PDA

View Full Version : popularity-contest

Mateo
May 20th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Just thought people might want to know that there is a package called popularity-contest that is installed by default and you might not even know about it. Apparently it sends information to developers weekly telling them what you have installed on your computer. Whether you keep it installed is up to you, but I thought people might want to know. Personally, I consider this to be an egregious violation of privacy, not to mention wasting bandwidth. It's easy to uninstall this though, so that's good.

Spr0k3t
May 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM
I keep this installed just for the reason of sending the information to the developers. If the devs of the applications we use know we are using them, it will help build their drive to making the application better. Do a search for "popularity-contest" it's been posted numerous times.

Edit: From quick search, I found this package is installed by default but disabled by default as well. You have to actively turn it on if you want to use it.

Mateo
May 20th, 2007, 03:35 AM
I really think this should be part of the installation process. It should ask you if you want the software installed or not. The way it is done now, the user doesn't even know it's on their computer unless they somehow come across it, and I think that's wrong.

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM
I really think this should be part of the installation process. It should ask you if you want the software installed or not. The way it is done now, the user doesn't even know it's on their computer unless they somehow come across it, and I think that's wrong.
I don't really see what the big deal is. It's not as if it's sending back any distinguishing statistics.

juxtaposed
May 20th, 2007, 03:48 AM
In debian it asks in the installer if you want it, and since it asked nicely, I said yes.

There was a thread on forums.debian.net that said that ubuntu and debian had a comparable ammount of popcon users, yet debian asks if you want to do it.

I think it sends the data every sunday at 6:47 AM or sometime around then. If you have your computer off it will do it when you start it up.

Anyway, I think it is good to use, but having it on by default without the user knowing isn't good.

Mateo
May 20th, 2007, 03:58 AM
So in debian the installer asks if you want to install it but in ubuntu it just installs it automatically? that's weird.

aysiu
May 20th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Some related threads:
How to uninstall popularity-contest? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217917&highlight=popularity+contest)
popularity-contest spyware! :) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=78568&highlight=popularity+contest)
Add popularity contest to install setup (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=327463&highlight=popularity+contest)

yatt
May 20th, 2007, 06:00 AM
So in debian the installer asks if you want to install it but in ubuntu it just installs it automatically? that's weird.
On Ubuntu you have to manually enable it. You can do it on the confirmation page of the installer.

23meg
May 20th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Or via System / Administration / Software Sources / Statistics.

Polygon
May 20th, 2007, 06:32 AM
In feisty there was an option in ubuiquity (the installer) to enable it.