PDA

View Full Version : Firefox vs Epiphany

kragen
May 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Why is it that most users use firefox instead of epiphany? Epiphany is better in just about every single way, apart from the fact that it has a GTK interface, so it looks better, it also loads faster, has a fair few nice features (for example search bookmarks), and uses the same rendering engine anyway. The only thing I can see that firefox has up on epiphany is that if you right click on a misspelt word in firefox it brings up a list of corrections, which epiphany doesn't seem to do (is there any way to fix this, or do I just need to wait for the next version?)

So really - what has firefox got up on epiphany that I'm missing? a particular plugin perhaps?

EDIT: Also, I'm sorry that this is another "What browser are you using" thread, but the last one didnt have epiphany in it, and I wanted to compare epiphany / firefox users

earobinson
May 15th, 2007, 02:25 AM
Firefox for the win.

starcraft.man
May 15th, 2007, 02:48 AM
So really - what has firefox got up on epiphany that I'm missing? a particular plugin perhaps?

Well, I've used both and I'm a firefox man through and through.

As to your question what does firefox have that epiphany doesn't...
- Widest range of plugins that I know of (including some of my favorite like customize google, media player connectivity and tab mix plus)
- Easy theme selection not to mention my favorite browser theme ever, noia 2.0 extreme.
- And security, between no script, ad block plus and cookiesafe, I am very happily browsing, they stop all the annoyances.

Those three things are my reasons, I'm sticking with firefox though its never let me down. Some people say its slower than opera or epiphany, but I haven't noticed much of a difference... and even if there was a marginal change in time, I can't sacrifice my plugins :)

pmj
May 15th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Extensions. There is no browser on this earth that has even a tenth of the functionality of Firefox. Of coruse, other than that Firefox is nothing special.

starcraft.man
May 15th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Of coruse, other than that Firefox is nothing special.

Maybe so, of course there is always 3.0 to blow our minds :D

reclusivemonkey
May 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Again, its the Plugins/Add-Ons/Extensions for me personally. I use the del.icio.us bookmarks extension to manage my bookmarks, as I just have far too many to manage conventionally. I also like to be able to access them all from work. I also find the gmail manager very helpful, I don't think I could live without that. Other essentials are

Adblock
Flashblock
Filterset.G
ColorZilla
Forecastfox Enhanced
Greasemonkey
Stylish
Web Developer

karellen
May 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
both doesnt' qualify?

brim4brim
May 15th, 2007, 01:33 PM
both doesnt' qualify?

No because most people have a favourite.

I change web browser all the time. All of them **** me off for various reasons and eventually I just have to change. ATM I'm using Opera when browsing in windows and Firefox when in Linux although I just installed epiphany last night to try it out and like it.

Firefox wastes way too much memory.

Kuoi
May 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I use Firefox , and it is also for the plugins .

AdBlock Plus , Tab Mix Plus , ... and last week I find an other very nice one "Imacros for Firefox"

And every time I try an other browser ( my last was Kazehakase ) , I 'm thinking "Hmmm , ... is that it ?".
And I don't want to waste any more time for a second less loading time .

I'm used to Firefox now , it's all configured to my wishes thanks to the plugins , so Firefox it is and will be for a very long time.

Kuoi

Anthem
May 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Please, not this again.

Ok, all of the Firefox users are idiots. We just don't understand basic gui design, don't have a thorough appreciation of tight integration, blah blah blah. We're all idiots. If only Ubuntu would switch the default to Epiphany, because anyone stupid enough to use Firefox would be better off with Epiphany. The few who could tell the difference could switch back if they wanted.

There, I've just summed up the next 50 pages of this thread. Now we don't need to read responses from the dozen epiphany users who know so much more than the rest of us.

EDIT: Previous versions of this thread can be found here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=439280
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=93219

prizrak
May 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM
There should really be a both option. I chose "other" because I use both of them. When I read books online I generally use Epiphany as it is less resource intensive, which translates into longer battery life. I'm a very basic user and would switch to Epiphany but at the moment Firefox has some features I like:
1) You can Right Click on any bookmark group and choose to open them all in tabs. Aside from Ubuntu forums I read about 25 websites every morning, 20 of them are webcomics so it's very nice to just be able to read the latest issue and close the tab.
2) Live bookmarks - I'm not a big RSS guy, there are a couple of news sites I will visit but I want to know what the articles are before hand. Also works well with torrents if you happen to follow a series.
3) Weather plug in - just plain doesn't exist in Epiphany.
4) Alt+S - I'm typing this from Epiphany and I can't post with Alt+S.
5) Since there is no Google bookmarks synch for Epiphany it's more difficult to use multiple systems with it (Not a problem at the moment).

Oki
May 15th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for letting me know of Epiphany - gonna try it.

Somthing strange; if you run Feisty Fawn with gnome, and use aptitude to remove Firefox - it will remove FF and also install konqueror for you(wouldn't it be better to install Epiphany in gnome when it is based on gtk and also supported by ubuntu?).

kragen
May 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Please, not this again.

Ok, all of the Firefox users are idiots. We just don't understand basic gui design, don't have a thorough appreciation of tight integration, blah blah blah. We're all idiots. If only Ubuntu would switch the default to Epiphany, because anyone stupid enough to use Firefox would be better off with Epiphany. The few who could tell the difference could switch back if they wanted.

There, I've just summed up the next 50 pages of this thread. Now we don't need to read responses from the dozen epiphany users who know so much more than the rest of us.

EDIT: Previous versions of this thread can be found here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=439280
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=93219

whoops, didn't realise this thread topic had already been "done" so extensively before :P

mainalisuyog
May 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Live RSS bookmarks.

prizrak
May 15th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for letting me know of Epiphany - gonna try it.

Somthing strange; if you run Feisty Fawn with gnome, and use aptitude to remove Firefox - it will remove FF and also install konqueror for you(wouldn't it be better to install Epiphany in gnome when it is based on gtk and also supported by ubuntu?).

Epiphany requires FF installed, since Mozilla (despite promising) never released the engine by itself anything that uses the engine needs FF installed.

Matthaeus
May 15th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I would like epiphany to support multiple ie tabbed homepages.

Matthaeus.

ahaslam
May 15th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I mainly use Firefox. I would have Epiphany as an alternate browser if it didn't depend upon Gnome (I use Xfce). I have Sea Monkey as my backup, it also includes an IRC client & HTML composer which is handy ;)

juxtaposed
May 15th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Epiphany requires FF installed, since Mozilla (despite promising) never released the engine by itself anything that uses the engine needs FF installed.

Since it is open source, wouldn't it be easy to take the source and make the engine stand-alone?

Oh, and about the topic, I use SwiftFox (an optimized version of Firefox).

I used to be a fan of Opera, but I switched a few days ago. I don't remember why, oddly enough.

The number one feature a browser needs for me to use it: Automatically save your tabs when you close it. I can't possibly see why all browsers don't do this. Opera has done it for many years, and Firefox can do it with an extension (SessionSaver). I'd like to use something lighter then firefox - maybe IceApe (SeaMonkey) or Epiphany, I just need it to automatically save my session.

prizrak
May 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Since it is open source, wouldn't it be easy to take the source and make the engine stand-alone?

You'd think but it hasn't been done yet.

The number one feature a browser needs for me to use it: Automatically save your tabs when you close it. I can't possibly see why all browsers don't do this. Opera has done it for many years, and Firefox can do it with an extension (SessionSaver).
Actually all you need to do is just enable an option in Preferences, where it says "When Firefox starts" one of the options is to restore your last session.

Xanatos Craven
May 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM
The only two things I really depend on Firefox for is a Yahoo Mail notifier and the Web Developer toolbar. I used to be dependent on other extensions and live bookmarks, but screenlets, checkgmail and liferea have taken the list down to two. I don't have anything against Epiphany and think it's an okay browser. I'd like Opera more if it wasn't so ugly in non-KDE linux desktops, but that's just me being picky.