PDA

View Full Version : One thing that windows almost got rite..

allforcarrie
June 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Add/remove programs. I like the add remove programs menu better than Linux's package systems.

sapo
June 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Add/remove programs. I like the add remove programs menu better than Linux's package systems.

www.autopackage.org

btw.. i think that linux will always have their packages.. and the dependencies..

i just hope that all the distros someday decide to use just ONE kind of package...

Kvark
June 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Funny, I think installing and uninstalling is the one thing next after security that windows got all wrong. Perhaps this could be an interesting discussion. I'll try to explain why I don't like the way windows handles it...

Install with windows:
1. go to the store to get the program, then go home again, or search for and download the program from slow filesharing networks.
2. run the installer, hit forward a lot of times, choose various configuration options, CD key, where you want it etc.
3. if you downloaded the program, apply crack.
4. restart computer

Uninstalling with windows:
1. Run the uninstaller, press forward a couple times and answer a few questions.
2. Manually remove things the uninstaller missed, like the now almost empty program directory.

-vs-

Install with ubuntu:
1. go to synaptic and put a checkbox for the program.

Uninstall with ubuntu:
1. go to synaptic and remove the checkbox for the program.

aysiu
June 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Uninstalling with windows:
1. Run the uninstaller, press forward a couple times and answer a few questions.
2. Manually remove things the uninstaller missed, like the now almost empty program directory.

You forgot that sometimes you'll have to reboot after the uninstall as well.

Install with ubuntu:
1. go to synaptic and put a checkbox for the program.

Uninstall with ubuntu:
1. go to synaptic and remove the checkbox for the program.

Don't forget the reload and apply buttons. You also have to search for the package.

Ultimately, though, yeah... Synaptic is much easier most of the time.

By the way, in Ubuntu, there is an "add/remove programs" feature built into the panel menus.

codejunkie
June 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
i agree and this is just my opinion so first let me say that linux is great and choice is what make's it great, and it is the only os i use so im not a linux basher, but i think that installing software is the one thing that is holding linux back from becoming a major Desktop os threat to osx and microsoft. im not saying we rewrite linux to be just like osx or microsoft. but if we could just eliminate the software installation confusion by having all distros incorparate some sort of universal installer system so that whatever distro you use be it redhat, ubuntu, suse, slackware. or whatever. software can be installed easily without breakage or dependency issues between distros. again im not saying completely rewrite linux keep the distro's package installation method of choice RPM, .deb, tar.gz or whatever, but at least have a unified installer for all packages for people that don't like to compile apps or gets confused by the command line. and right now with the long wait for longhorn and mac's transistion to the intel platform if a linux distro included something like this Linux could takeover the desktop os market on the pc platform but thats just my two cents.

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM
i agree and this is just my opinion so first let me say that linux is great and choice is what make's it great, and it is the only os i use so im not a linux basher, but i think that installing software is the one thing that is holding linux back from becoming a major Desktop os threat to osx and microsoft. im not saying we rewrite linux to be just like osx or microsoft. but if we could just eliminate the software installation confusion by having all distros incorparate some sort of universal installer system so that whatever distro you use be it redhat, ubuntu, suse, slackware. or whatever. software can be installed easily without breakage or dependency issues between distros.

You want this:

http://www.autopackage.org/

It would be hard to get everyone to agree on it though.

allforcarrie
June 27th, 2005, 12:45 PM
You want this:

http://www.autopackage.org/flash-demo-install.html I think this is exactly what i have been looking for!!

N'Jal
June 27th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Who reccomends autopackage, im tempted but is there anything i should watch out for?

weekend warrior
June 27th, 2005, 09:26 PM
*hijacks thread for a moment*

You know that autopackage demo is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of for the ubuntu commercial that was talked about a while ago. Imagine this format, set to music, but showing off all the features of the ubuntu desktop.

http://www.autopackage.org/flash-demo-install.html

*frees thread* :wink:

Kvark
June 27th, 2005, 09:37 PM
huh? what is these dependancy issues you all talk about?

I've been using linux for half a year, tried a lot of programs, and never seen any of those problems...

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
is there anything i should watch out for?

A. its not officially supported

B. its still new and quite beta

skoal
June 27th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I wish I could agree with you. Truly, I do. However, who hasn't used windows and had to manually purge some registry key to clean up after a botched "uninstall"? I for one welcome my "tedious" DEB overlords!

I know there's one Linux distro running around these parts which actually does just that, provide a "add/remove programs" interface to KDE. I don't remember who...but...they do...

\\//_

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 10:04 PM
However, who hasn't used windows and had to manually purge some registry key to clean up after a botched "uninstall"?

Not me. I would let the damage build up to eventual reinstall every six months.

The registry blows!

allforcarrie
June 27th, 2005, 10:14 PM

The registry blows!

thats the best part!

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM
thats the best part!

If you are a person that likes messes I guess.

I would say the best part is the sh*tload of third party software and drivers.

tread
June 27th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Lets not forget the scary messages like "This library is currently not being used by any other program, but if you remove it something might not work. What do you want to do?"

Huh .. aptitude is so beautiful when it comes to managing dependencies! I think windows users like downloading apps, installing them and then fixing the messed up uninstallations .. gives them a kind of kick to keep a clean system. Me, I much prefer to spend my time elsewhere :)

Kvark
June 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM

The registry blows!

I do that with linux too, even though it's not needed. After a while I can't remember what I have on the computer. An occational format seems to be the easiest way to make sure old programs and stuff I don't use anymore doesn't lay around and take up space.

MetalMusicAddict
June 28th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I myself am a Synaptic man now. ;) Though I do agree Windows does some things better.

My only thing windows does better is Explorer UI. VS Nautilis I think Explorer comes out on top. Im the kind of person who wants to get as much desktop space as possible.

Ide like to be able to do something like this:

http://img34.echo.cx/img34/2214/untitled7vj.png

Just to be able to move or remove the toolbars/icons really.

poofyhairguy
June 28th, 2005, 02:48 AM
My only thing windows does better is Explorer UI. VS Nautilis I think Explorer comes out on top. Im the kind of person who wants to get as much desktop space as possible./QUOTE]

You need this command:

[QUOTE]gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true

skoal
June 28th, 2005, 04:47 AM
"One thing that windows almost got rite.."
Integrated spell checker?

\\//_

codejunkie
June 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
You want this:

true it would be hard to get everyone to agree on it, but everyone doesn't have to because not every distro is intended for desktop os use but im just saying if just one major distribution or a few major desktop oriented distros like ubuntu redhat suse incorporated an easy installer like this easy device configuration and good driver support. and with some good media backing it would greatly increase linux's popularity, and maybe it would stop being classified as the underdog of all desktop operating systems by most people or should i say feared/refered to as that thing that hackers use insted of a stable opensource os that runs for days without crashes reboots etc. but linux right now all distros at times can be a bit of a pain to install on some hardware. and if this happened i dont think it would'nt be a bad thing like i've heard a lot of linux users say
if linux was popular i'd switch to BSD or back to Windows it would help all linux users we would start seeing more linux certified hardware, start getting some great software like photoshop ported to linux more games that run on linux natively without emulators to slow the down there preformance. basicly i think it would be an improvement for the linux community as whole because we would all benefit from it if a linux distro became a main stream desktop operating system as long as that distro remains 100% opensource so the improvements mainly driver/software compatibility are being passed on to everybody. and being that we have linux running under the hood we can always change what we don't like.

MetalMusicAddict
June 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser true
I am actually using the browser. I just wanna use the toolbars on the same line and remove icons. :)

The image I posted I made as an example.