PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician

_simon_
May 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I am thinking about taking the Microsoft Certified Desktop Technicians course, however I believe the course comes on CD and it says I would need: XP Pro + IE6.

What I need to know is, will I be able to run what I need to in Linux, under WINE?

Does anyone know?

starcraft.man
May 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Ummm, this may sound like a nooby question but what is the "Microsoft Certified Desktop Technicians" course? I mean what is it a collection of vids they send you on a disk to learn XP? If thats it, I don't see why it would specifically need XP Pro or worse yet... IE6 *shudders in fear of the crappy program*. What is this course going to get you?

Not to mention, a good portion of important things I learned about XP were never documented on any MS source, in fact there are tonnes of features that MS simply doesn't want to tell people about.

_simon_
May 17th, 2007, 07:31 PM
It's a recognised qualification (MCDST). I don't know exactly what's on the CD, from what I understand it's CD / Text Book / hands on based.

Aimed at Computer Technicians and IT Support Professionals, the MCDST certification has become recognised worldwide in the IT industry since its first appearance in 2003. It validates a foundation level of ability to set up, maintain and support PCs and LANs in a Microsoft Windows Environment.

The Computeach MCDST course will teach you how to set up, troubleshoot and support PCs and local area networks running the Microsoft XP operating system and to install, configure and troubleshoot Microsoft producitity applications.

I've made an enquiry with CompuTeach as they offer the course, hopefully they can tell me what's on the CD.

ixus_123
May 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM
it could need DRM / activex stuff - I'm not sure of you'll be able to use it under wine.

This is the case with CBT nuggets streaming training videos that I have - I had to install XP inside VMware to access them :(

_simon_
May 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I hadn't thought of going down the VMware route, I guess that's one option :)

ixus_123
May 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
it works good for me - I did have a dual boot with XP but VMware lets me run all my linux apps & happily load up XP in a window so I can access all the poisened CBT stuff & also use Polar Protrainer software.

I have it set to use 192mb of ram & it runs great. There's a good tutorial somewhere in the forums of you get stuck