PDA

View Full Version : Who works and studies?

Solicitous
May 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi All,

I've been curious for a while about how many people here on the forums work and also study (and also perhaps trade tips on coping with doing both concurrently). I'm currently working full-time as an IT Technician (Windows Blah!) and studying full-time doing a degree in Business (Accounting).
What about the rest of you? Anyone else working and studying at the same time??

beercz
May 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I have.

I have studied for a BSc in computer science whilst working - took me 9 years part time. Finished it 5 years ago.

Then I did an MSc in distributed systems and networks - took me another 2 years and 9 months. Finished it a year ago.

I am 45 and an IT Director full time and am involved in a part time business. And I am married with 2 children.

Anyone who says they don't have time to me just will not wash!!

Good luck with your studies, it's well worth it in the end! :-)

tribaal
May 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I do

I work full time as a software engineer (linux :) ), and finish my engineering degree (CS) on evening shifts.

It's pretty tough to keep up with everything, and it makes social life a vague notion, but I love what I do :)

- trib'

Jad
May 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I studied Political science and Law while working as developer and now I'm full time developer and thinking to take some short courses on many topics like Philosophy, Software engineering, History.

matthinckley
May 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I work full time at a corporate helpdesk and go to college full time studying for a Bachelors in Information System Security.. on top of having a 2 year old son I find managing my time is getting more difficult but I'm hoping it will be worth it when I get out of school.

On a good note I have successfully converted quite a few fellow students to Ubuntu over the last year or so.. the most recent was a total windows fan-boy until he tried out Vista (LOL)..

samjh
May 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I work full-time in marketing and study law part-time (I previously graduated with a CompSci degree, so it's a weird but interesting mix).

It can be very tough, especially if work demands sky-rocket during peak periods of the year. The key is time management - use every bit of spare time to study and revise. Read lecture notes during lunch breaks, etc. If you commute, sitting in a bus or a train is an ideal time for reading ahead or revising.

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I work as a developer (Windows, ASP.NET, SQL Server) and I'm about to begin studying to take some of the MS Certification exams. After that I'm looking towards a masters in something-or-other.

Unfortunately most of my time is taken up with the 3 kids at home (2,4,6) and a tired wife who gladly hands me the kids and goes hide somewhere quiet while I get them ready for bed. At least this will get easier as they grow up and they do more and more themselves.

So if anybody has tips for juggling the time I too would love to read some!

Elrohir
May 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I study Computer Science and work as a Developer (C# using Mono on Linux ;)) at a low profile company... can't complain...

ArtificialSynapse
May 17th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'm starting a job working part time in the city at Nissan while I study biology for a year. I just need 30 credit hours and than I'm going to Illionis Institute of Technology to major in biomedical engineering.

hopefully I can balance the two easily, living with two roomates to afford housing.

MontanaMax
May 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm 33 and a full time IT Program Manager in my day job, taking 2 classes at a time online towards an undergrad degree in business at night.

Should be done with the first degree next June, and debating on moving directly to a masters program or going for a program manager certification next.

beercz
May 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM
... So if anybody has tips for juggling the time I too would love to read some!

I know where you are coming from Dragonbite. My kids were born during my studies.

For what it's worth here are some tips I found useful whilst studying/working/having a family:

Be a good time manager. Always do a little bit every day, even if it is just 30 minutes. I compared it to jogging - I really felt bad if I didn't do something everyday, just like fanatical joggers who miss a day (I don't jog);

Have a big wall planner on the wall where you can see it, showing all your important deadlines - assignment submissions, exams, tutorials, classes etc.;

Plan, plan, plan;

Carry cue cards with you so that you can refer to them at any time (waiting for a bus, your computer to boot etc);

Agree with your family that you have 'your time' where you expect to be left alone to study. Aim to get all your chores etc. before this time. Mine was 9pm, so I had to get all my chores done before that time. My family agreed not to disturb me after that time until about 11pm;

If possible get a room that's quiet and separate from the rest of the family (I was lucky here - I had a complete study with my computer, phone, books, papers etc.);

Get yourself organized, prepare what you are going to do, when you are going to do it. Keep your study area organized and tidy, so you know where everything is and is easy to find. Don't waste time and getting frustrated looking for that important paper;

Same applies to your computer too, organize your data so you can find it easily;

Backup - essential - you don't want that assignment due to tomorrow be accidentally deleted and you have to start again;

Coffee, sweets etc. Whatever takes your fancy. Drink/nibble a little for when you have those 'natural breaks', not too much though, else you become distracted;

If you are very tired - stop! Do something relaxing and is a no brainer activity, or sleep, or some form of exercise (I used to swim);

Get yourself in the right frame of mind. Otherwise you will not concentrate;

Relax - you'll feel better for it;

Discipline yourself, ignore emails, instant messages, ubuntu forums. Turn off the computer if you don't need it. If you need to use it for your studies, turn off email, im programs etc.;

Make yourself little deals. 'I will finish this assignment then I will have a beer' for example;

I liked it quiet, but some prefer music in the background, do what's best for you;

Make your study area comfortable for sitting, If you get backache for example, you will loose concentration. Make sure the lighting is good enough and use natural light where possible. Studying in the dark is a nightmare. Don't make yourself too comfortable though, you'll 'nod off' (sleep);

Have a clock on the wall to time yourself, but don't clockwatch, again you will not concentrate.
During my 13 years of part time study these are all the tips I used, and they were effective for me, I passed well.

I even took my books, laptop etc. on holiday, and have studied by the pool, and in a quite corner of a hotel lobby. Just so I did a bit every day.

Studying to me is like a journey, you are taking steps to reach a goal. You will get there one day. Just needs a little work.

And finally, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Solicitous
May 19th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Some good points there. I noticed early on that I was having a bit of difficulty with time management between work, home life and study. Fortunately at the moment we don't have kids (I know they can be a big commitment time-wise). I've never thought of even trying to do little bits at a time, I usually try and spend a reasonable amount of time in go. I'm definately going to try doing little bits here and there. I'm not getting behind in my studies or anything but I definately recognise that I'm not the most time efficient person.

sloggerkhan
May 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I'm a university student, working near fully time in this summer as a computer support guy for a government office. Should be ongoing throuhg academic year. They use a lot of windows. It's kinda annoying. (But well worth the money.)