PDA

View Full Version : Amazon follows in iTunes' footsteps--songs without DRM for sale...

aysiu
May 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
More details here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6662439.stm

smoker
May 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
i'm glad some companies are beginning to realise the folly of DRM. it doesn't, and will never stop pirating, but most people will buy legal music if they can use it as they please, and at the end of the day, the money saved on introducing higher and higher levels of DRM to stop the latest and greatest cracks to counter it, may, hopefully be passed on to the consumer, making legal music cheaper to buy!

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
As long as Amazon doesn't create a Windows/Mac only interface for their store, this will be a great thing for Linux users.

dpmccoy
May 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
For now, I'm giving kudos to Amazon for making this happen.

DRM'd music could slowly become a thing of the past if more companies would stand up to the RIAA and sell music in this fashion.

matthinckley
May 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
As long as Amazon doesn't create a Windows/Mac only interface for their store, this will be a great thing for Linux users.

good point.. but we always have ies4linux i guess.. although mine flickers for some reason..

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM
good point.. but we always have ies4linux i guess.. although mine flickers for some reason..

That won't work if they do it like Walmart. Walmart has a Windows program completely separate from the web browser to purchase their music. Hopefully Amazon's sales will just be web based.

hsweet
September 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM
They only did it half right. You can download a tune at a time, but to get an album, you need to download a mac or windows program.

Sunflower1970
September 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
At this time, yes, but in one of their FAQ pages it says a Linux downloader for albums should be coming soon.

mustang
September 26th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Finally linux users have a legitimate alternative to iTunes that carries a wide selection of music. Just downloaded a single song---seems to be encoded in VBR hovering around 192 kbps

edit: and none of that non-explicit limitation that walmart employs!