PDA

View Full Version : Whats Wrong With Ubuntu

tobyadams
May 19th, 2007, 03:20 PM
If all of the following were fixed i would have no problems with ubuntu at all.

1. Network Manager asks for keyring password for WEP key at login.
2. Samba passwords have to be entered via the terminal, and this is not stated in the create shared folder dilogue box.
3. OpenOffice doesnt detect grammar.
4. Restart does not actualy restart the computer
5. GRUB has no graphical applet
6. The Wi-Fi signal lies about how strong it is
7. The audio profiles mess around when you try and edit them.

Lucifiel
May 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Erm... OpenOffice is a separate set of applications. It's included in Ubuntu, but not developed by Canonical.

Jhongy
May 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
#4 & #5 are certainly not true -- and I'm sure a bunch of the others can be fixed, too.

Instead of hanging around here b*itching about the problems, go hunting for solutions in the forum. No solution? Post a thread... Others that have the same problem will jump in, and the solution will help everyone.

Help yourself, help others to find problems. Then, if it is definitely a problem, file a bug report and propose an idea for the next release and help us all improve the software.

salsafyren
May 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
1) I agree. It has already been reported
2) I agree. It has already been reported
3) Is openoffice working on this?
4) Don't understand what you mean here? If you mean the bugs that exist because of upstart (in shutdown, reboot etc), I totally agree. The bugs are know, but not fixed (embarrassing for Ubuntu)
5) I agree
6) I don't have this problem, but I think there are a lot of bugs in the wireless department. Have you reported it?
7) What do you mean? Have you reported this bug?

Tomosaur
May 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Sig. Link. Check.

icechen1
May 19th, 2007, 03:53 PM

2. Samba passwords have to be entered via the terminal, and this is not stated in the create shared folder dilogue box.

For 1 i have fixed this problem(i have that before),try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192281&highlight=keyring

screaminj3sus
May 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Can definately confirm # 7, when you try to edit the mp3 encoding settings it just freezes.

Somenoob
May 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM

1. Not here.
2. Samba is not Ubuntu
3. OpenOffice is not Ubuntu
4. Yes it does(in most cases) I guess if more hardware manufactures would give out specifications it would not be a problem.
5. And? if you dual boot you use GRUB only for choice for like 3-4 seconds. A GUI for that is unnecessary anyway.
6. Inaccuracy is not a lie, and so does the one in Microsoft windows.
7. Could you be a bit more specific?

mech7
May 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
yeah those are some annoying bugs :(

Adamant1988
May 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Ubuntu as an operating system suffers from one major problem that Windows suffers from. It doesn't have a home. Ubuntu isn't designed to work with X-company's hardware, it's designed for a processor. Ubuntu would be ridiculously more stable/fast/powerful as an operating system if it were to start striking deals with OEMs to get customized drivers for the hardware and everything was selected to 'just work' out of the box. Just like what Apple does with their macs.

However, the major issue with Ubuntu, and even Linux in general is application availability and quality. There are instances where open source applications are best of breed, but those are far and few in between where desktop users are concerned. I'm certainly hoping that a group will arise that is more interested in creating more innovative and high-quality applications for Linux distributions in general.