PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite...

Rhox
May 14th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Programming languages,libraries/APIs (not too many people have favorite libraries but it's still worth asking), editors, numerical analysis software/Computer algebra systems and, other things that at least somewhat relate to programming. Also, tell me why you like them. You don't need to limit yourself.

Hendrixski
May 14th, 2007, 03:35 AM
kind of a silly question...
but I'd have to say Java is my favorite language. and my favorite API would have to be the GeoTools API. It's used for geoinformatics programs, so if you wanted to make your own google earth you can. And more. It's used in a LOT of stuff, especially in government. It's Java of course, and once you learn all of the umm... weird design decisions, it's really fun.

Favorite editor is VIM, even though I rarely use it anymore since I'm more productive on Eclipse. If I have to type anything formal, it's on OpenOffice.

Favorite algebra ... never really did like applied mathematics. Theoritical math is more fun.

n0dl
May 14th, 2007, 05:23 AM
hmmm... my favorite language is a tie between C and perl

Compyx
May 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
6502 assembly and C.

Akibania
May 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
C++, OpenGL, STL
maybe Python as well

Unit testing

LaRoza
May 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
I don't have a favourite language, but I am most used to C++ and PHP.

My favourite editor, for Windows, is Crimson Editor. That is the one program I use on Windows that can't part with.

foresth
May 14th, 2007, 05:20 PM
PHP / C# / Ruby / Delphi :)

tkjacobsen
May 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM
octave for numerical computetions, the inner most loops written as c++ functions using the octave library.

Rhox
May 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
bump

joe.turion64x2
May 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
My favorite DE is Gnome.
My favorite music player Amarok.
My favorite Email client is Evolution.
My favorite browser is Firefox.
My favorite Linux distro is Fedora.
My favorite office suite is OpenOffice.org
My favorite LATEX editor is Kile.
My favorite movie player is Kaffeine and
my favorite MSN client is aMSN.

Upps, and for programming I like Scilab, octave, fortran, and C.

std
May 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM
My favorite programming language is C for now. I'd go for C# if it had a decent environment (Mono is, sorry to say it, a sour joke compared to Microsoft's thing, maybe not in terms of runtime but certainly in terms of development). I also use LISP when I get the chance, but it's kind of prohibitive at times.

My favorite library is Qt, although I'm in a love-hate relationship with C++.

My favorite editor is Emacs and that's about it :D

black_ice
May 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Perl , Bash , Java

Rhox
May 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM
^

RedSquirrel
May 19th, 2007, 01:59 AM
C. JavaScript has some interesting stuff in it too.

slavik
May 20th, 2007, 06:35 AM
c, c++, perl, gtk+, all system libs (semaphore, phtreads, etc.), opengl, perl arrays and hashes (you can do so many neat things ^^)