PDA

View Full Version : Firefox issue

Ride Jib
June 27th, 2005, 04:28 AM
So, everytime I start firefox, it automatically loads the UNiversity of Minnesota webpage by default, yet my preferences say to load the Ubuntu default page.

...EDIT... It actually only occurs when I launch Firefox from my gDesklet starter thing. Anyone know how to stop this from happening? It's really ******* me off

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 05:14 AM
...EDIT... It actually only occurs when I launch Firefox from my gDesklet starter thing. Anyone know how to stop this from happening? It's really ******* me off

No. The person who made that thing went there I think....my friend tried for a while...its and either or thing...

The only thing I can think to do is no use Firefox. Ever tried Epiphany....in many ways it is better.

Ride Jib
June 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM
No I haven't, but I've got all my firefox extensions that I have grown very fond of. I think I'll just remove that icon from my starterbar. So much for the "customizable" linux... [-X

Thanks for the quick reply, poofy.

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 05:21 AM
So much for the "customizable" linux... [-X

Well....you could edit the source, take that "feature" out and rebuild the program. There is that option. Thats where Linux's customability is.

Linux- can do everything you want if you are willing to get knee deep in code.

Ride Jib
June 27th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Well....you could edit the source, take that "feature" out and rebuild the program. There is that option. Thats where Linux's customability is.

Linux- can do everything you want if you are willing to get knee deep in code.

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just a little frustrated now. Sometimes I keyboard-vent when I guess I shouldn't.

poofyhairguy
June 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I know. I guess I'm just a little frustrated now. Sometimes I keyboard-vent when I guess I shouldn't.

It cool. When I want to trick people into thinking I have OSX I install the KDE kicker instead, It can do that icon zoom thing, and it can be made to look like the dock. Just can't do the bouncing icon thing (thank God...I dislike that).

mike998
June 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Edit the starter - you will find a %u after the firefox command - what's happening is the google plugin is doing a "I'm feeling lucky" search when you launch firefox. It scared the hell out of me as I thought I had been hacked when this happened to me!

Ride Jib
June 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Edit the starter - you will find a %u after the firefox command - what's happening is the google plugin is doing a "I'm feeling lucky" search when you launch firefox. It scared the hell out of me as I thought I had been hacked when this happened to me!

I'm not sure I understand the situation correctly. I removed the %U from the starter, which resulted in my icon being changed from the firefox logo to a question mark, and when I click it, it does nothing. Am I supposed to add something after the %U? Or change it to something else?

I appreciate the insight.

Edit: Thanks man. I had to actually delete the old starter and create a new one. Works great now! LOL I too thought I got hacked, or had some of this mysterious "malware" I hear my friends talk about on their windows machines.