PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu

kevinrs
May 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Just to say Hi. I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my Athlon pc today. I had previously tried Freespire 1.0. The only problem was getting new updates of software to work with it.

So I installed 7.04. It installed quickly and without any problems. I had an issue with the sound not always working. However I got the answer off the forum searching posts.

As of now this is my desktop to go. I will at some point take XP off my system. I don't play games and I can do everything else with open source software. I look forward to using Ubuntu for a long time to come.

maniacmusician
May 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Just to say Hi. I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on my Athlon pc today. I had previously tried Freespire 1.0. The only problem was getting new updates of software to work with it.

So I installed 7.04. It installed quickly and without any problems. I had an issue with the sound not always working. However I got the answer off the forum searching posts.

As of now this is my desktop to go. I will at some point take XP off my system. I don't play games and I can do everything else with open source software. I look forward to using Ubuntu for a long time to come.
congrats on the flawless install and welcome.

juxtaposed
May 19th, 2007, 07:47 PM
That's great, you're all set :)

starcraft.man
May 19th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hey there, have fun with Ubuntu and feel free to do anything you want to it, theres nobody gonna tell ya what ya can't do :).

Oh and for starter reading material, have a read through Ubuntuguide.org, (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty) its got lots of good info :).

Lucifiel
May 19th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome!!! :D

And have a good time. ;)

kevinrs
May 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I did have a few issues for example. Getting beryl to work. However I found the answers in documents on the ubuntu site. Also making Firestarter start at bootup. Again I read the documents on line. Thanks to all who put this information together. It made my job as a newbie so much easier to get ubuntu working as I wanted.:popcorn:

I just need to stop fiddling with the installation and get on with using it.

hsahai
February 4th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Hi! every body. I am absolutety new to ubuntu. One of my friend gave me Uduntu CD (Down loaded from Internet) before. I did install it on my desktop along with Window XP. So I had dual boot system. I was able to run both OS on the desk top. But Ubuntu was not not able to recognize network card, usb port, printers etc. I thought may be ubuntu software may be missing some files. Now I have downloaded ubuntu myself on my second Hard drive. I have 2- hard drives. But I did not open the downloaded file to install on the desk top. When I clicked the the downloaded ubuntufiles Icon. Popup window reads- " window needs to know which program created the file". My Questions are -

1- Is it ok to burn this ubuntu downloaded files. And install ubuntu from the burned CD?

2- How to install ubuntu downloaded from my second Hard drive? At this time I have only Window XP Professional with SP-2.

I am very good for Window XP but I have very scanty knowladge about Ubuntu. I am still gathering knowladge about Ubuntu from Internet. Does any of you have basic information for completely new guy like me.
I mean something like Ubuntu for idiots. Any help is appreciated.
I am in NOV- Gainesville.

Sahai

bufsabre666
February 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hi! every body. I am absolutety new to ubuntu. One of my friend gave me Uduntu CD (Down loaded from Internet) before. I did install it on my desktop along with Window XP. So I had dual boot system. I was able to run both OS on the desk top. But Ubuntu was not not able to recognize network card, usb port, printers etc. I thought may be ubuntu software may be missing some files. Now I have downloaded ubuntu myself on my second Hard drive. I have 2- hard drives. But I did not open the downloaded file to install on the desk top. When I clicked the the downloaded ubuntufiles Icon. Popup window reads- " window needs to know which program created the file". My Questions are -

1- Is it ok to burn this ubuntu downloaded files. And install ubuntu from the burned CD?

2- How to install ubuntu downloaded from my second Hard drive? At this time I have only Window XP Professional with SP-2.

I am very good for Window XP but I have very scanty knowladge about Ubuntu. I am still gathering knowladge about Ubuntu from Internet. Does any of you have basic information for completely new guy like me.
I mean something like Ubuntu for idiots. Any help is appreciated.
I am in NOV- Gainesville.

Sahai

the file should be an iso and you burn it and boot from disc and then install it to the harddrive or partition that you want to put it on, i think there is an idoits guide to ubuntu, or ubuntu for dummies, i know theres an ubuntu biblee, but for most problems just search these forums and almost all problems should then become solvible

Incense
February 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
the file should be an iso and you burn it and boot from disc and then install it to the harddrive or partition that you want to put it on, i think there is an idoits guide to ubuntu, or ubuntu for dummies, i know theres an ubuntu biblee, but for most problems just search these forums and almost all problems should then become solvible

That would be on this page...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto