PDA

View Full Version : Remote Support for Linux

bradleyd
May 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Would anyone be interested in remote support for Linux? If there was a download you could just click and install. Then have a simple ui that the user could just click one button and connect to a support technician. It would be available for a small fee, but you would be able to get live remote help for your desktop. I am curious how the community would accept it.
Any feedback would be great.
Take care.
Brad

tehkain
May 20th, 2007, 01:55 AM
VNC/SSH and the like are powerful tools. I am not in need of this, but if I was I would be really check out their TOA/TOS and their reputation/history. Giving remote access is risky and even major PC manufactures and support groups are being very careful with it. If a reputable company did it I would support it and recommend it. Even the physical repair company - Geek Squad(ripoffsquad) at Bestbuy(2nd in electronic distribution) have been known to violate peoples privacy and break trust(eg the botnet from Geek Squad, and the time when they installed a camera in some ladies shower). Its risky.

bradleyd
May 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I heard about that story. They had enough problems with poor service and unqualified techs, now perverts to boot.

bradleyd
May 20th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I was talking about a secure connection initiated by the end user. This way when they want off they can just kill the connection with a disconnect button.
I think it is time for a Linux only remote support. If you have looked there aren't any. Well at least not with a self-contained package that installs with an installer, and does not need the user to install any dependencies to run it.(only dep right now is glibc verison higher than 2.36)
With Ubuntu to be sold on Dell's, hopefully we will get a lot of new users. They should have every support option that other OS's have.
I.M.H.O