PDA

View Full Version : what do you call the cable in the pictures?

hanzj
May 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I want to listen to iPod in the pre-installed audio system of 2007 Chevrolet avalanche. What kind of cable should i buy from an electronics store ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avalanche-Suburban-IPOD-Aux-Auxiliary-Input-Car-Cable_W0QQitemZ200109778630QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3863 6QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Avalanche-Suburban-IPOD-Aux-Auxiliary-Input-Car-Cable_W0QQitemZ200109778630QQihZ010QQcategoryZ3863 6QQcmdZViewItem) <-- I found that page with pictures. But what should i tell the salesman I'm looking for? What is the generic name of the cable?

steven8
May 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Tell them what kind of vehicle you have, and you need an Auxiliary Input Cable to listen to your iPod. Odds are they'll know what to give you.

hanzj
May 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM
A) Is that the full name of the cable: Auxiliary Input Cable?
B) The tips of both ends should be alike, yes?
C) What's the importance of telling the salesperson of the vehicle's make? Are you implying that there are more than one type of Auxiliary Input Cables?

Thank you!!!

steven8
May 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM
A) Is that the full name of the cable: Auxiliary Input Cable?
B) The tips of both ends should be alike, yes?
C) What's the importance of telling the salesperson of the vehicle's make? Are you implying that there are more than one type of Auxiliary Input Cables?

Thank you!!!

I have no idea if the vehicle make would make a difference. It appears from the photo in your link that both ends are male and identical in shape and diameter.

It might be wise to print off that page and show it to the salesman.

jackmc
May 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Looks like a male to male 2.5mm plug, but I'm not sure.

Just say you want a cable with the headphone connector on each end. if he asks what size (normally 2.5 or 3.5 mm), its the small one.

ebay is probably the cheapest place to get it.

hanzj
May 18th, 2007, 06:40 AM
On that ebay link, it says:
As long as there is a 3.5mm hole says "Aux" on the face plate or at somewhere. This cable will work.

Does this mean that the cable's plugs are also 3.5mm?

jariku
May 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Does this mean that the cable's plugs are also 3.5mm?
Yes.

Spr0k3t
May 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
If you are wanting to listen to an iPOD through an OEM system, you would need to make sure the stereo first supports "Aux In". If it does, then you can get a standard kit for the GM model of that year. Check with the dealership first to see if the part exists. Also, if you could have purchased the car with an optional iPOD interface, more than likely the part is already available through the dealership and made to look OEM.

Other options you have are FM modulation... I don't recommend this route as the FCC has put a limit on how strong the signal is.

I would recommend going aftermarket din unit, but you have a GM... which means you can't remove the stereo thanks to the wonderful airbag module built into the OEM stereo. This is the very reason why I won't purchase any GM cars after 2003.