PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu vs. kororaa

projectblu
May 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
has anyone else here ever tried out kororaa i took a look at it on my extra computer. and compared to ubuntu its absolute garbage. ubuntu is one of the best linux distro's ive tried. its clean fast easy to install and use. and very user friendly

disabled_20220313
May 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Kororaa isn't as good as Ubuntu because its a one-man-band distribution of Gentoo.

The project doesn't have the man power of Ubuntu, so cut it some slack :p.

It became famous for shipping the Binary blobs to showcase XGL and AIGLX.

%hMa@?b<C
May 16th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Kororaa is not the goal to really be a usable everyday distro it is a for of gentoo in order to showcase XGL + Beryl with non-free drivers.

adamJ5
May 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Kororaa isn't as good as Ubuntu because its a one-man-band distribution of Gentoo.

The project doesn't have the man power of Ubuntu, so cut it some slack :p.

It became famous for shipping the Binary blobs to showcase XGL and AIGLX.

So what distro can match Ubuntus man power then?

Adamant1988
May 16th, 2007, 07:52 PM
has anyone else here ever tried out kororaa i took a look at it on my extra computer. and compared to ubuntu its absolute garbage. ubuntu is one of the best linux distro's ive tried. its clean fast easy to install and use. and very user friendly

We really strive not to say completely biased things with no evidence on this board. You see, when you start doing things like that, the forum goers typically expect you to use capital letters, punctuation, and grammar.

Now, a quick glance at the Kororaa project website will show that this distribution is all but dead. With it's last major release page update being on.... Oct 03, 2006. So I would expect it to be a significant amount behind other distributions, in terms of what it is capable of. What you effectively did was picked out an piece of software that is old and rag on how it compares to a current piece of software. I'm pretty sure the GIMP is a dream if you compare it to photoshop 1.0, maybe if you write that 'review' people will stop complaining about it.

Death_Sargent
May 16th, 2007, 08:25 PM
here is the thing kororaa comes broken in many ways (trust me i know i have used it) ubuntu is leaps and bounds ahead of it .

If you wnat gentoo then go with saybayon it is worth it

Luffield
May 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I tried Kororaa a long time ago -- probably around a year ago -- and I loved it.

disabled_20220313
May 17th, 2007, 08:00 AM
So what distro can match Ubuntus man power then?

As a guess and off the top of my head.

Debian
Fedora
SUSE

These all have quite large and passionate communities. Though it seems Ubuntu has stolen the Linux limelight and become the golden boy. A good thing in my Opinion, it's easier to talk to the public about one operating system rather than "Linux is a kernel".

If the popularity of Ubuntu ever took a nose dive it would be one of the above distro's that would take up the slack.

Obor
May 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Kororaa is the only live cd that gets beryl working without problems on my 5 year old laptop (with ATI M6 card) so it can't be all that bad :)