PDA

View Full Version : When is it too late to get into computers as a career?

diargasm
May 17th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I'm turning Twenty this month and I still have not taken any computer (programming/engineering) courses in college. I'm wondering if the boat is sailing on this one. I have no experience in programming, a little experience on web design, and no experience on engineering/electronics. I've been taking accounting classes for my major and I'm wondering if I should get into something I'd love doing or something that will probably be more reliable and successful in the future - like accounting. Any ideas or suggestions?

karellen
May 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
never.
(or maybe after you turn something like fifty...)
:)
anyway, you should do what you like doing, not something that is more "reliable" or "successful". it's the best advice I could give to anyone

shazzed
May 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM
My Boss is like 60 and self taught himself CGI scripting in a year, and is very proficient in the language.
Your only 20 dude! I am a 25 year old graphic designer/ web developer and only just starting to learn PHP in my down time. It's never too late :)

karellen
May 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
My Boss is like 60 and self taught himself CGI scripting in a year, and is very proficient in the language.
Your only 20 dude! I am a 25 year old graphic designer/ web developer and only just starting to learn PHP in my down time. It's never too late :)

I second this :)

OffHand
May 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
anyway, you should do what you like doing, not something that is more "reliable" or "successful". it's the best advice I could give to anyone

+1

Lord Illidan
May 17th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Never too late...if you want to start, do it now.

WalmartSniperLX
May 17th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah it really isn't ever too late. Unless you're going to be in over your head you can still go to college at any age to learn what you want to do when you want :P Im 18 so I need to make up my mind if I want to go into computer science, drafting, or general IT. Heck I don't know if I am going to work on anything related to computers when begin college. I might go into business management.

Yoooder
May 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM
There are only two types of people whom I would not recommend programming to:

1) Those who have no curiousity in how things work (those who've never looked under the hood of their car, or taken apart an alarm clock)

2) Those who don't care if things are done right (they manage to fix everything with duct tape and wood screws--although I'm not saying there's anything wrong with duct tape or woodscrews, they just aren't the right tool for *every* job)

If you have any interest in programming pick up a "Teach Yourself" book and take your time through the first few chapters. The initial learning curve is the hardest part, and getting the vocabulary takes some time--but if you're at all logical you should be able to pick it up.

I'm 21, went to school for Networking and fell into a programming job. I had done a small handful of fairly simple projects and some basic webdesign. I've been coding for 8 months now, and while I still don't consider myself to be a "professional" programmer I've become proficient in .NET to where I can write up a plan of attack for a problem and implement it--even if things don't go quite to plan or portions get rewritten by a better developer.

It's never too late, you just need the drive and a moderately decent head on your shoulders.

Tomosaur
May 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm 20 and I'm in uni doing a Software Development degree. There are people on my course who are in their 40s, and they have no history in computer science.

I don't think there would be any barriers to your ability to get involved. Be careful though - IT is a very broad subject, and you're unlikely to get anywhere by saying 'I have skills in IT!'. Decide what it is you want to do, and train yourself to do it. If you don't want, or can't afford to take a university degree (or even college qualification), then there's no need to worry, because there are tons of standalone certifications than you can apply for. You take an exam and if you pass, you get to call yourself a qualified <whatever>!.

The great thing about computer science is that virtually everything you need is easily available. Not only do you have your own computer to play around with, but there are millions of resources freely available on the web to teach you anything you can turn your mind to.

However - make sure you find something you ENJOY doing. I have to take a lot of modules that I have no interest in, and they certainly impact my enthusiasm to learn anything at all. Find a topic that genuinely interests you and you enjoy learning about - there'll probably a career waiting for you at the end of it. It really depends on what you want to do with your new skills.

I personally don't really want a career in computers, but I do enjoy many of the topics surrounding it. Computers let you take virtually anything and mess around with it in a 'virtual world'. I really enjoy learning about chaos, things like the 'golden spiral', fractals, patterns in the universe and such. Computers give me a way to expand that and to experiment with things. I also have an interest in AI (although the minute details of AI can sometimes drive you insane), and of course, I'm interested in new technology so I have a better understanding of how things work.

Find something you really enjoy, then just learn around that, to be honest.

mips
May 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Bah, 20 ! You are still wet behind the ears you spring chicken. Go for it as it is still very early for you. I started studying at age 19 and working at age 23 or so. Before that I had computer experience from age 12 or so.

Why not mix accounting with IT. You don't have to do programming either as that you could always teach yourself. Learn stuff like IT processes, systems etc

You are definately not late to the party at all.

ghosting0
May 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm 19 and started my first full-time job a few months ago. I am working as a Systems Support/General IT guy. Since starting this job I have realized just how important it is to choose a career that you love over everything else. Working 40+ hours a week at a job you hate is going to make your life hell, no matter how much money you're making (IMHO). A full-time job really does take up the majority of your daily life. I am now surer than ever that this job is not for me. Luckily for me it is just a temporary position until I begin studying Cinematography :)

Too many people sacrifice happiness for material wealth or convenience. So my advice would be to follow your heart and do what you love doing!

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Nobody who is successful says "I hate my job" or "is it Friday yet?"! (well, not every day at least ;) ).

If you do what you love then you will take an interest that will not only help you do the job, but help you keep excited about it (which keeps your mind sharp, your creativity flowing, and your ability to improve on it to increase incredibly).

Keep an open mind too, because you never know where it is going to take you!

I was 26 and married (1 month after starting) when I was working in the Accounting department with a company that gave me enough room to teach myself MS Access and Excel VBA. I figured out how to use MS Access to help me with my Accounting duties.

I was 29 and became a father the day after they offered me a job in the MIS department based on my work with MS Access. They sent me to 3 classes (PICK, PICK BASIC and VB6) , none of which I was using at the time or ever really used while there. Even though they hired me to manage the data warehouse I had my "secondary goal.. to take over the company's web sites!". I was mostly successful and learned ASP in the process.

I was 34 and had 3 kids when I moved from that company into my current one. One reason they hired me was for my database, web programming and Accounting experience. I have gone to 6 classes so far (ADO.NET, ASP.NET, VB.NET, SQL Server and analyzing requirements) and am looking at getting certified.

I am now 36, a leading member of the DACS Linux Sig, Organizer of the Ubuntu Loco Connecticut Team, father of 3 kids (2,4,6) and I am looking at beginning to teach myself Java and/or Python.

(I'm pretty boring too.. a friend of mine graduated from flight school, became an instructor, got a job with a computer company that paid for his Masters degree, and now builds avatars and buildings for Second Life for large and multi-national corporations and individuals!)

Tomorrow? We'll see when we get there ;)!

ajifans
May 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Agree with mips, mix IT with accountancy.

I currently work in forensic accountancy, and our fastest growing area is in the area of Forensic Technology. Take our data analytics work for example. We perform testing on the accounting systems of major companies for signs of fraud. IT bods can perform the testing but don't understand the results, and Accountants understand the results but can't perform the testing. The few accountants that have the IT skills can demand high wages.

Even outside this niche area there is strong (and increasing) demand for people who can combine both skillsets.

sriku
May 17th, 2007, 02:17 PM
The general trend in IT is people enter as freshers and gradually move into senior arch positions' or (shudder) middle management. Its definitely possible for a 20 year old to get into software development in a big way.

There are plenty of options available, for instance, any university course would last 2 years, after which you can spend 2-3 years in a development job, and then quit when you are 25 for a Management degree. After this, you can get into IT consulting or get into a middle-mgmt cum software-project management position. A lot of banks like Barclay's, Lloyd's, and financial institutions like Morgan Stanley, Merill Lynch only recruit developers with some experience and a management degree, at least in Information Systems.

I've been coding for 2.5 years professionally, and been free lancing for the past 5 years, and I'm 25 now, so my next step would be either a Masters degree in Software or a Management degree. Though I haven't decided yet, I'd prefer to get into software-project management, as it appeals to my own personality.

You will have to decide though, commercial software development is not exactly nuclear science, but has its share of frustrations and pressures. My 2 cents would be, align with IT development now, and get above the immensely fragmented IT structure into management in the future.

And finally, dont rush into this without actually trying your hand at some basic coding/networking/databasing. Understanding the intricacies will come later, but atleast be aware of what you are getting into. Trust me on this. You do not want to spend 50+ hours a week doing something that you are qualified for, but wishing you were doing something else that interests you. Also keep in mind that IT is a very fragmented field, and while it is easy for entry level people to shift from one IT division like Databases into another like development, as you grow older, it will impact your career. IT recruiters are very wary of such trends, and be aware of their latent prejudices.

Speak with either a career counsellor or someone you know with professional IT experience. They will make things a lot clearer, and you will be in a better position to decide which path your career should follow.

Ok, enough sermonizing...its time for me to get back to what I love...Java programing :)

Eddie Wilson
May 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
It seems like I've been going to school all my life. Computers can take many different forms. Where I work I do a lot of PLC programing. That just one type of computer. I first started in electronics in the 70's, and started with my computer work in the early 80's. Those were the days. Anyway a computer career will always be in demand no matter what kind of computer it is. The future is wide open.
Eddie

beercz
May 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM
It's never too late.

I started in IT when I was about 29. Prior to that I worked with disadvantaged young people.

I am now 45 and still working in IT as an IT Director.

Along the way, I have studied for two computing degrees (BSc and MSc) part time as well as several other qualifications.

I am also involved in a part time business, again IT related.

It's not how old you are that matters, it's how good you are - and not just technically either.

As an employer of IT staff I think that being technically brilliant is simply not enough. Social and communication skills, as well as lots of motivation, drive, a willingness to learn, flexibility, good organisational skills, ability to prioritize and a good dose of common sense, as well as being skilled, experienced and qualified, are equally important too!

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM
As an employer of IT staff I think that being technically brilliant is simply not enough. Social and communication skills, as well as lots of motivation, drive, a willingness to learn, flexibility, good organisational skills, ability to prioritize and a good dose of common sense, as well as being skilled, experienced and qualified, are equally important too!Also an understanding that there is no ONE right way to do a project.

We had a process to update the data warehouse that involved
PICK system (source) to process the data and bundle it into a text file
VB6 process that parses, verifies and calls SQL to install the data
SQL to actually install the data
After one meeting to figure out where to do a lot of the data validation where the PICK guy argued to do it on the PICK side, while the VB guy argued to doe it on the VB side (and I could imagine a SQL guy arguing for doing it in SQL), I realized that their choice was based on what THEY were comfortable with, not necessarily "what is right". Any one of their solutions would have worked. Since it was technically my project, though, I got to choose which way we would go.

So I second the flexibility, organization skills and a good dose of common sense aspect and the social / communication skills.

beercz
May 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Also an understanding that there is no ONE right way to do a project. .....................

Sooooo true .....

ThinkBuntu
May 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Start learning a backend language like PHP, Ruby, or C# right now. In six months, learn a little SQL database, launch your own website and use this as a tool to further your understanding of real-world problems. In a year, you'll have a job (without prior experience, skills + proof = job).

ljcasey
May 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
of course you are not too old!

I had no qualifications in IT at all, when I decided to do a degree in computer science when I was 22, I graduated when I was 25 and im 26 now.

I say..get yourself to university, I had one of the best times of my life there and got a few letters after my name at the same time ;)

John.Michael.Kane
May 17th, 2007, 03:24 PM
of course you are not too old!

I had no qualifications in IT at all, when I decided to do a degree in computer science when I was 22, I graduated when I was 25 and im 26 now.

I say..get yourself to university, I had one of the best times of my life there and got a few letters after my name at the same time ;)

Graduating from a university does not always = a job in IT.

Besides asking "When is it too late to get into computers as a career" the OP should have also asked what is the best method for getting into the IT field, as theres many ways, and just having a paper saying you know xyz only gets your foot in the door.

ComplexNumber
May 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Graduating from a university does not always = a job in IT.
very true. when i were there, all the naive ones were believing that they were going to walk straight into a £30,000 per year job upon graduation.
having a degree merely means that the person is likely to get promoted at a slightly faster rate within the company that they choose to work for after graduation.

ThinkBuntu
May 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
When you're taking a dirt nap.

raymac46
May 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
never.
(or maybe after you turn something like fifty...)
:)

The correct answer is never. I'm in my 60s now, still learning about computers after 40 years or so. Maybe you won't get paid a lot (if at all) but it's never too late to start another career.

Concorde
May 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Find something that you enjoy doing.

I'm 29 and work six to seven days a week at a factory in a nearby town (I don't like my job but it pays the bills and puts food on the table). I do computer repair work on the side for friends and family (not charging for labor just for the parts). I like helping people the most and being able to solve their problems. I don't know what I will be going into as I have a vocal impairment (one of my vocal chords is paralyzed) which makes it difficult to understand what I say. I enjoy being a problem solver, I just have to find a job (something I enjoy doing) where I can be in the back doing work without directly talking to people. I mud admit that I am very anti-social around other people. That's why computers and myself get along so well. I can communicate with them without seeing the awkward look on their faces when I talk.

So yeah, do what you ENJOY doing and your career will be awarding.

Znupi
May 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have another (sort-of) related question. Is there any possibility that someone starts too early? I've been programming in php, mysql, js, html, css since the age of 14-15. I'm 16 now so I have an year and something of coding experience. I really love it, it's the only job I can ever think of getting. My only worry is ... am I going to get sick of programming? Will I ever not like coding anymore? What will happen then?