PDA

View Full Version : "Works on ubuntu" seal

pgilmon
May 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm about to buy an USB Bluetooth adapter and I want to make sure it will work in Ubuntu in advance. I've thought that a seal such as "Works on Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu certified" would make things much easier for people like me.

There are lots of hardware devices (USB drives, wi-fi dongles, pendrives, etc.) that work out-of-the-box (not even driver installation needed). However, you couldn't tell from their boxes that installation is going to be so easy. Why not showing it clearly so that people can buy them without having to check previously on the Internet?

Thanks for your time and bye!

Iarwain ben-adar
May 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Such a label would be a good idea, but why Ubuntu? Can't it be Linux in general? (the requirements written beneath it then)

e.g. kernel version 2.6.15, Xorg 7.1, ... 'or better'

I do not like the direction this is heading, keeping all good things 'just' for Ubuntu. If it were able to ask such a lable, make it more universal then just 'Works with Ubuntu'..

Iarwain

sloggerkhan
May 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I think works with linux, or works with Ubuntu would be fine (seeing as Red Hat and Suse already use similar lables and marketing strategies to help create mental exclusions for other distros). If you start puting stuff like specific kernels and xorg versions on a sticker it will only help turn off to linux people who see it.

Iarwain ben-adar
May 18th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Well,

The problem lies in the fact that none of those Linux distro's, even Ubuntu, has enough name to get that distro-seal a reality (i know i'm gonna get flamed, but i need to say it).

If all worked together to acquire a 'Works with Linux' seal, it could be achieved more easily then when every distro just wants his own name sticking on a box.

The specific (or minimum) kernels and Xorg versions are needed, because 'Linux = freedom of choice'.
Not everyone is using the latest (Ubuntu-) kernel or this or that program version (think python or somethings like those).

For example, a simple network card: no need to put on specific kernels or things like that, because most (that i am able to buy: Realtek for example) work with (almost) every kernel or what-not.
Other products, like card readers or things like those, need to have those things on the box (what's the use of a seal otherwise?)

And as far as the turn-off goes, people using Linux aren't scared of seeing what they have under their hood. If you want to open up your pc, and fiddle with it on your own, you should know what stuff you are running.

(just my thoughts on this matter, i do not mean to hijack this thread or go completely off-topic)

Iarwain

sloggerkhan
May 18th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think such stuff would be the sort of thing that goes on the bottom of the box allong with things like video card requirements. The only way sticker thing can communicate stuff is if xorg and kernel and whatever else you need are different stickers. There'd be a lot of stickers really fast.

Polygon
May 18th, 2007, 01:22 AM
if there is a "seal of approval" i think it should be linux in general (with a minimum kernel version) instead of any one distro.

Iarwain ben-adar
May 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I think such stuff would be the sort of thing that goes on the bottom of the box allong with things like video card requirements. The only way sticker thing can communicate stuff is if xorg and kernel and whatever else you need are different stickers. There'd be a lot of stickers really fast.

That is what i meant actually :oops:
On the front of the box you'd have Tux sitting (the logo? :D) and below you'd have the other stuff.

Iarwain

pgilmon
May 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I acknowldge that it would be better to say that it works in Linux, but I also think that that Linux is too generic, and very few devices would have the seal then.

The reason to put just Ubuntu is not to exclude other distros, it's just that you can test it in Ubuntu and be sure that it works. However, you cannot test it in every single Linux distribution to be sure that it works in Linux in general. We all know that, even if it works with a certain kernel, some distros might have specific configurations that prevent it from working right away (blacklists, modules loaded on boot and so on).

It would be great to be able to say that it works in Linux, but I think that would be too problematic and eventually the idea would drop. We must take into account that the manufacturers have to agree to this, we must make it easy for them. Otherwise, they won't do it.

Bye! ;)

Jhongy
May 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I've suggested this on Mark Shuttleworth's blog (it must've been suggested a million times before).

It's essential to have a hardware logo system -- of course, for Linux in general, not just for Ubuntu! Imagine how many customers would be turned away from FOSS if there were a bunch of logos for different distros!

But let's not over-egg it and scare off the hardware mfrs or users -- KEEP IT SIMPLE!

What we need is a committe that would allow a manufacturer to place a standard Tux logo on the packaging of any products for which drivers are available in the Kernel. The logo could be standard, with "Linux compatible! - for more details, visit www.xxx.org". The manufacturers could provide specific requirements if they wanted, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

The website could then contain details of the minimum software requirements for running the hardware.

Tux.Ice
January 2nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
im gunna create one

BreathEasy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:21 AM
Aye, it's a problem.

The only thing you can do is to make absolutely sure you can return the product and get a refund in case it doesn't work in Linux.

some_random_noob
January 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
The only thing you can do is to make absolutely sure you can return the product and get a refund in case it doesn't work in Linux.

But how many average sales-folk actually know what Linux is? I think your best bet is to look online and see what luck other people have had.

BreathEasy
January 2nd, 2008, 01:48 AM
But how many average sales-folk actually know what Linux is? I think your best bet is to look online and see what luck other people have had.
Looking online (ie. doing research first) is always the best idea, but if it's a product with little information, or you see a product that looks interesting in the store and don't have the ability to do searches nearby, then it can be handy to know you can return it if it's incompatible.

Also, who says you need to tell the sales folk that it doesn't work on Linux? Just say "the product is incompatible with my computer". You don't need to be more specific than this to get a refund normally.

perbiu
January 2nd, 2008, 03:03 AM
I saw a Logitech Teddy Bear webcam that has a "Linux Support" logo along with Windows and Vista logos in a local mall. Its a good start.

perbiu
January 2nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Oops here it is. Its "Genius Look 312P" brand and a Dog by the way.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1749/linuxsupport2kf1.jpg

mmb1
January 2nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
I just bought a flash drive that was linux compatible. On the label, it had a window, the finder, and an image of tux. Why not expand this and just use tux?

jobsonandrew
January 2nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
best bluetooth adapter ive seen is a D-Link DBT120 (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34)

Works with Feisty and Gutsy no problem, in gutsy i had my sony ericsson w810i working as a remote control within 2 mins

oh it also works with windows XP and Vista as well without the need to install a driver

Techwiz
January 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I just bought a flash drive that was Linux compatible. On the label, it had a window, the finder, and an image of tux. Why not expand this and just use tux?
I agree. In stead of just being "Ubuntu compatible" why not just be "Linux compatible" or "Linux supported? And for the sticker, a picture of tux with "Linux compatible and/or supported" under it?