PDA

View Full Version : Which looks better?

maniacmusician
May 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I've been messing around with page sizes for my Switching to Linux book. Since it's going to be distributed mainly in PDF/Website form, I figured that sticking to the standard 8.5x11 size wasn't necessary.

So I came up with the following size; 9.54x8.5.

It's rectangular-ish, but it's not as tall as 8.5x11. It allows for more information to fit horizontally while making the pages look a little shorter.

So, which do you think looks better in PDF format?

8.5x11: http://www.cutlersoftware.com/UnderstandingUbuntu/docs/Switching_to_Linux1+2.pdf

9.54x8.5: http://maniacmusician.googlepages.com/Switching_to_Linux_new.pdf

Please vote now!

edit: If you'd like to contribute a little to this little project by helping me edit the book, please see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=448312

yabbadabbadont
May 19th, 2007, 11:30 PM
If I were just going to view the PDF, I would pick the 9.54x8.5 version. If I were planning on printing the PDF, then I would choose the 8.5x11 since it matches US Letter paper size.

(Both look very nice, by the way. :D)

maniacmusician
May 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
thanks. If you'd like to contribute a little to this little project by helping me edit the book, please see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=448312

psst....you didn't vote

stueyboy
May 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
First one looks the most natural to me on first impressions for no other reason than it feels better. Nice content BTW

maniacmusician
May 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
thank you. That's just Chapter 1 (I wrote most of it in Janueay) Check the 3rd link for chapter 2.

yabbadabbadont
May 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
thanks. If you'd like to contribute a little to this little project by helping me edit the book, please see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=448312

psst....you didn't vote

You added the poll after I had posted... :p :D

Besides, you left off the "Other" option. ;)

Spr0k3t
May 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
For the square aspect ratio setup, I'd definitely go with the 9.54x8.5. However, I've rotated my two 1680x1050 monitors so I can view a complete 8.5x11 without needing to zoom. Awesome for reading, programming, surfing the web... otherwise, 9.54x8.5 would be preferred.

When I have some more time to contribute, I'd be happy to help with the book.

spacegypsy
May 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I prefer 9.54x8.5.

It just fits better.

(nice work maniacmusician)

reacocard
May 20th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I like it, it lets you see more, especially on a wide-aspect monitor. I'd still like to have an 8.5x11 version available though, so I could print it out for people (though the link stuff would have to be altered for that).

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I like it, it lets you see more, especially on a wide-aspect monitor. I'd still like to have an 8.5x11 version available though, so I could print it out for people (though the link stuff would have to be altered for that).
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's an option. It takes a LOT of work to fix the formatting when you change page sizes. When printing, perhaps they could print from the website.

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Almost every one that's posted has said something along the lines of "When printing, 8.5x11".

I've just tried printing it in 9.54x8.5 and it prints fine

It prints landscape instead of portrait, but it looks pretty good! Since no one except for stueyboy has given me any other valid reasons to choose 8.5x11, I'm going to go with 9.54x8.5 for now.

yatt
May 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
The 8.5x11 only because it is what most people use for printer paper.

Weirdly enough, the 9.54x8.5 wouldn't load in my browser.

yatt
May 20th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Almost every one that's posted has said something along the lines of "When printing, 8.5x11".

I've just tried printing it in 9.54x8.5 and it prints fine

It prints landscape instead of portrait, but it looks pretty good! Since no one except for stueyboy has given me any other valid reasons to choose 8.5x11, I'm going to go with 9.54x8.5 for now.

Your pictures don't line up in 9.54x8.5?

diskotek
May 20th, 2007, 02:49 AM
it's not in metric system right?

DoctorMO
May 20th, 2007, 02:50 AM
You should go with A4 since US Letter is a non standard imperial measurement only used by a small fraction of the world. where as A4 is used by the rest of the world as an ISO standard (remember ISO, that standards body?)

Although I'd also recommend English British as the default English since it's the dominant official English spoken in the world. but will anyone listen.

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Your pictures don't line up in 9.54x8.5?
What do you mean? the pages printed out fine. What Adobe Reader did was resize it a little to accommodate the 8.5x11 paper. They don't look stretched at all, and look quite good, just a little big.

it's not in metric system right?
Nope. Inches. Sorry, It's what openoffice displayed by default :) I make no apologies for the blunders of us American folk.

You should go with A4 since US Letter is a non standard imperial measurement only used by a small fraction of the world. where as A4 is used by the rest of the world as an ISO standard (remember ISO, that standards body?)

Although I'd also recommend English British as the default English since it's the dominant official English spoken in the world. but will anyone listen.

sorry, I'm not going to change paper size now...I just changed it all to 9.54x8.5 and it was exhausting. I had to change all the formatting. I think I'm sticking with this one now. 9.4x8.5 prints fine when you print it in landscape mode.

And um, no. No one will listen :D