PDA

View Full Version : How do you climb the stairs?

Mazza558
May 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
This has puzzled me for many years ( minutes) and I decided to create a page to support my views on stairclimbing.

http://2stepsatatime.googlepages.com/home

This is not intended to be serious, but I want to see what the general technique is.

:)

Polygon
May 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
lol i dont really get that graph on that site. What are the numbers on the y axis supposed to represent?

anyway, climbing stairs two at a time is a lot faster, but its a lot more work. If im carrying something heavy (like my backpack) i usually just go one at a time. But if you run up the stairs two at a time, its much easier then just climbing normally two at a time

interesting thread though ;)

Mazza558
May 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
lol i dont really get that graph on that site. What are the numbers on the y axis supposed to represent?

anyway, climbing stairs two at a time is a lot faster, but its a lot more work. If im carrying something heavy (like my backpack) i usually just go one at a time. But if you run up the stairs two at a time, its much easier then just climbing normally two at a time

interesting thread though ;)

It's not supposed to make sense - it's in no way serious :)

Or is it?

Arisna
May 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I climb stairs two at a time, but I descend stairs one at a time. OMG.

Mazza558
May 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I climb stairs two at a time, but I descend stairs one at a time. OMG.

Yeah, I might add a warning to my page:

IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO TRY THIS UPON DESCENDING A STAIRCASE

koenn
May 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
as you climb the stairs, you gain potential energy, the amount of which is equal to the work required to gain height. So the energy expended to climb the stairs is a function of the height and the steepness, not of the fact whether you take 1 or 2 steps at the time.
However, if you take into account the time it takes to climb the stairs, you measure energy (or work) per unit of time (i.e power).Therefore, taking 2 steps at the time should result in climbing the stairs twice as fast, otherwise you're waisting energy and it would make more sense to take your time and go one step at the time.

When carrying a backpack while climbing a steps, it's recommended to carry the backpack on your chest rather than on your back for better balance.

When descending, you can take advantage of gravity to speed up the descent and preserve energy.

yabbadabbadont
May 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I climb them backwards on all fours... slow, awkward, dangerous, but it gives your arms a heck of a workout. :D

loathsome
May 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I don't climb stairs.

I CAN FLY

slimdog360
May 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I generally climb them 2-3 at a time, dependant upon the size of each individual stair. One thing I'm more passionate about though is going down stairs. A few years back when I was on the Gold coast (in Australia) I decided that jumping down the last 4 or so stairs would be a good idea. Turns out I was wrong, what I failed to notice was a relatively low lying structural concrete support beam holding up the roof.

When I made the jump I had looked up to see that my head was aimed right for it, there was nothing I could do. I can't remember much more after that until I woke up lying on the floor with a bit of a head ache.

rolando2424
May 20th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I climb THREE stairs at a time (yup, big legs :D)

But it also depends on the stairs, for example, if the stairs are too big, I might only climb two stairs at a time.

chickengirl
May 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I'm too short to take stairs two at a time.

But I run. :p

iAlta
May 20th, 2007, 01:44 AM
I switch between one and two steps... then I even out the odds of going fast. Whichever one is faster, I have a 50% of doing it.

I generally climb them 2-3 at a time, dependant upon the size of each individual stair. One thing I'm more passionate about though is going down stairs. A few years back when I was on the Gold coast (in Australia) I decided that jumping down the last 4 or so stairs would be a good idea. Turns out I was wrong, what I failed to notice was a relatively low lying structural concrete support beam holding up the roof.

When I made the jump I had looked up to see that my head was aimed right for it, there was nothing I could do. I can't remember much more after that until I woke up lying on the floor with a bit of a head ache.
genuine LOL

b1nary_w01f
May 20th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I climb the steps one at a time, but i also run up steps so its just as fast. I also run (some times jump) down them. I can be a little hyper...

diskotek
May 20th, 2007, 02:51 AM
i'm living in an building, ayt 5th floor. if i'm sober and there is nice things waiting at home: i climb by 2...

but if i'm drunk and tired enough and just trouble is waiting at home.. i climb the stairs by 1 or half, or i fall down from stairs :D

coder_
May 20th, 2007, 02:52 AM
This reminds me of that "How do you wipe your butt?" page I found on digg a while ago :P Here's the link. (http://www.randomsalad.com/go/how-to-wipe-your-***/)

Both of these are surprisingly interesting reads. :P

Edit: Apparently Ubuntu Forums blocked the synonym that Random Salad used for "butt," so the link is invalid :\
So, just click on the link, and replace the *** in the url with... uhh... a 3 letter long synonym for butt! ;) Or just click this link (http://tinyurl.com/ywy9rm) from TinyURL!

slimdog360
May 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
This reminds me of that "How do you wipe your butt?" page I found on digg a while ago :P Here's the link. (http://www.randomsalad.com/go/how-to-wipe-your-***/)

Both of these are surprisingly interesting reads. :P

Edit: Apparently Ubuntu Forums blocked the synonym that Random Salad used for "butt," so the link is invalid :\
So, just click on the link, and replace the *** in the url with... uhh... a 3 letter long synonym for butt! ;) Or just click this link (http://tinyurl.com/ywy9rm) from TinyURL!

Here is a nice discussion, I couldn't stop laughing.
http://joshuaink2006.johnoxton.co.uk/blog/559/you-wipe-which-way