PDA

View Full Version : Unable to access internet

baldwinian
May 13th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I have Edgy Eft running on an old Dell. I have managed to get the wireless network card from Linksys to detect signals from my router. When I do iwlist I see my wireless network.

When I try to access internet using Firefox I cannot connect.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Kishen

madmetal
May 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I have Edgy Eft running on an old Dell. I have managed to get the wireless network card from Linksys to detect signals from my router. When I do iwlist I see my wireless network.

When I try to access internet using Firefox I cannot connect.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Kishen

check on your laptop for DNS settings and at your router for wireless settings.. if there are any rules for access or block content..
Does Network manager say you are connected to wireless network?

UAResolved.

langyaw
June 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
check on your laptop for DNS settings and at your router for wireless settings.. if there are any rules for access or block content..
Does Network manager say you are connected to wireless network?

UAResolved.

I am a complete idiot with Ubuntu.:( can you please give me step-by-step instructions in working with Network Manager so I can connect to our Linksys broadband router?

Yasumoto
June 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Open up a terminal, enter in these commands, and paste the output back to us:

uname -a

cat /etc/lsb-release

ifconfig

iwlist scan

langyaw
July 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Open up a terminal, enter in these commands, and paste the output back to us:

uname -a

cat /etc/lsb-release

ifconfig

iwlist scan

I'm typing the terminal's response since I don't know how to switch from Ubuntu to Windows without rebooting to be able to copy and paste. I hope I'd made no mistakes in typing them.
Below are the responses:
COMMAND: uname -a
REPLY: Linux ubuntu 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 06:42 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
COMMAND: cat /etc/lsb-release
REPLY: DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=intrepid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.10"
COMMAND: ifconfig
REPLY: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:68:98:d3:d8
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:2859463368 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:218 Base address:0xe000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:486 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:486 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:30448 (30.4 KB) TX bytes:30448 (30.4 KB)
COMMAND: iwlist scan
REPLY: lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

Now, what should I do? I'm excited to see Ubuntu being able to access the Internet, finally. I just might drop Window$ altogether. :popcorn:

Yasumoto
July 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Would it be an option to upgrade to the newer (9.04) version of Ubuntu? Sorry to make you type everything out, but thanks for sticking with it. Maybe try burning a new Ubuntu 9.04 CD and see if you get internet while booting from that? Let me know if you don't want to upgrade, and we'll keep working on things.

langyaw
July 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Would it be an option to upgrade to the newer (9.04) version of Ubuntu? Sorry to make you type everything out, but thanks for sticking with it. Maybe try burning a new Ubuntu 9.04 CD and see if you get internet while booting from that? Let me know if you don't want to upgrade, and we'll keep working on things.

I'd just want to try out this version first, rather than going back to square 1. I'm worried about what a new install might do. Like I told you, I'm a freshie with Linux. I'd really appreciate the help. :) BTW, I've downloaded the Ubuntu guide for 8.10, but I can't find anything in it that will help me with my problem. it seems to assume that once Ubuntu is installed, it can immediately access the Internet. :(

langyaw
July 15th, 2009, 01:51 PM

thanks, Yasumoto. I followed your advise, downloaded and installed 9.04 and in 2 clicks, I'm online! :guitar:

Yasumoto
July 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Great news :)

Honestly, this might sound embarassing, but when I first started using Linux, I probably re-installed from scratch 10 times or so. It was usually just easier to have a separate /home partition, and be able to start over if I was playing around with stuff that didn't work.

Generally I'd say it's best to be running the latest stable release of Ubuntu, as that has the most polish/solid software running.

Be sure to post again if you have any other issues :)