PDA

View Full Version : help with username and password

spangltk
May 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I ran wubi last night on my computer, it started downloading and I walked a way. A few hours I came back restarted and selected ubuntu on the boot screen. It started installing ubuntu and I walked away again. I came back later to a red screen saying my login name wan incorrect because of a certain char. I looked at what it said was my user name and it said Foo Bar, which is my user name for my XP machine. I thought it might have been the space inbetween the two words making it invalid so I changed it to "spangltk" and it seemed to have fixed the problem and I left again.

I came to it this morning and it was on the windows login screen, I rebooted it, selected ubuntu and now I can't log into it. I've tried all the passwords I know it could have picked of the XP I've also tried nothing and blank spaces as passwords. Do i have to resort to a re-install?
thanks

heimo
May 15th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Reboot - select revocery mode in boot menu (grub menu), and use passwd to change your password.

passwd spangltk

logan1441
May 19th, 2007, 02:45 PM
how do i open the grub menu?? sorry im really a newbie @ this

logan1441
May 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
like if its where you reboot and it asks you which operating system, i have that but theres no recovery mode

heimo
May 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
At the beginning of boot process - when your computer starts - there's should be grub menu, and if it's not there, you could hit ESC couple times at the correct moment to enter it. If you see something flashing on the screen about grub - hit ESC.

heimo
May 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
like if its where you reboot and it asks you which operating system, i have that but theres no recovery mode

Ok. Then there is probably some way of doing this in Live-CD too. I'll try to figure it out and I'll write back.

logan1441
May 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
when installing, i get this thing like apt-get something or other failed. it then says i dont even have the apt-get program.

heimo
May 19th, 2007, 02:55 PM
EDIT: Oh - Now I see that you're not the original poster. And these instructions were written like if you were.

Ok, untested instructions which should do it, but may still contain errors:
Boot from your install / Live-CD.
open a terminal window
sudo fdisk -l
you'll get a list of partitions, see which one is your Ubuntu root partition (should be one "Linux" under system column), see what's the "device" on that one
sudo mkdir root
sudo mount /dev/sda1 root (use the /dev/ from the fdsik -l output above)
sudo chroot root
sudo passwd spangltk
give new password twice, close terminal, reboot to your Ubuntu

heimo
May 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM
when installing, i get this thing like apt-get something or other failed. it then says i dont even have the apt-get program.

Please open a new thread for your question. It's very confusing when people jump into threads with their questions.

logan1441
May 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
ok i did:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...46#post2683146