PDA

View Full Version : noob questions

silent1643
May 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
what program should a beginner start out with?

my goal is to maybe develop small linux programs that are not to complicated at first.
i know mostly html, and a little php & actionscript so i haven't really looked into anything else until i installed ubuntu.

Is there a program with a built in guide of sorts? Examples, Tutorials, and maybe some kind of formula menu or list of common statements that i could use? Sorta like when using "script assist", or using the clickable code to create simple and sometimes complicated statments in flash action scripting...

clash
May 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
My advice, find a good C++ tutorial online. They shouldn't be hard to find.

Start coding small programs with a text editor like gedit and learn about GCC, make and makefiles eventually.

Don't start with an IDE

Or perhaps if u must start with a simplistic IDE like BlueJ and start on Java.

Stay away from languages like basic like they are the plaque.

LaRoza
May 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
This is one of the best online tutorials I've seen (it's for C++)

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

silent1643
May 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
great, thanks! =D>

that c++ tut looks like something i could start with.. how can i see my results or test my code?

samjh
May 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM
First, open up terminal and type:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials
That will install the basic packages that will allow you to compile C and C++ source code, and create Debian packages.

Next, use editors (Ubuntu comes with gedit, which should be enough) to type the source code. For C++, I recommend using .cpp or .cc as the file extension. Save the code, for example: helloworld.cpp

Then open up terminal, and change the directory to the same place your source code file is placed.

Then to compile helloworld.cpp:

g++ -o helloworld helloworld.cpp
g++ is the compiler for C++.
-o helloworld means to output the compiled binary to a file called helloworld.
helloworld.cpp is the source code file.

Then to run helloworld:

./helloworld

Have fun! :)

silent1643
May 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
awesome thanks

WW
May 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
WW whispers: build-essential (no "s" at the end)

silent1643
May 17th, 2007, 07:38 PM
WW whispers: build-essential (no "s" at the end)

word :guitar:

pmasiar
May 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
what program should a beginner start out with?

Beginner? Self-learner without a teacher and tutor on your side? Definite *do not* start with C++, it is direct way to frustration. Start with something much simpler, like Python, which does not force objects on you from day one, has simple syntax, typing, and is much more intuitive. When ready, go for "hard" languages like C++, Java, C# or whatever.

Check other posts of people whose advice you want to follow, to get an idea what is their background and assumptions. What is good for experienced programmer, mich not be good for beginner.

Or go for C++, but don't say I did not warned you. :twisted:

darkworld
May 17th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Beginner? Self-learner without a teacher and tutor on your side? Definite *do not* start with C++, it is direct way to frustration. Start with something much simpler, like Python, which does not force objects on you from day one, has simple syntax, typing, and is much more intuitive. When ready, go for "hard" languages like C++, Java, C# or whatever.

Check other posts of people whose advice you want to follow, to get an idea what is their background and assumptions. What is good for experienced programmer, mich not be good for beginner.

Or go for C++, but don't say I did not warned you. :twisted:

Hey I just read virtually the exact piece of advice in a magazine - Python good to start with.

Judo
May 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I would also recommend Python for a beginner. It's one of the easiest to learn and it seems to be the only language I use nowadays. However, it definitely has limits. You should keep C++ in mind for later.

silent1643
May 18th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Hey I just read virtually the exact piece of advice in a magazine - Python good to start with.

hmm... well hat are the basic steps to using python? i have visited python.org and it says that most linux distros have python installed, does ubuntu? (i assume so since the command python takes me into some kind of termnial)are the compilers already installed? what are the steps from code to program?

kknd
May 18th, 2007, 02:21 AM
hmm... well hat are the basic steps to using python? i have visited python.org and it says that most linux distros have python installed, does ubuntu? (i assume so since the command python takes me into some kind of termnial)are the compilers already installed? what are the steps from code to program?

Python is automaticaly bitecode compiled, and run in a "vritual machine", like Java.

All python code are run with the "pythonc ommand".

Ex.: python myscript.py

Judo
May 18th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Python is installed, but IDLE, it's default editor is not. I mention IDLE because that's what I use, but there are other editors (or IDE, if you prefer) available.

Python is interpreted, at least, I would say so. If I understand this correctly, it's compiled into machine code when you execute it or as needed. In some cases, I don't get error messages until I try to run a certain part of a program, which makes me think that not all parts are read as you execute the program.

To run a Python program (with a .py extension or others) you type something like "python program.py" and it will be exectued. If you have the program open in IDLE, you can press F5 and it will be executed.

I don't have any tutorials to recommend. Sorry. I learnt it by reading examples. It's not the fastest way, but it pays off in the end.

silent1643
May 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Python is installed, but IDLE, it's default editor is not. I mention IDLE because that's what I use, but there are other editors (or IDE, if you prefer) available.

Python is interpreted, at least, I would say so. If I understand this correctly, it's compiled into machine code when you execute it or as needed. In some cases, I don't get error messages until I try to run a certain part of a program, which makes me think that not all parts are read as you execute the program.

To run a Python program (with a .py extension or others) you type something like "python program.py" and it will be exectued. If you have the program open in IDLE, you can press F5 and it will be executed.

I don't have any tutorials to recommend. Sorry. I learnt it by reading examples. It's not the fastest way, but it pays off in the end.

hmm.. i thought java was complied the same way c++ was, text to compiler?

I guess there are no editors that will highlight errors in the code before it is compiled?

silent1643
May 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM
nevermind i found a great tut on python here (http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Basics)

DarthWHO
May 18th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Another good Pythod site for beginners: http://diveintopython.org/

Just started with this (seems to me I saw this recommended somewhere else on the board). Going good so far...

FuriousLettuce
May 18th, 2007, 06:25 PM
As an aside, diveintopython is included in the default ubuntu installation - point firefox to file:///usr/share/doc/diveintopython/html/index.html , and the examples can be found in the terminal by doing

cd /usr/share/doc/diveintopython/examples