PDA

View Full Version : Free CD-s for Ubuntu marketing

sevcsik
May 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hi!

I just recieved 3 ubuntu CD and I can't do anything with them. I've even forgotten that I had ordered them :)

But I thought what if I give it to people on the street or in the subway? Would it be a good campaign to Ubuntu? I think if more people woud do this it could be a great marketing.

Cause here in Hungary, ubuntu's (any any other linuxes') marketing is equal to zero, whie Vista is being advertised quite heavy.

I'd like to ask someone at Canonical if this is a good thing or it's just a waste of resources?

tgm4883
May 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Seems like a waste of resources. Giving people these cd's without any (or very little) guidence is going to get you about as far as the free aol cd's do. Sure some people do install it. But I think your over estimating the effort people will use on these cds that your giving them

sevcsik
May 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Ok, then I'll give them to some friends :)

hellmet
May 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I have a few dapper cds still, and I had nearly the same idea !! :D ..
I was thinkin of leaving cds at places like the Bank, Shopping malls, or at parking places on cars, where people would definitely notice it, and have a look at it. Also, one can expect some kind of curiosity in people who visit such places, instead of giving them to ppl. on the street :D

maniacmusician
May 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have a few dapper cds still, and I had nearly the same idea !! :D ..
I was thinkin of leaving cds at places like the Bank, Shopping malls, or at parking places on cars, where people would definitely notice it, and have a look at it. Also, one can expect some kind of curiosity in people who visit such places, instead of giving them to ppl. on the street :D
Please don't hand out outdated CDs. Dapper was good, but Feisty is much better. Never give away antiquated stuff to prospective users.

GameManK
May 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Why don't you see what your local community team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam) is doing?