PDA

View Full Version : Im sorry this had been said before I hate Microsoft

ade234uk
May 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM
All these stories about Microsoft and saying that every Linux user will need to pay Microsoft to use it is a complete joke.

In fact its getting right up my nose and I hope one day Microsoft pay for all the lies and torment that they dished out for years, however I think Microsoft are at a low point in their history and I think they are slowly and I mean slowly not the dominance force they once where.

This sort of crap that Ballmer keeps coming out is seriously going to hurt the image of Linux in my opinion. For me and you we know that Microsoft are scum and we know what they are up to, however the average user will take this information on board and will be scared to use it. Remember Microsoft are the experts and heroes for these people.

I wish someone in higher authority could step in and ask Microsoft to prove what they are saying. If they can prove this then code needs to be changed. If they cant prove it, then Microsoft should be sued.

Last week someone actually came on the radio and said that Bill Gates is a legend and that his software makes his life easy grrrrrrrr.

misfitpierce
May 16th, 2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says

Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.

WalmartSniperLX
May 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM
bahh don't let it bother you. People shouldn't even be talking about ms or bill gates when they use Linux anyway. Let MS do what they want and laugh at them when they try and bring down *NIX. It doesn't matter if theyre working with Novell. The purpose of the agreement is to help allow certain programs or features work between platforms. However, all the newest creations from MS will only work in Windows. DX10 is one example of MS trying to lock out competition. The deal with Novell is a joke. They won't sue anyone, instead they would rather just try and take over more of whats left of the free world.

misfitpierce
May 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM
bahh don't let it bother you. People shouldn't even be talking about ms or bill gates when they use Linux anyway. Let MS do what they want and laugh at them when they try and bring down *NIX. It doesn't matter if theyre working with Novell. The purpose of the agreement is to help allow certain programs or features work between platforms. However, all the newest creations from MS will only work in Windows. DX10 is one example of MS trying to lock out competition. The deal with Novell is a joke. They won't sue anyone, instead they would rather just try and take over more of whats left of the free world.

Well said... couldn't have said it better :popcorn:

anaconda
May 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Maybe it is all a plot...

I guess the thruth is:
Microsoft has borrowed stuff from linux and now they want to make "deals" that say that linux wont sue windows and windows wont sue linux.. That was what the SUSE and RH deals practically said. Neither will sue neither.. And if I remember correctly M$ even paid for SUSE to make the deal..

All M$ is trying to do is to get all major distributions to sign the deal by scaring them with claims about "patents".

How about that for an idea.

lobner
May 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
That's right... different OS'es should be able to co-exist, each targeting their own group of users.

Windows has, for many years, been the heavy-weight on this scale, but now Ubuntu has drawn the "nerdish" Linux environment more to the middle.
For the better or worse, the opinions are many, but with the vast number of different distributions out there, distributions which surely fulfill a broad spectra of wishes and demands, I think it is alright.

Also I think it seems that at last, Microsoft are beginning to open their eyes, looking beyond proprietary software development, and starting to focus their income areas on other things than software. Which is also what, their General Counsel, Brad Smith (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/05/28/100033867/index.htm?postversion=2007051405) must realize before he retires.

Much is said about people bashing each other, with Windows-this and Linux-that, but in the end, the platforms are merging, and developers are learning from each other. Exactly as it should always have been :)

mips
May 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM
And I'm getting really tired of all these "I hate Microsoft" threads & the other bashing thats constantly going on here, it's tiring and it does not make you look good at all !!!

WalmartSniperLX
May 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
And I'm getting really tired of all these "I hate Microsoft" threads & the other bashing thats constantly going on here, it's tiring and it does not make you look good at all !!!

That's why I made an Apple thread for a change :D Even though I am not bothered by either companies. :lolflag:

Adamant1988
May 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
All these stories about Microsoft and saying that every Linux user will need to pay Microsoft to use it is a complete joke.

In fact its getting right up my nose and I hope one day Microsoft pay for all the lies and torment that they dished out for years, however I think Microsoft are at a low point in their history and I think they are slowly and I mean slowly not the dominance force they once where.

This sort of crap that Ballmer keeps coming out is seriously going to hurt the image of Linux in my opinion. For me and you we know that Microsoft are scum and we know what they are up to, however the average user will take this information on board and will be scared to use it. Remember Microsoft are the experts and heroes for these people.

I wish someone in higher authority could step in and ask Microsoft to prove what they are saying. If they can prove this then code needs to be changed. If they cant prove it, then Microsoft should be sued.

Last week someone actually came on the radio and said that Bill Gates is a legend and that his software makes his life easy grrrrrrrr.

Oh please, Microsoft is a business and any business would be getting the kind of flack they do. However, the average user doesn't care about Microsoft, you'll occasionally get some freak that swears up and down that the software the company produces makes his life easier. Sort of like Windows-Fans are probably sick and tired of hearing Linux users swear up and down (on their sites, shows, and forums) that Linux has improved their life.

Even if Microsoft can prove there is infringements, they won't sue or even think about legal action. They're not the only one with a big patent portfolio.

poohbear1616
May 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Even if Microsoft can prove there is infringements, they won't sue or even think about legal action. They're not the only one with a big patent portfolio.
To me it gives the impression of lashing out like a spoiled little kid throwing a temper tantrum. I agree with Adamant1988 and believe it is meant to be a scare tactic. I admit it gets my feathers ruffled when redmond acts like this.
I live in the US and believe this would be a suicide mission for microsoft, given the fact that so many American companies and even the US governement uses linux and other open source systems in various capacities.
Microsoft apparently is not smart enough to realize this only hurts their PR with the world. People all over the globe including in these forums as well as other forums read about their actions. Microsofts image can not gain from this.

forrestcupp
May 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Microsoft probably won't pursue legal action, but they are achieving one of their goals. I would bet there are people who were interested in Linux and were thinking about switching that heard about all of this in the news and decided not to switch. Even if they know nothing can legally be accomplished, they are scaring people into staying with Windows.

dca
May 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
We're missing something here, though. MS knows it holds such marketshare on the desktop side w/ the WinXP MS-Office combo (what is it, a billion$ a day or something) that they don't care that little Peter in Sheboygen, Wisconsin runs Linux on his Pentium III workstation. The point to this was scaring (FUD) not just Fortune 1000 companies but all larger enterprises into 'if you're not running Windows Server, to at least use a MS authorized server OS such as Novell SuSE Linux Enterprise Server'. Geesh, that even upsets me writing something out of my sense of humor such as 'Microsoft Authorized OS'....

TekNullOG
August 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
It seems that a lot of people in Quebec hate Microsoft too. Groups just deposited a lawsuit against the government for using their software.

The full article is available here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=903878