for the Ubuntu forum to automatically lock me out after 30 minutes and not let me log in until 24 hours later. I spend WAY too much time on here!

Absolutely seconded. I'm wasting my life on here.....:p

PartisanEntity
May 22nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
just bumping this again for maximum exposure

forestpixie
May 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
How does someone get their thread title changed to resolved -

it certainly makes it easier on the head if you know when you get to the end of a page you could have solved your problem without starting again on another!

While it's good to read threads and learn (and I seem to be dojng loads of that) - it can be a bit grrrr when you've read loads of replies - and you're still no wiser.

Not a complaint though - I've learnt loads from the forums!!!!

xyz
May 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Is it really THAT hard to remember to mark threads as Resolved?
I can't imagine it is! I don't need a "babysitter".

Let's take our responsabilities. Don't ask mods to do more!

forestpixie
May 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't need babysitting - I would like to know how to change thread title to say it's resolved though - is that hard to understand

xyz
May 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Sorry if I was offensive; I didn't mean to. I was only stating how I saw things.

According to the title "Would you like to be reminded to add/remove the RESOLVED tag to your threads?"....what can I say?

Anyways in order to mark a thread Resolved, you have to edit your first post and check the Resolved box.

Quillz
May 27th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Sure, sounds like a genuinely helpful feature.

forestpixie
May 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Excellent - thats what I wanted to find out - I can go back over the last couple of weeks - marking mine - then I won't need reminding and it'll be a bit easier for all.

I have had so much useful help from everyone it's been quite wonderful, not only with my own threads - but reading everyone elses! Spend so much time the kids keep moaning about being hungry!!

Thanks to everyone.

=D>

PartisanEntity
June 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I am bumping this once again, the original title was misleading and one of the mods corrected it for me. The poll question is still misleading but I have clarified the issue in the first post in large colourful letters :)

Please vote.

Would you be interested in a forum feature that pm's a member after a designated period of time to remind him to add/remove the RESOLVED tag to his/her threads?