PDA

View Full Version : The Microsoft Patent threats

AlecWest
May 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I recently wrote an op-ed titled "Armageddon Begins - Linux (good) vs. Microsoft (evil)," published at the Associated Content site:

http://tinyurl.com/338ouo

Steve H
May 16th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Nice article. I can't see Microsoft winning too many of the cases if they ever do decide to push, seeing as a lot of other companies "tolerate" Linux's use of the patented work. And they certainly do seem scared (or at least worried) these days by the general backlash against Vista. But this should come as no surprise, every dog has it's day and I think Bill has had his?!

Shouldn't this really be in the Community Cafe section though??

:)

starcraft.man
May 16th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Shouldn't this really be in the Community Cafe section though??

:)

Some mod already beat ya to that :p

As for the article, I like it. The truth is we need more of this, something grass roots like the promotional "get firefox" campaign (maybe we should start a get Ubuntu campaign with buttons and logos? just a thought, it worked wonders for firefox). We need to get vocal and counter the MS BS that is going around. We need to make it clear how absurd the patent system is, and the fact that a large OS like Linux violating patents isn't really that uncommon given the fact that patents are handed out for the most absurd things anyway. Not to mention the fact that almost every piece of software violates patents, whether its open or closed source.

We also need to point to Windows and show people that it violates or has violated patents, it has just either bought the companies holding the patents out, used its massive leverage to get licenses or resorted to litigation (even losing sometimes, see the mp3 case). So MS isn't the benevolent one that has done no wrong, they've simply made their transgressions disappear from public view.

So good job alec :)

PS: Gah, took me 15 minutes to get this posted was making tea and a snack >.>.

koshatnik
May 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Ive always had a soft spot for Sun.

Sun speaks out against MS (http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/what_we_did)