PDA

View Full Version : Good hardware for Ubuntu Studio Graphics option

keithpeter
May 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hello All

I currently run Xubuntu Feisty on an old P4 IBM Netvista box, and it jogs along quite nicely and does Web, e-mail, and basic handout/document production very well. The 16Mb Nvidia graphics card is a little stressed at times.

I'd like to buy a new desktop computer soon along with a nice large lcd panel (I'm looking at Formac or EIZO displays), and I'm getting into digital photography. I do _basic_ audio (podcasting and oral history - logging and editing mono voice mainly, no fancy mixing or multitrack). I'm interested in Ubuntu Studio with the Graphics option. I'm based in the UK and so I am in the fortunate position of being able to source most things.

Any suggestions for hardware? Specifically the following...

Processor/motherboard
Graphics card to drive a 24 inch lcd panel well (I don't do eye candy or games, I do photo editing, I use Digikam)
35mm film scanners that work well with Ubuntu Studio (I have a couple of filing cabinets full of transparencies and colour negatives - I know that monochrome negatives do not always scan well - especially tri-x in rodinol - so I usually scan b/w prints)
Flatbed scanners that work with Studio
Good A3 format colour printer
Recognition of USB microphone (Marshal MXL 600 USB)