PDA

View Full Version : I want to build a pc, need help thread

Gargamella
May 18th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Hi, I have a Lenovo laptop running Feisty Fawn, but I really would like to build myself a media center or a tower pc for that purpose (making a media center), I managed a bit of hardware but I never managed a motherboard and a empty case.

(I like very much small cases, but I am scared of not be able to manage them)

Since I often see similar threads, I wanna know how you would make it, collect your "how-to"s and then to post the best on my site (soon online).So write a lot of info ;D (If you agree obviously)

Tech specs:Never Mind, it is more important the building process, I will choose then the hardware specifications

(You can also link existing howtos and also ubuntu-media center now available to buy)

hardyn
May 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
its pretty easy if you can reasonably wield a screw driver...

things you might want to get:
-a ESD bracelet, then you know your not going to cause ESD damage to any components.
-a variety of high quality screw drivers THERE ARE DIFFERENT SIZED PHILLIPS SCREW HEADS, that require different sized screw drivers, this is the most common cause of rounded screw heads.

hardware selection:
define your project, decide what it is that you need.
-use the hardware guides, do not take anybodies word for it, do you own homework... just cuz it works for windows does not mean its going to work well in linux.
-do not let retailers tell you "its the same thing, just newer" its probably different.
**keep in mind, it may be cheaper to have a shop do the assembly, and almost always gets you a better warranty**

assembly:
-go SLOW... stay cool... you have all the time in world to assemble the thing, its not worth rushing and damaging component. processors have about 1000 hair like pins now, these damage very easily.
all the connectors are "keyed" now, if something does not go easily... STOP, inspect, something like likely not right
-there are different screw pitches used in computers, pay attention to this, if you have to use effort to install a screw... STOP something is wrong!
-do not use a powered screw driver, you have no torque feel with these devices... use good old manual screw drivers.
-read all the instructions, don't assume.

building computers is fun... take your time, its not a race.

leg
May 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
You said you were interested in a small box have a look at mini itx (http://www.mini-itx.com/) form factor stuff and see if it interests you. If you feel like a challenge also look at MythTv (http://www.mythtv.org/) where you will get good advice on hardware. As the previous post said take your time and you will be fine.

djchandler
May 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hi, I have a Lenovo laptop running Feisty Fawn, but I really would like to build myself a media center or a tower pc for that purpose (making a media center), I managed a bit of hardware but I never managed a motherboard and a empty case.

(I like very much small cases, but I am scared of not be able to manage them)

Since I often see similar threads, I wanna know how you would make it, collect your "how-to"s and then to post the best on my site (soon online).So write a lot of info ;D (If you agree obviously)

Tech specs:Never Mind, it is more important the building process, I will choose then the hardware specifications

(You can also link existing howtos and also ubuntu-media center now available to buy)
I like to avoid screwdrivers and nutdrivers that are magnetized. I suggest buying a special computer toolkit from someplace like geeks.com or newegg.com that has every possible screwdriver and hex nut driver you'll need, plus a few other things that may be useful. The kit should also include an esd bracelet. I like having a set of needle-nosed tweezers too. The tweezers make it a lot easier if you need to adjust jumper shunts on your hard drive, cd/dvd drive, or motherboard. I personally prefer using nutdrivers over screwdrivers. The screwdrivers, because they're made from alloy that cannot be magnetized, are usually softer than general purpose hardware. You not only can strip the heads on the screws, but can also round off the edges on your screwdrivers very easily. Use a nutdriver whenever possible. It is also easier to hold the hex headed screw in place on the end of the nut driver when trying to get into tight spaces.

Working on a sheet of aluminum foil can also equalize esd potential and perform a similar function to wearing an esd bracelet, but you need to remove the foil before applying electricity from your power supply to components on your workbench. I've assembled and retrofitted enough computers to know this works. Working on a concrete floor is good, and grounding yourself by touching copper water pipes is good idea too. My workbench is in my basement, with a bare concrete floor. I avoid standing on a carpeted surface while assembling electrical components.

I have a good friend who has been building computers since the original altair kits went on sale 32 years ago. He likes to assemble the ram, cpu, cpu heatsink/fan, and all cards (video, sound, nic, etc.) to be used onto the motherboard while still laying flat on the workbench, This keeps the motherboard from flexing too much while putting your components in place. Sometimes things are a very tight fit. It is good to know that in advance. And you can leave the memory and cpu in place while mounting the motherboard in the case. Over flexing the motherboard could break circuit tracings on it. I learned that the hard way when I broke tracings to memory banks on an old 486 motherboard 15 years ago trying to upgrade a video card while in the case. I am a little clumsy, but in my defense it was a very tight fit. After all components are in place (minimum components: cpu and heatsink/fan, memory, video) he places the motherboard flat on a non-conductive surface, connects power to the motherboard, connects a monitor, and connects a bootable device with some type of bootable system installed on it, and powers up. I would advise also connecting the hard drive too, even if it is not formatted. Go into the bios and set it for the preferred boot device (cd/dvd drive), set hard drive detection to auto detect. After setting the bios to boot from cd/dvd, you should be able to boot the Ubuntu install CD, and make sure the hard drive is found on boot. If there is no smoke, (99.999% of the time there is not) and you get a successful boot, you can then disassemble and mount everything into the case. I do not advise installing the operating system onto the hard drive until the entire assembly process is completed Do not buy a cheap case and power supply. Go for high quality. A poorly made case can make your work a lot more difficult than necessary.

If you decide to get the mini-ATX, they come with at least ethernet, sound and video on the motherboard, and some have a cpu already soldered in place.

Good luck!

Gargamella
May 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
You said you were interested in a small box have a look at mini itx (http://www.mini-itx.com/) form factor stuff and see if it interests you. If you feel like a challenge also look at MythTv (http://www.mythtv.org/) where you will get good advice on hardware. As the previous post said take your time and you will be fine.

I would like to make a little media center as that on the link you passed me ;D
and I assume I need a mobo like that.
VEEEEEry nice.
Anyway I will read something like "mounting hardware for dummies" to be sure

;D