PDA

View Full Version : suitable for a 10 year old

davecambs
May 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hi all

My lad is 10 and is keen to learn Linux (with a bit of encouragement from me), he wants to learn the gaming side of things and I was wondering which might be a good starter program for him to learn at his age.

I guess I'm looking for something not too monotonous and preferably that can show quick progress results. Am I being too ambitious here ?

Any input will be welcome.

Thanks

Tomosaur
May 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
What about "I Have No Tomatoes"? It's a bit similar to bomberman. There's also Briqoulo, which is a 3d breakout clone (with some nice touches!). You can get both from http://www.getdeb.net

Both of those require 3d acceleration, by the way. Good little time wasters :P

slimdog360
May 17th, 2007, 12:11 PM
frets on fire is fun

davecambs
May 17th, 2007, 12:37 PM
thanks guys - are there any simple programming languages he can learn ?

davecambs
May 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Tomosaur
May 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Python and ruby are generally considered the easiest to get into if you have no programming experience, so I would choose one of those. Of the two - Python is generally considered to be more universal, while Ruby tends to be focused more on web apps. Both are easy to get to grips with though.

There are also some apps out there to teach the concepts of programming to kids. Check out kturtle, which uses the Logo programming language to draw shapes by walking a turtle around the screen (which is done by typing in a Logo program). A programming language is much, much easier to learn once you understand the common ideas - looping, conditions, variables etc.

Here's a very simple program in Logo. It will make the turtle draw 4 small squares, which combine into one big square:

repeat 4 [
forward 100
turnleft 90
forward 100
turnleft 90
forward 100
turnleft 90
forward 100
]

The manual for Kturtle (available in the help menu) contains a complete reference, so you can create fairly complex programs with it, and the turtle means you can quite literally 'draw' your algorithm, which means it's a lot easier to understand exactly what your program is doing. If you combine if statements with colour changes, for example (ie, if x < y, pen colour becomes blue, else pen becomes red), then you can easily see which path your program is taking. It really is a very underrated way of learning how to program, plus it's a good way to relax sometimes. I find myself sitting there getting the turtle to draw patterns.

slimdog360
May 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM
ahh, thats what you meant. Well there is python, but you need to have patience before you can do anything cool with a language like that. There is also something like gambas which lets you draw the graphical stuff and code it from within. Its easier to get something pretty but, in my opinion, not really great for more serious stuff, or for learning other languages later on.
Id suggest python, as most others will.

hoagie
May 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Python is really easy and it has many great features from various languages. Python is also not that strict such as python (ie. you don't have to define what data type an object is) ....

forrestcupp
May 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
While Python is easy, it's not going to be easy for a 10 year old unless he is a true, unbiased boy genius. He will be able to do some simple terminal things, but nothing gui. I would suggest at that age starting him on html. I know it's not technically a programming language that uses conditions, etc. But it really is a simple scripting language that for now will wet his appetite, and get his feet wet. With html, he will be able to create more visual things by using a scripting language. Then when he gets good at that, let him go to Python. When he gets Python down, it will be easier for him to go on into the more complicated stuff. But you're going to have to be patient. He's pretty young.

Tomosaur
May 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
While Python is easy, it's not going to be easy for a 10 year old unless he is a true, unbiased boy genius. He will be able to do some simple terminal things, but nothing gui. I would suggest at that age starting him on html. I know it's not technically a programming language that uses conditions, etc. But it really is a simple scripting language that for now will wet his appetite, and get his feet wet. With html, he will be able to create more visual things by using a scripting language. Then when he gets good at that, let him go to Python. When he gets Python down, it will be easier for him to go on into the more complicated stuff. But you're going to have to be patient. He's pretty young.

Agreed. Python is a real programming language, and although it's easy in comparison to say, C, it still requires time and patience to get into. That's why I recommend something like Kturtle - it uses a 'real' programming language, with all of the stuff he's going to have to get used to anyway (if he wasnt to program anything, that is), but is also a kind of game. You can challenge him to draw a house, or write his name using the turtle, or draw a circle, etc etc. So, he'll learn all of the inane programming stuff, but have fun while he's doing it. Best of both worlds!

davecambs
May 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
thanks for your input guys.. I'll take a peek at these and see what's suitable, something he can leave and pick-up would be good, I still need him out of the house playing with his mates as well.

mips
May 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Logo, Ruby, Basic ?

mips
May 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
... I still need him out of the house playing with his mates as well.

Very good point !!! Todays kids have become couch potatoes watching tv & playing consoles. Outdoors & social interactions are much better than any pc or game.

davecambs
May 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I have to balance PC time with outdoor time - if he's on the PC I'd like him to be more constructive than just playing games all of the time, but best of all I'd have him outside getting some fresh air.