PDA

View Full Version : A small, eco friendly, low-consumption, powerful desktop

maniacmusician
May 16th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah. All that.

http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/16/enano-e2-mini-desktop-makes-you-feel-like-a-green-giant/

edit: Oh, and It's expensive as well :D

Tundro Walker
May 17th, 2007, 03:33 AM
I'm still hot to trot for one of these mini/fanless desktop pc thingies. But, sheesh, they're charging an arm and a leg just because they use recycled plastic in the case? (At least, after reading the article, that's what I understand. They said the cooling system is something better than a laptop, but everything else in the case is off-the-shelf stuff...so...)

Polygon
May 17th, 2007, 03:56 AM
you see the casing of that mini computer? i HATE THAT STUFF. why do companies (aka apple, whoever makes this small computer) use that type of finish on their products, it scratches so easily and shows fingerprints really freaking well.

it will look better have you handle it and put it on a desk and move it if it was just normal plastic, like the kind used in a normal computer case

and not to mention that if you know mind a low-medium performance computer, you could by one of those OLPC (one laptop per child) things when they come out. 200 dollars, have most everything that you need for a desktop and they use very little power, and even have a hand crank to generate its own power (i believe). And the reason its 200 dollars is becuase you buy two laptops, but one gets sent to a child in some third world country.

and not to mention that the case is like rubber and is meant to be dropped and abused

Not bad at all.

Dragonbite
May 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't throw one away if I got it for free, but I need something a bit sturdier.

tehbeermang
May 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I like the idea of a tiny computer that doesn't make noise. I'd rather build mine, thanks.

prizrak
May 17th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'd rather get the same thing from System76 at least I'd be supporting a preinstalled Linux vendor. If I really want a low power consumption desktop, I'll just get a laptop and hook up an external monitor OR I'd just buy a damn laptop (especially for the price they are asking).

diskotek
May 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i'm love this kind of boxes. i was planning to buy apple minimac before. may be these machine would be cheaper one day..