PDA

View Full Version : smallest app that helped you make the switch?

%hMa@?b<C
May 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM
When I was first trying out linux, back in '02-'01 although I knew very little about linux (I was in 5th or 6th grade), windows had become overrun with viruses from KaZaA, Gnome + slackware on my celeron powered compaq with 128 mb of RAM ran ok. My brothers gave me gripes, but I had no real qualms due to one upcomming program, mupen64, (Zelda OoT is my favorite game ever made, I have beaten it at least 20 times and at least 5 were on sub 10 hour speedruns) Just the idea that I would be able to play the same game that I enjoyed so much on n64 and the only game I played on windows (ultraHLE :)) was enough to keep my interest in linux. It didnt run full speed or anything bujt that app really kept me from going back to Windows. Any for you?

theicyj
May 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Many of the more mainstream apps (like openoffice, firefox, ect) all helped me move over to Linux. If I had to pinpoint just one, it would be a good backup program. One thing that did hold me back for a few months or so was a good backup utility. I just can't stand doing anything on a computer in which I can't back all my office documents, photos, music, and other personal docs on a regular basis with an easy to use app. I just cannot afford to lose my documents. When using windows, I had got hooked on Syncback. I finally found an very simular replacement in linux, grsync (GUI frontend for rsync), this is one of those little apps that keeps me addicted to Linux.

diatribe
May 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM
this is not really a program but I liked the fact that I could make my desktop nice in linux without using windowblinds ;p

b1nary_w01f
May 20th, 2007, 01:44 AM
wow, just about every app and aspect of Linux helped. But i would have to say Wine is what sold me, being able to play my favorite games without rebooting into windows every time made a world of difference for me.

Adamant1988
May 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Hrmm.. I think the application that really locked me into Linux in general was Tom Boy, but now I can't leave because of basKet, and Amarok...

AndyCooll
May 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Can't think of anything specific, however XDMCP has been one of my best Linux discoveries.

:cool:

diskotek
May 20th, 2007, 02:52 AM
coffeetalk was my first favorite app in linux. i installed at my laptop and it's still ovely linux box :)

timpino
May 20th, 2007, 03:40 AM
hmm, my favourite all time linux app is xterm and all the derivatives.

mrgnash
May 20th, 2007, 03:48 AM
I started using BB4Win (Black Box for Windows) and preferred it greatly to XP's hideous mess of a WM, and then decided to go the whole way.

yabbadabbadont
May 20th, 2007, 04:06 AM
The "app" that helped to convert me to Linux was Unix. ;) I had been using, programming for, and supporting Unix systems from 1993 to 1996 when I started using Linux at home. Linux was pretty easy to figure out after having had to support SCO 3.2v4.2 and HPUX. :)

starcraft.man
May 20th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Actually it was a small app or maybe not so small, called Devede. Great program for transcoding movies into standard DVD format and VCD the odd time. I do quite a bit of video conversion and was using Nero for that before (was so excruciating, every time I had to leave my PC alone because it would slow down my entire PC). When I started using Devede, I could get it done in a bit less time and I could keep working, like use GIMP watch a movie, and no slow down!!! Btw, this was all on an old p4 cpu that made me sooooo happy :D.

kragen
May 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I think it was probably rTorrent. It was great to find a torrent app that was extremely lightweight and extremely fast :)

konsole
May 20th, 2007, 05:06 AM
I think it was probably rTorrent. It was great to find a torrent app that was extremely lightweight and extremely fast :)

Agree about rtorrent. It made the bloody Internet useful again.

dspari1
May 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
A small virus that wiped my entire hard drive helped me make the switch.

Morbett
May 20th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Although I only discovered it recently, the torrent client Transmission is my favorite small app.

rjmdomingo2003
September 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
My main worry prior to THE switch is torrent downloading. I was amazed at how rtorrent performed with such minimal (almost negligible) CPU-hog.

Another app that I was glad I discovered was conky. Very powerful yet very simple.

bobbocanfly
September 30th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Probably is would be BASH, Apt and Beryl. Also a LAMP server in 6 minutes (Including downloading and installing time) is brilliance.

happysmileman
September 30th, 2007, 11:42 AM
No small program helped me make the switch, it was just a combination of all the good programs I used, When I used GNOME I could go days without using Windows because GNOME had much better programs than Windows.

But once I switched to KDE I started to go months without using WIndows, Amarok, KDevelop, Kate, Konqueror, K3B, Yakuake aqnd of course Compiz-fusion all helped me switch, as well as the small things like the KGames and the speed increase and better stability