PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way of closing help asking threads?

stefaan.dutry
May 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I was just wondering if there was a way to close your own created threads on the help forums when the problem had been solved.

By closing i mean making it impossible for people to post again on them.

This maybe only as a request to a forum moderater of some sort that then decides wether or not this will be done.

This would prevent posts starting again on old threads after weeks of inactivity on them

if (there is a way) then
how?
else
why not?

Thank you for anyone informing me on this.:popcorn:

LaRoza
May 16th, 2007, 02:00 PM
You can select "resolved" when you reply, which adds a [RESOLVED] to the title.

I don't know if you could post, but it gives a clear message so people don't feel compelled to answer, only read.

lyceum
May 16th, 2007, 02:00 PM
You can edit your thread to let people know the problem is solved. I think you jsut edit your origanal post.

sandman55
May 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You could edit your post or add to the thread to say the problem was solved and maybe supply the solution or a link to the thread with the solution so that other people with the same problem can find the answers or if you dont want to subscribe to that thread anymore click on thread tools at the top of the page and unsubscribe from that thread

stefaan.dutry
May 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
You can select "resolved" when you reply, which adds a [RESOLVED] to the title.

I don't know if you could post, but it gives a clear message so people don't feel compelled to answer, only read.

I can not find the resolved option anywhere

stefaan.dutry
May 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
You could edit your post or add to the thread to say the problem was solved and maybe supply the solution or a link to the thread with the solution so that other people with the same problem can find the answers or if you dont want to subscribe to that thread anymore click on thread tools at the top of the page and unsubscribe from that thread

I added to al my solved posts the solution i used and i add that it's solved in text; but i was wondering if there was a better way.

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I was just wondering if there was a way to close your own created threads on the help forums when the problem had been solved.

By closing i mean making it impossible for people to post again on them.

This maybe only as a request to a forum moderater of some sort that then decides wether or not this will be done.

This would prevent posts starting again on old threads after weeks of inactivity on them

if (there is a way) then
how?
else
why not?

Thank you for anyone informing me on this.:popcorn:

I don't like the idea, someone else could use your or my post to ask a related question that doesn't need a new post all over again.

maniacmusician
May 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I can not find the resolved option anywhere
On your first post, you click "edit", "Go Advanced", and there will be a box to check off if your problem is resolved or not resolved.

troymcdavis
May 16th, 2007, 02:16 PM

PartisanEntity
May 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I once requested a forum feature that would, after a designated period of time, pm a user and ask him to tick 'resolved' if his issue has been solved.

So many threads are solved but not tagged as 'solved' and it would help us all to know which one is successful.

But no one ever replied or commented on my thread...

stefaan.dutry
May 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM
thank you for the info.

It worked now.

troymcdavis
May 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM

PartisanEntity
May 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Could you think the thread? Sounds like a great idea. Could use a bump.

This is the thread I started some time ago:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=388414